• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

more randomness

Started by snafu, May 15, 2013, 05:32:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snafu

Abit windy out.

These two pups seen me sitting amongst some milkweed & field grass. On a small berm near their den site. The female being a little curious came my way. With her male litter mate in tow. They milled around 15' away or so. Then she bedded down near me.

Many hunters have seen a fox or coyote cut through wind as they travel or hunt. I'm convinced they do this for a few reasons. For one, they cover more ground vs traveling in a straight line over the same ground. So there is a better chance of picking up scent over the same ground. Another reason is, they do not like wind blowing directly in their face.
"Smartest man, knows but a grain of sand. In the desert of truth"

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

snafu

Wind was varible that day. Slight winds at times with gusts around 30mph.

snafu

Dave

Great pics - really enjoying them!

snafu

Thanks Dave, I enjoy taking them.

Old Red den. One or both of the adults used this den. All yr around on & off. Mainly (when not rearing pups), they used this old den hole for hard shelter. During harsh Winter weather, such as blizzards & ice storms. Even during harsh weather, sometimes they bedded elsewhere. Red Fox are notorious for sleeping all day, during the daylight hrs. Versus the coyotes.

I've seen a lot over the yrs. But I sure have not seen it all. It would be foolish to think so. Not many yrs ago. I didn't believe a pr of Red Fox or coyotes. Would keep back a yearling female through the following breeding season. Well one season I seen both canines do that. Interesting

coyote101

Those pictures are fantastic!  :highclap:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

snafu

Thanks Pat
----------------------
For the time being anyway. I'm convinced(for lack of a better word) an adult male Red, will/may keep one of his female yearlings. In his area for breeding purposes only. Because I have seen close clusters of Red dens. Without other adult males in the area.

I have read a pr of coyotes will do this on occasion. Keep a female yearling back. I didn't believe that initially some yrs back. But I do now.

I have watched an adult pr of coyotes disperse/scatter their yearlings. This was an older pr of coyotes whom I have watched a few yrs in a row. Both times on consecutive yrs. They scattered their pups during the 3rd wk in December. Why then I thought? why the same wk? Well I got to thinking more on that. For the time being. I believe that "timing" is/was based upon when the old female came in heat. More so than any other factor.

The day of the dispersals. The whole family group was together. The male walked up to each yearling. Took them by the neck, they submitted. Et he pushed their head/neck & upper chest area down onto the snow. Et held them there. The old female sat by watching all of this. There was only one female yearling in the group one yr. When it was time to submit her. The old adult female joined in on that...holding that female yearling down. The following days, all of the yearlings were gone out of the area. It was awesome to witness.

snafu

Being mauled, oh feel the love lol

FinsnFur

Thats a good one too. Everyone say "CHEESE!"
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

snafu

The litter of 5, is right at 12wks old. The litter of two, were from a young female. She had her den site 1/4 mile from an old female who had the litter of 5.

FinsnFur

Are those recent pics?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

snafu

Large litter is 3yrs ago. Two kits are from 2yrs ago. The young female(2 kits) only used her den 1x, then left. A little odd. A female Red will often have more than one den site. The old main den site, then a back-up or two den site. Three active dens I've been watching/(wasting my time) recently. All of the females moved their litters elsehwere. Because of all the recent rains I believe. Females don't like their young ones wet.

snafu

We had two Red kits when we were young. One of them latched onto my Bro's hand & wouldn't let go (death grip). Bro had to squeeze its jaws to break free. I laughed my *** off. As I had a front row seat.

FinsnFur

How far away do you think you are in most of those shots Snafu?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

snafu

Jim, the female with her pups around 200yrds +/-
Just the pups, anywhere from 15' - 30'

The pups, I get them use to seeing me from a distance. Then I slowly close the gap over the following days. My experience, the females are easier to get close to than the males. Interesting, (adults or pups) are more in tune to high pitched sounds vs low base pitched sounds. Low base sounds they often dismiss. Not always, but often. I've snuck in on hundreds of adult Reds in yrs past. I've got quite close to many of them. Even though the ground or snow cover was loud.
No self respecting coyote would allow that.

FinsnFur

Thats definitely both interesting and amazing info.
30' from the pups, boy that would be pretty cool.
Nice work for sure. I am definitely enjoying what your posting. :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

snafu

Really, not amazing at all Jim. Dependant upon where the den is located. ie; human activity/exposure or lack there of. Anyone who moves slow & pauses often. Et does not pose a threat. Can sometimes get quite close to an active Red Den. Closest I've been to a pup was around 6'. Closest I've been to a female with pups was around 30'. She acted like she wasn't watching me. But often she would quickly glance my way to see what I was up too. Sneaky females, lol

FinsnFur

A stealthy mountain lion moves slow and pauses often :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

nailbender

Some more great pics Snafu! And some interesting observations as well.  Really enjoying your visit! :congrats: