• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Bad Ammo??

Started by alscalls, March 07, 2011, 04:51:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alscalls

A friend of mine found this arrowhead while in Texas last week..... And he gave it to me.
Seems the maker never finished it..... as it was getting too deep on one side making the edge crooked and the tip fat...... Purdy cool even back then they had a scrap pile.....  :alscalls:
Really there could be a bunch of different reasons it was un finished...... still pretty cool!

AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

riverboss

Thats pretty neet makes you wonder doesnt it.

Okanagan

Just noticed this thread.  Interesting piece alright.  I wonder if it was left in a defective pile or if it was used to hunt?  Where it was found might tell the story.

In my early teens I visited a village site on the Columbia River that had an obvious arrowhead manufacturing spot.  It was a rock that had a perfect saddle for sitting astride and a raised front end on the "saddle" that made it ideal to sit on and use the front end as a work bench.  Fine small chips from arrowhead production were 8 inches deep around the workbench rock.  In the debris I found two arrowheads.  One had the tip broken off halfway up and had been discarded on the spot.  The other was a perfect arrowhead of black obsidian volcanic glass.  I figure the maker dropped it and didn't find it.  That site is under the deep water behind the John Day Dam now.

Stone arrowheads and spear/atlatl points I've found in the field have always been single ones, probably from a miss the hunter/shooter did not find.