• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Weird sound in the woods

Started by Okanagan, April 02, 2022, 11:10:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

Heard a loud, odd sound out in the woods the other day, kind of a huge belch that echoed through the trees.  I think it was a black bear but am not sure.  It made the sound twice, closer the second time, and I think it was directing it at me.

The first time, I accidentally cracked some dry twigs and within less than a minute the first bark/bellow/belch sounded from a few hundred yards away.  I was curious but didn’t pay much attention as I headed toward my intended calling spot. 

Two minutes later I was 75 yards farther and brushed through some alders that were bent down across the old road.    The sound I made wasn’t loud, but immediately the belch came at me again, this time from around a bend only 100 yards up the road.  This time I was pretty sure the animal was responding to my brush cracking.

It seemed to be an interrogatory sound, asking, “Who or what are you who is breaking brush over there?”   I considered calling back immediately with the hand call around my neck, but decided to go ahead and set up my lion stand and see if the critter came in to that.  I heard a few faint sounds in the first five minutes, then nothing for the rest of the hour. 

We’ve heard black bears make some weird sounds in spring, likely mating sounds, though never this particular sound.  A beef cow could make this sound, as could elk, probably deer, probably coyote and I’m sure a bear or cougar could make it.

‘Nother unknown curiosity and this one chalked up to an amorous bear.

nastygunz

you already know I'm going to say this......BIGFOOT!... :biggrin: