• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

"A May Day" Silverback..

Started by HuntnCarve, May 01, 2009, 09:48:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HuntnCarve

As I glanced out the back deck door, my morning cup of coffee in hand, I noticed a dark shape on the edge of HH2. â€" Let me explain.  I have two woodchuck holes on my property, which I have named “Honeyhole1 and Honeyhole2.  In the 17 years I have lived here, these two den holes have been like a magnet for wayfaring chucks.  Without a word of a lie, I have taken over 150 grundel hogs (PA Dutch) from their bountiful depths in that time period.  [Last two years respectfully yielding 24/year, each year. First year living here, a whopping 33!]
But I digress… Back to the story…
    Before I could reach for the set of binoculars on the nearby table, the shape (a mature Silverback!) scrambled into HH2.  The hunt was on!  Rushing to the master bedroom and the gun safe.  I frantically dialed up the combination.  Time was of the essence…Miraculously I did not mess up the combination!  Grabbing the Ol’Mossberg ( A gift from my wife’s grandpap Francis) I quietly slid open the range (err, bedroom) window and obtained a shooting position 20 yards from the hole.  From this lofty perch, I have waylaid a myriad of nomadic chucks.  Picking up the hole in the scope, I debated turning the power down from 9x on the variable to help improve the clarity of the field of view?  But decided I would leave it be for now. As I waited out my quarry at the edge of the slightly opened window, I cringed at the intensity of my wife’s voice as she yelled from the bathroom mere feet away, “What do you see?”..as she was getting ready for work.  “Shsssh” I whispered yelled through clenched teeth!  He’ll hear you!”  “Who will hear me”? She hollered back… Leaving it be, I once again concentrated on the job at hand, of mentally lifting that subterranean whistle pig, out of the depths of HH2.  Minutes passed with out a sighting?  The hiss of the wife’s deodorant can momentarily distracted me, almost causing me to miss the blur of movement far to the left of HH2 and closer to HH1!   It was a mature Silverback!  He was ambling back towards HH2! -He must have pulled a retreat manuever and backtracked while I was battling the gun safe?  Slipping the safety off on the Mossberg, I knew I would have to carefully place my shot if and when it presented itself?  The small .22 CB short in the chamber demanded precision placement, as learned from scores of earlier chucks that bore testament to its nasty little sting!  As I followed the galloping chucks movement by watching the tall weeds move, I braced myself for the shot opportunity….It was at this time that the chuck, apparently seeking to utilize some elevation as an observation post, clambered up the ridge underneath the bluebird box.  There he stood erect, and cast a nervous glance up toward the curtain veiled figure in the window in the house above.  I quickly locked the crosshairs to a spot just below his ear, and squeezed the trigger…a resounding “Plop!” greeted my ears, and I watched the chuck topple over and roll down the bank.  I immediately chambered another CB.  But it was for naught.  For the chuck was lying on his back, his feet slowly pawing the air.  It was the “dance of death”.. Not to be confused with the “tail twirl of death” that a freshly shot, and unknowingly dead chuck will perform when on his belly.  Chuck No.3 on my property was in the books!

Post mortem report:  The portly male was dispatched by a single CB just below the ear.   No sign of exit.  A back up shot was (H&R Model 999 Pistol) was not required.  His back and shoulders were exhibiting signs of hairlessness.  Possible mange?  The wife had left for work, so there was no "hero" shot.  Besides, she fails to understand my exhuberance after a successful chuck hunt? 
I carried him to “buzzard ridge, where the clean up crew will make short work of him.  They are starting to arrive as I write this.  So until next time.  Enjoy the great outdoors!

Subnote:  I like to separate my chuck tally numbers.  Keeping those taken on my property, separated from those taken elsewhere.  My Actual overall harvest so far this year is six. [3/3].  I have high hopes of adding to these numbers as the season progresses!  "May the back pastures treat you well!"

Above: View from window looking down on HH2

Above:  No.3's final resting place after shot.

Above: Always be prepared with backup firepower!

Above:  Note the armament that these boars possess!  Pity the hapless hunter that underestimates him!

Thanks for listening!

Dave

pitw

Wow I'm starting to understand the fear that these critter's instill in people.  Thanks for taking me along on the adventure as I was right there in the recliner watching.
I say what I think not think what I say.

vvarmitr

Dave: You surely live a charmed life taking on Hoary Marmots w/ a 22CB.  :laf:

Frogman

Great story!  Man, thats one nasty looking whistle pig!!  Didn't know they got mange too??  They have become scarce here in my part of WV.  Some of us think the coyotes are taking them???

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

HuntnCarve

Thanks guys!

Vvarmiter, I may be taking my adversary a little lightly in regards to the CB's?  But in a quest to fly under radar of potential nosey neighbors (not to mention preserve marital harmony with the wife), I've elected to utilize the "quiet" , albeit low impact, little round.  -My carefree attitude in this regards has almost cost me. As once I was "tail pulling" a supposedly dead whistler out of the mouth of a HH1.  When his back legs gave a convulsive kick!  Fortunately I exhibited a superhuman burst of strength, and heaved that snappin little varmint a full 10 yards behind me.  I can still envision those yellow incisors flashing past my rib cage, as I performed the "reverse softball pitch"!  The H&R soon became a constant companion on my forays, and has taken the "sass" right out of a couple of ornery chucks!   As a seasoned professional such as yourself knows. It's a dangerous game!  Don't let your guard down!

Dave

HuntnCarve

Frogman,
The past couple of years mange has been pretty bad around here.  I found it on several chucks and even skunks that I've killed.  The fox have not been spared either.  I guess it's just Natures way of correcting an imbalance.  It still gives me the willies when I have to dispose of a carcass.  -The turkey buzzard however, seem to appreciate it, and suffer no ill effects dining on the delicacies provided them!

vvarmitr

Quote from: HuntnCarve on May 01, 2009, 11:03:58 AM
 As a seasoned professional such as yourself knows. It's a dangerous game!  Don't let your guard down!

Dave

That's why I tote that Ruger 45LC w/ 300gr XTPs stoked for bear.  :huh: 
Even if I don't hit 'em the concussion will stop 'em.  :biggrin: 
Also been thinking about one of those Saiga Shotguns for backup. They had one at the local gun shop the other day. I saw it & the first thing I thought was "I wonder how this would work on g'hog?"  :laf:

alscalls

Thanks for sharing Dave I enjoyed that... :eyebrownod:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

HaMeR

Purdy cool story Dave!! Thanks for dragging me along with you like Dad used to do 40+ years ago on his hunts.  :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Hawks Feather

Dave,

All I can say is that you were lucky you got him on the first shot.  Had you missed or only grazed him he would have charged your house and we possibly would have never heard from you again.  We would only have read in the paper about a hapless widow who lost her husband to the "Teeth of Death."

Jerry

Hidehunter

Good Story Dave.  I felt like I was lookin over your shoulder holding my breath as you touched the CB off.  :yoyo:
Denver                                           

HuntnCarve

Hawk,

Ah, but what you didn't realize was that I knew the wife would be going out the door first on her way to work.  A wounded hog would have taken the bait, and charged her. Where as I would be waiting up on the front steps with a weapon in hand ready to thwart his charge. Rather noble don't you think?  -[I saw this in a movie once where the hunter coaxed out a wounded lion with some bait. His unsuspecting friend] Same principal.  The only drawback would be if I missed?  Either way, I would be dying at the hands of an angry wife, or an angry groundhog?  I'd just assume to take my chances with the groundhog come to think of it?

Hidehunter

:roflmao:  :roflmao:  :roflmao: I Understand That
Denver                                           

Bills Custom Calls

Great story Dave

I used to use those CB Caps while coon hunting and they are great for traing a dog and helping with a gun shy
puppy
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

FinsnFur

I almost spewed fresh Cope onto the desk when the wifes deodorant can hissed. :roflmao: :roflmao: It actually kinda scared me.

I dont know how ya manage to type this stuff up Dave, but please never let it end. :wink:

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Frogman

Dave,

Your writing and storytelling skills are nearly as well crafted as your call making and carving abillities.  Notice I  said, "nearly".  You are a talented man.  I look forward to more stroies and more beautiful calls!!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

msmith

Great story Dave! You are fortunate to have such a population of Pasture Grizzlys so close. Like Jim said, they are a little scarce around  here now.

Gotta love those H&Rs for back up. The 999 is a sweet little revolver. I personally have a 949 that has taken more than it's fair share of Grizzlys out of the barn.
Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori

nastygunz

THAT.....was...beautiful.... :bowingsmilie: