• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

King o the Mountain!

Started by nastygunz, December 30, 2021, 10:28:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

Great pics!  Love those birds.  They are the best tasting meat in our woods and I wish they weighed 50 lbs. apiece!

One of my sadnesses re moving from BC is that there are 5% as many grouse here, probably even fewer than that.  I think I saw four total this Fall while hunting deer and elk.

On a good grouse Fall in N. BC I killed four in one spot with my .22 and a limit of 10 (in those days)  before 10:00 AM as incidentals while cruising back roads to vantage spots to glass for moose.  Some years I'll bet pitw has boodles of grouse around his place.

pitw

My favorite meat bird as well.  We have tooooo many Raptors and coyotes around here, plus a lot of treed areas have been cleared.  I have not shot one with a gun for a good spell but try and get a couple with the slingshot every year.  Do have a few that live in the yard but they is safe. :shrug:
I say what I think not think what I say.

nastygunz

I like to hear them drumming in the spring time. We call them Partridge in these parts.

Okanagan

Yep, enjoy the drumming.  You can thump/slap your chest to make the drumming sound and get them to reply sometimes.

In my second or third year in British Columbia, at a grassy place where an old road split off the one I was driving, the whole intersection was covered with grouse.  I grabbed my .22 and realized that I had no .22 shells with me.  With grouse all around, I ransacked the 4x4 and came up with 3 rounds of .22 discovered in seat cracks, bottom of glove box, etc. 

I killed three of them and the rest stood around and looked at me.  I had no .22 ammo, not even any rocks handy to throw, and didn’t want to shoot them with my 06.   Seems like there were 14 (16?) left when I ran out of ammo, probably three hens still with their broods, in mid September. 

nastygunz

FinsnFur

How many of them can ya fit in a frying pan? :eyebrow:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Okanagan

Quote from: FinsnFur on December 31, 2021, 07:36:34 PM
How many of them can ya fit in a frying pan? :eyebrow:

I think that there were two whole grouse breasts in the frying pan below, prob. a 10 or 11 inch pan.  But I had already eaten some when I took the pic, not sure but more likely 1.5 grouse breasts in pan below!   I like to lop off each side of the breast boneless, then slice it across the grain about 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick, and saute/fry it in butter for about 30-60 seconds on each side.  Tender, killer good taste.

Another good way to cook grouse in the bush is to bone out the breast, sprinkle on some salt and pepper, wrap in foil and bury in campfire coals for 8 minutes (if it is has been a decently hot fire for awhile to build some coals.) 

One Thanksgiving my wife filled a large crockpot with boneless grouse breasts and cooked them into some kind of gravy.  Best Thanksgiving meal ever!

FinsnFur

Oh lawdy lawdy  that sounded good

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

nastygunz

How big is your frying pan? :eyebrow: