• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

broke in the new (to me) AR-15

Started by lankrod, January 27, 2009, 07:33:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lankrod

Went out early sunday morning for some nighttime calling. The first stand brought in a grey fox, that got a free pass. We don't see many greys, and decided to give this one a chance. A few stands later, and we have a bobcat in our lap. Seeing how they're protected in our great state, he got a free pass too. After a few more dry stands, it's another bobcat that gets to walk. By this time, it's daylight, and we head for a field we had a little luck at last year.

I set up near the corner of the woods/pasture, and Larry sits a about 50 yards up the treeline from me with a good view of the field. About 10 minutes into the call, I hear something running thru the woods. I have just enough time to get my fingers out of the glommits, and prepare for a shot possibility. About 20 yards from me, I see the coyote duck under the fence, and pick up speed again. He runs straight past me, no more than ten feet away! When he get by me, I start to turn and get a bead on him. He sees the decoy, and starts slowing to a stop. Just as he stops, I pull the trigger, and get the spin routine. Then he starts doing the death march across the field. 20 yards later, he's down for the count.

We called several more promising locations, but came up empty handed.

It was nice to finally get to use the AR, as I saw it, used, in a gun shop in Sept. and did some trading to get it. I'd been eyeing the AR's for some time, but just couldn't afford it, and finding it used eased some of the sticker shock. Trading didn't hurt either.

I finally got a scope on it a week or so ago, and got it sighted in. It's a Bushmaster Predator, and so far the only problem is I don't reload. Looking into that after season is over.

alscalls

AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

cb223

CHAD

Frogman

You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

slagmaker

Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

coyote101

Way to go!  :yoyo: Thanks for the picture and story. Nice looking rifle. Congratulations.  :congrats:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Silencer

Great story and pic, my brother has the Bushmaster Varminter and its a tack driver. 

Congrats  :congrats: :thumb2:

FinsnFur

Yeah, you broke it in alright. Nice job.

Nice looking yote, looks like some real nice fur.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

iahntr

NICE !!
both the yote and your gun.  :yoyo:
Scott

vvarmitr

WTG Lankrod! :yahoo:
I see you have a luminated reticle scope on your gun.  Other than Jimbo, I don't know anyone that has one.
Is this your first LR & what do you think of it?

lankrod

I really like it when hunting at night, ecspecially under full moon nights when not using a light.  This reticle has an adjustable brightness, which is great, because it's easy to make the reticle too bright - for my eyes anyway.

SCcoyotehunter

ilcoyote

Man I cant believed you lay that gun on that bloody dog. Looks like our winter is over. Had another bad night last night. We have had 15 dogs in the last few night to come in and NO FUR. Waiting on this wind to die down to check out scope.

SCcoyotehunter

msmith

Mike

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI