• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

hey fellas

Started by bigben, April 05, 2022, 03:56:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigben

How ya been.  Was sitting the other day in the mountains wondering where and what some of yous guys had been up too. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

nastygunz

Wow! its been awhile, still catching those big catfish?

bigben

Honestly not really. Everyone got into tournament fishing for catfish since bass fishing went by the wayside on the river. So now the same thing that happened to the bass is happening to the catfish.  I havent even bass fished like i have in the past 5 yrs since covid happened. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

FinsnFur

Where in the hell have you been hiding? How's that new wife doing? How are you guys doing?

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

bigben

I guess no where really.  Wifes good.  I guess since you left facebook i aint seem ya in a while jim.  Brief rundown since i last posted. 

I started turkey hunting the year i got married and that filled in the months i didn't really do much outdoorsy.  May is kinda shady for most things. Trout season wears off so turkey has filled that time.  I got onto traditional archery.  A bow was given to me by my grandmother in law that was her husbands.  After that one i purchased several others and if you asked my wife its borderline obsession now.  I try to shoot a couple times a week.  About a year an half ago i decided i wanted to get better at just being an all around woodsmen.  I owe a lot of things to my dad but honestly i didn't know much for tree and plant identification.   How deer move.  Why they move. Noticing corridors and pinch points.  So since i love to shoot recurves and when i was younger i loved stump shooting i started scouting a lot this past summer getting to learn the local woods while stump shooting. 

This fall i decided that i wanted to make a good effort at archery hunting in northcentral pa for a few reasons. First i love it up there. I grew up hunting up there in archery but it was pretty much just sitting down on a logging rd waiting.  My dad and great uncle always talked about find white oaks and deer will be there.   I noticed this year at the campsite we always stayed at in the woods has an excellent white oak grove and security bedding cover.  We always hunted away from camp because we just did. Idk why and dad doesnt either.   So i questioned how much of my fathers success up there was luck.  Lol.   Anyhow i ended up getting chances at bucks while hunting on the ground with a recurve.   I hit one way low in the rear leg because i took a longish 25 yd shot and he jumped forward when i shot.  Being rut i should have waited for a closer shot but figured 25 was good.  Just doesn't help the bow is only going 165-170fps.   Second i figure i want to start hunting outside of pa as im getting close to three weeks of pto so if i can’t capitalize in unfamiliar ground in pa it isnt worth the time out of state. 

Later on in season i missed a doe at 10 yds.  Shot over her back.    Rifle season i got my largest buck ever.  118” 8pt.  Had a hernia repaired again.  Did some ice fishing.  And now im gearing up for turkey and practicing along with scouting.  I might try maryland this year as they open early

bigben

I cant figure out for the life of me how to post a photo anymore as i refuse to pay for photo hosting. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3c2SFE6Tas8MywLy7

But theres my buck. 

Hawks Feather

That is a nice looking buck and one to be proud of. Thanks for the update on everything else.

Okanagan

Good to see your name and hear your news.  That is a DANDY buck!

I use Imgur to post photos, no cost.

FinsnFur

Been focusing on the archery aspect eh? Good to see you around. Glad the family's doing well. There's a lot of free image hosts and you can still attach an image to a post instead of having hosted it's just smaller.
Facebook? Yeah that whole thing about banning the president of the United States just did not sit well with me. I don't care who you are that's just wrong in every way. I will never get over that. It told me everything I needed to know about Facebook and I won't be back.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

nastygunz

I have a name for Facebook that begins with an F... :innocentwhistle:

nastygunz

I did alot of hunting with a recurve back in the day!

bigben

I tried using imgr and didnt like that I had to sign up for another free service.  I guess I can use google images for the time being.  since I already use gmail and such. 

jim.  Yea it seems like that.  its a somewhat cheap way to enjoy shooting.  Ammo got expensive and I can come home from work and shoot a couple arrows and not have to go anywhere.  Im mainly focusing on becoming a better all around outdoorsmen.  Like I said it kinda set me in my place to not even know my trees like I should.  So I spent a lot of time in the woods the past year.  and not really in hunting season.  I work 4 10hr days so most of my friday mornings last year was spent in the woods close to home.

nastygunz.  my FIL had as well so it kinda set me up for private tutilage to get started.  I grew up watching the wensel brothers and loved all of their videos.  Dad and I always shot together but it was always compounds.  The first compound I hunted with I actually made into a recurve.  shoots pretty good.