• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

A couple for the freezer.

Started by coyote101, November 09, 2008, 09:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote101

I went out last month for the earlly muzzleloader season and shot a pretty nice doe for the freezer. I lost sight of her in the smoke cloud and didn't have much of a blood trail to follow. It took nearly an hour to finally pick up the trail and locate her. I found her at the bottom of a ten foot deep sink hole. All four legs were down in the drain hole at the bottom. Getting her out of there was not much fun. I kept the tenderloins and backstraps and ground everything else. So far I've made six pounds of salami and eight pounds of summer sausage. My wife's not crazy about venison, but she really likes the home made salami. I passed on a little forkhorn and a  pretty nice eight pointer the next evening. I don't think I'll shoot a buck this year unless its bigger than the one I have mounted.

This is my doe at the bottom of the sink hole.

If the hole had been just a little bigger, she would have dissappeared underground!

I went out yesterday day for the opening of the modern gun season. Passed on a little six pointer and a couple of does early yesterday morning and didn't see anything else the rest of the day.  Went back out today and passed on a small spike this afternoon and then shot this nice doe.  She was pretty close, so I shot her in the neck to avoid that whole tracking thing. Tomorrow will be spent skinning, butchering and processing her.

T/C Encore in .308 did the job.

Hero shot

Pat

NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

coyote101

I was having some problems with photobucket.  :shrug: :shrug: but I got it worked out. It was operator error.  :innocentwhistle: :innocentwhistle:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

FinsnFur

WOW
I dont know how ya got her outta that sink hole, but your lucky it was any deeper :whew:
She's gonna be some good chewin :eyebrownod:

Nice job, thanks for sharing it.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

pitw

That'd be a bitch to get her out of :argh:.  Good job and I'm happy to hear you enjoy the eating. :yoyo:
I say what I think not think what I say.

alscalls

WTG.............. :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: I cant wait till the does start dropping here. I am going to kill a few myself. :eyebrownod:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Silencer

Thats when its good to have a 16yr old son thats almost 6ft and a couple hundred pounds to help get her out of there.  You can borrow him if you'd like, I'm sure he wouldnt mind hunting other states lol..

Congrats, thats a nice sized doe. 

vvarmitr

Quote from: coyote101 on November 09, 2008, 09:23:56 PM

When I first saw that pix I thought "Good Lord, Pat shot that deer coming out of its burrow."  :shck:
:roflmao:  :roflmao:  :roflmao:

Good shooting Pat!  :congrats:

Hawks Feather

Pat,

Way to go on the deer.  Getting that doe out of that hole would have been a royal pain.  I guess that I would have been wondering if I got down there if there would have been a layer holding the deer and the weight of two of us would have been enough to drop both of us down even further.  I guess I just really don't trust things that look like that.  Now that other doe is a biggie and since she was a bang flop I wouldn't have worried at all about it.  I am sure you will enjoy the venison.

Jerry

Frogman

You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

KySongDog

Nice job, Pat!

I haven't been able to get out for gun deer season yet. Hope to go this weekend and see if there are any left.  :biggrin:

Roundman

That's good pictures, ya don't see that every day. Good job!  :yoyo: