• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Ugly Howler

Started by JohnP, March 31, 2010, 03:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

Got a notice in the mailbox a few days aog that I had a package at the post office.  With all that's been going on I just this morning got around to picking it up. 

When I got it open the first thing I noticed was this damn ugly howler.

Further exploration revealed an even uglier call stand:

I am truly impressed with the quality of craftsmanship that Dave produces time after time.  I have never seen a piece of his work that I did not admire.

A stand as nice as his needs quality calls sitting on it, each of the calls shown here have called in coyotes and/or bobcats.  No call will ever be placed on this "shelf" until it has proven it is worthy of it.  His howler is not included in the next picture as it has not called in anything - yet. 

When they come for mine they better bring theirs

Todd Rahm

Well both those fine ugly items seem to blend in very well with your desert theme.  :biggrin:

You also have some fine calls there, but what seems to stand out is the Ernie Wilson calls.  :innocentwhistle: Ernie hasn't and generally doesn't promote his calls very much, and for some reason ya don't see a lot of them. these days  :confused:  So whats the story behind yours John?  :biggrin:

JohnP

Ernie and I are the best of friends.  A few years back I invited him out to call some critters and he accepted.  He spent a week at our house and had a great time.  After listening to him call I differed to him every time we went out.  When he insisted that I call I turned on the e-caller.  I asked him to make a call for me using the antler of the first deer my daughter killed, although reluctant to do so he relented and this was the end result:

Being the person that he is he also sent me his first four call set:

I probably have about a dozen of his calls and they are all pleasant to the eye and the ear. Truly a fine caller but an even better person.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

Todd Rahm

Thats neat about the call he made ya from your daughters first deer. Those are the types of calls with more value then money can ever buy.  ;yes; and you sir have one super friend there.  :wink:

Thats first set of four he sent ya sure would garnish the attention of anyone entering the room. I'm lucky enough to have several of his calls too, one of which is a set the wife bought me one year. (Probably the only calls she has ever bought me.)

Thanks for sharing John.

Hawks Feather

Great looking collection of calls and on a very nice display board.  I suppose we should feel sorry for you since you have that ugly howler.

Jerry

FinsnFur

Boyyyyy that is ugly :huh:
Most everything Dave produces is quite ugly to be honest with ya. I'm impressed at how ugly he even made the stand for it.

Were doing opposites, right? ugly is beautiful. :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

weedwalker

Nice ugly howler you got there John. And I think I've actualy seen that stand up close before. ;yes; Dave does some beautiful work.

HuntnCarve

John,

Glad everything got there, and that you are pleased.  What I did notice is that there's atleast 16 coyotes/bobcats sitting on that display?  And I'd venture to guess that my estimate is falling way short?  That's more impressive in my book than any ugly calls. LOL! 
Oh well, in the meantime I'll start working on a add on addition to your display. -The rate you are going, you'll be running out of room soon.  And I'll see what I can try and do to "Pretty up" my calls?  - I need to get a lesson or two off of that Hawks feather, or Yotehunter Brad characters.  Those are the guys that set the bar in my book.  I see a couple of Brad's calls in the front row.  So that tells me I'm correct in my assessment. :wink:  Thanks again for the kind words!

Dave

HaMeR

Horrific!!  :puke:

What a collection you got going there John!! These guys are all top notch craftsmen & woodworkers.  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Yotehntr

:nofgr: Dave don't use my work as a bar, you'll be going backwards my friend.  I have a feeling that it won't be long till that howler adorns center stage.  :yoyo:  That is a heck of a nice display you have going John, it's awesome for them to have to "earn" their place! I like the way you operate.  :wink:
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

golfertrout

all you guys do a very good job :yoyo: craftsmanship at its best. all you call makers send me one of your best calls and send Als calls the bill :biggrin: :biggrin:

GunDog

That is a very nice looking collection there Mr John. Hats off to ALL the call makers! :yoyo: