• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Another good night in the coon woods.

Started by coyote101, December 21, 2022, 08:58:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote101

We went back to the farm Monday evening to see if we could get any more coons. We ended up shooting six coons and a possum. One of the coons fell in the river and wasn't recovered, and we left the possum where we shot it. All in all, a pretty good evening. This coon hunting thing is turning out to be a lot of fun.

These guys won't be eating any turkey eggs in the spring:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

pitw

Atta boy Pat. 
Think you could get one with a slingshot?
I say what I think not think what I say.

Hawks Feather

Looks like a good time. They do sink like rocks if they hit the water and you never want your dog to get into a fight with a coon in the water. The coon will climb on the dog's head and hold them under drowning them. I was with a coon hunter who went into the stream to save his dog when the coon had it under water. His hands were pretty clawed up and a couple of chew marks on them, but he saved his dog. He told me afterwards that when he was young and hunting with another who had coon dogs that one was killed this way.

Okanagan

WTG Pat! 

I still haven't gotten out.  We got a foot of snow as I got over my latest cold and all I've done is charge my electronic caller and find a few items of gear as prep for a real hunt.

Good on you for getting out!

coyote101

Quote from: pitw on December 21, 2022, 09:35:11 AMThink you could get one with a slingshot?

In a tree, probably not. One of those on the ground, I bet I could.  :biggrin:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

coyote101

Quote from: Okanagan on December 21, 2022, 10:19:55 AMI still haven't gotten out.  We got a foot of snow as I got over my latest cold and all I've done is charge my electronic caller and find a few items of gear as prep for a real hunt.

I hope you get to feeling good enough to get out there soon, Clyde.

Pat
NRA Life Member

Okanagan

Quote from: coyote101 on December 21, 2022, 10:47:58 AM
Quote from: Okanagan on December 21, 2022, 10:19:55 AMI still haven't gotten out.  We got a foot of snow as I got over my latest cold and all I've done is charge my electronic caller and find a few items of gear as prep for a real hunt.

I hope you get to feeling good enough to get out there soon, Clyde.

Pat

Thank you! 

Re the slingshot:  I killed a large barn rat with a slingshot and ball bearing when I was a teenager on our farm.  What surprised me is that the approx. 35 caliber ball bearing penetrated through the rat and stopped against its hide on the off side.  Side to side mid ribs shot.

JohnP

Good post Pat keep them coming. 

I haven't been out calling for three years, can't walk, can't shoot, can't damn near do anything.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

nastygunz

When I was a kid dad had a giant Great Dane named Atlantic, we used to bring him and let him run with the coonhounds. They were originally bred to hunt wild boar. He wasn't the greatest trailing dog but let me tell ya when it came to killing coons he was the king!

FinsnFur

That looks like a lot of fun :jump:
Too bad you couldnt cash in on the hides for a little more fun.  :eyebrow: 
The one in the river is going to make a nice cat fishing hole in a week or two. :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com