• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Season finally opened.....

Started by Arkyyoter, October 01, 2006, 09:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkyyoter

Well, season finally opened today!! Whew....took long enough!!! At any rate, we had a lot of things going on today, and we were unable to go out till late this evening. My brother-in-law Jim (JimmyV) and I didn't have a lot of time...it was 94 F and very windy!!! Not the best conditions, but it IS opening day, Ya Know?? So we run out right quick to a place we have never called....we made a cold stand not knowing anything about the property....nadda.....I knew another place close enough that we could jump in the truck and be there in just a few minutes.....so we walked in the long way around. The wind was stiff, out of the east and south east, and it was oh so stinkin' hot, but Jim set up on the eastern edge of a very large field, facing westerly. I set up about 40 yards east of Jim to watch the back door....I set the JIB up on a knoll where it was visible from about everywhere. I pulled out a little prototype call and started in with a really nasty rabbit, nasal and high pitched....about 45 seconds into the first sequence I hear BOOM.....no bark, no nothing just BOOM.....I go into KiYi's as I can't see what's going on over there.....then in just a couple seconds...BOOM again!! I go ahead and call a while longer but after a few minutes, my curiosity is killing me...so I get up and go over to Jim....There lays a big male with a huge head.......I say he would go 35 lbs....He came in hard and fast, Jim didn't have time to get his shooting sticks or anything, just a quick offhand shot....he made it good and then put a second one in his neck...DRT!! We tried one more stand just before dark, but to no avail....at any rate, Jim broke in his new Remington .243.... the new little prototype proved its' worth and we got the season open...WOOHOO!!!

Thanks for reading our story!!

Joe

Jeb

Congrats Arky ! Good story and start of the season.
                Jeb

Bob D

Way to go Arky and JimmyV. I know what you mean about hunting in the heat. It isn't as much fun fighting the mosquitos and snakes when its hot. That's a great way to start your season off. Congratulations! :congrats:

fuzz624

Nice going Arky.Your season starting of better than mine.Everytime i make plans to hunt it rains like he!!.Sooner or later it is bound to stop.Good luck

iraMD