• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Map of failed setup what went wrong?

Started by erickrschaefer, March 10, 2008, 03:58:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

erickrschaefer

I posted this question on another board and got some good feedback and would like to know what the members here think.

I made a stand last month that brought two coyotes into 20 0r 25 yards and ended up not getting a shot. The stand location was on the edge of a fairly big clear-cut with a large open blueberry barren to my backside. The wind was out of the SE and my approach was from the N using a slight depression for cover. I was watching and had my gun pointed along the edge of the clear-cut and the mature softwoods, there is a deer trail here that I was hoping the coyotes would use. I had a good line of sight to about 40 yards along this edge. This is represented by the blue line on the map. Visibility into the stand of pine and fir was limited at best and visibility into the clear-cut was about 25 yards max. There was about 18" of wet snow in the clear-cut. About 2 minutes or so into the stand I heard something moving towards me along the closest yellow line. As I turned my head to look in that direction I saw a coyote trotting in at about 25 yards. As I swung the gun in his direction he saw me and turned and disappeared. I also saw movement along the second yellow line going away from me and tracks conformed it was a second coyote that was also coming in. I would like to know if there is anything I could have done or should have done different? In hindsight I wonder if I should have taken my stand at the point NE of the red dot. Thanks for helping out.

Jimmie in Ky

The only thing I would have done diferent would have been to setup about fifty yards out from the woods corner.

Movement to get the shot is what busted you. Had you been that littel bit further out you could have given them the time to get in front of the gun. And you would still have been able to watch what came from the timber side of things. That urge to move is the hardest thing for all of us . I still do it myself once in a while. I think everybody does no matter how seasoned they are.Jimmie

erickrschaefer

Jimmie,
Thanks for that advice.

I have shot quite a few deer from the ground at similar ranges and let me say that you can get away with a hell of a lot more movement with deer than with coyotes . 

I will keep plugging away and eventually all the pieces will come together.