• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

I bought a drone.

Started by FinsnFur, May 06, 2022, 10:07:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinsnFur

Don't ask me why because I still don't know why but boy am I having a blast with this thing.
It's absolutely incredible what this thing is capable of doing. I mean literally.
I flew it up over the house tonight and took pictures of the Sun as it went down. My God I'm going to have so much fun with this.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

nastygunz

WOW! how about a picture of the drone and some tech specifications?

slagmaker

Yes!! Wod you drone on about your drone..
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

Hawks Feather

Darn you Jim. I have told my wife for several years that I want a drone and the only question she has is 'Why'. Because I want one doesn't seem to work. We have two drone businesses in the area and I have loved looking at the pictures that they post from around different towns, the rivers, athletic fields, court houses, etc. I think one of the reasons that I won't get one is that I would never compete with the quality of their work. Their 'non drone' images are a different matter.

FinsnFur

Well it's a DJI air2s. Like Jerry I've always felt like I wanted a drone but didn't know why and I didn't want to spend a bunch of money on something and crash it. There's so many want to be manufactured in the US today, I wasn't sure what to buy without getting a piece of junk so I just kept putting it off.
I was talking to Loren Reese on the phone and he said sorry I missed your call I was flying the drone over a bear site I didn't have any reception. I said wait a minute you got a drone? He said yeah I have four of them why? Then I knew instantly any drone questions I had, I just found my man LOL
We talked drones for a long time and I told him my worries blah blah he told me not to buy anything other than a DJI. He said you can buy Mavericks and Autel and all them other ones at Best buy and Walmart and you'll be nothing but disappointed. He said a DJI will cost you big bucks but it will be cream of the crop and you will not be sorry.
Well he wasn't wrong. It cost me $1,200 bucks with an extra battery and so far I'm nothing short of amazed with what it can do. People talk about crashing them if you just let go of the controls it will sit and hover. You can program it to come back to you if it starts to lose radio contact etc. This new model a 1 inch CMOS sensor and six sensors located on the front and bottom to detect obstacles. If you drive it towards a building, a tree, a telephone wire, a person, the sensors pick up on that and it will do what you program it to do in such a situation. Such as negotiate an alternative route, or stop, or just hover.  You can turn the sensors off for certain situations such as if you'd like to catch it in your hand or launch it from your hand. Or manually maneuver it around certain objects. I've fired it up here in the house a couple different times and all the warnings scream the entire time because it's in such close proximity of obstacles. That also happens when you're flying it if you get close to a tree or a vehicle or a person. Notifications come on the screen showing very accurate distances to the obstacle so that you know if it's above you or below you etc.
It has different capturing modes that you've all probably seen on the Discovery channel etc. For example if there is a vehicle on the controller screen, you can draw a box around it and set the Drone to follow it. It will follow the the target at a predetermined distance not letting it out of its site or camera view. Another one is called point of interest where you draw a box around an an object on the screen and it will fly a predetermined pattern emphasizing the object that you drew a box around kind of like an advertisement showing it in different angles etc. Another mold is called Master shots where you draw a box around the object and it will fly in a predetermined pattern and take a series of cinematic pictures from different locations heights and angles automatically.
It has full pro camera mode where you can adjust the ev, shutter speed, exposure, color saturation, all that stuff if you want to.
It has a advertised maximum range of 7 miles. I watched a video on YouTube of a guy in Hawaii that flew his out five miles with no issues.
Like most high-end drones it has the automatic RTH mode. Return to Home. Where anytime during the flight you can tap the return to home button it will automatically come back to the point it launched from without your interaction. You can adjust or move your homepoint during flight anytime also if you would like to.
Today was the first day I actually took it out in the kayak with me. And yes I was nervous as crap lol.

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

nastygunz

WOW!...great footage and you have balls of steel taking it out over the water ha ha!

FinsnFur

No, I don't have balls of steel but I did have the diarrhea, I was so damn nervous. [emoji23] It took me a month of practice to build the courage to get to this point. [emoji23]

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

nastygunz

all's well that ends well :yoyo:

Todd Rahm

Nice Jim!!!! Love how they’ll track you!!  I might have missed but what’s the flight times on the new ones?

Okanagan

Can't wait to see more drone pics!  You are creative with a camera already and you are going to love the new toy.

Hawks Feather

That is the model that the rep at the camera store in Columbus said he uses. He goes all over the U.S. doing drone coverage. He showed me some coverage that he did of wheat harvest in the west. It was for one of the traveling harvest companies and was really impressive.

Next thing we know Jim will be doing video editing.  :innocentwhistle:

FinsnFur

Quote from: Todd Rahm on May 08, 2022, 10:16:09 AM
Nice Jim!!!! Love how they’ll track you!!  I might have missed but what’s the flight times on the new ones?

It's advertised 31 or 34 minutes per battery Todd. But all factors considered. It uses satellites and GPS tracking and has an impeccable ability to compensate for up to 25 mph winds and still keep it's coordinates. So if it's windy the batteries will drain much faster as it throttles up and down to compensate the wind.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

FinsnFur

Quote from: Hawks Feather on May 08, 2022, 10:47:13 AM
That is the model that the rep at the camera store in Columbus said he uses. He goes all over the U.S. doing drone coverage. He showed me some coverage that he did of wheat harvest in the west. It was for one of the traveling harvest companies and was really impressive.

Next thing we know Jim will be doing video editing.  :innocentwhistle:

I think I seen some stuff like that when I was watching the videos on this one too, Jerry. A lot of realtors like this one also for advertising property and homes. Good idea.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

FinsnFur

I had no idea until after I bought this that you have to have a license to fly it, and you have to have it registered with the FAA.
The course and paperwork are all available on line. You also have to file for a permit to fly it within so many miles of an airport...EACH time you do it. The RC controller is linked through whoever, for you to this. You can do it in the back end.
I also didnt know until two or three weeks ago that all drone activity in the US get monitored and tracked , mostly in the cities. I got to see one of the monitors in one of the training videos. It's crazy cool with all the drone paths a different color as it logs them.
The DJI drones legally emit your registration and license number during flight to anyone with the authority to retrieve it.
And even though this one is capable of, I think 20,000 feet altitude, the US has a nation wide law the prohibits any civilian drone or unmanned aircraft from flying higher then 400 ft. In the course they said "..manned aircraft is required to remain above 500 ft. So the newly acquired drone laws present a 100 ft buffer and avoids interference with commercial craft etc.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Todd Rahm

I believe the license is only in certain areas, and business reasons. If your not in one of those areas, I think it just needs registered.

I got a license a few years back, but it’s probably close to expiring. I’ll have to check.

FinsnFur

I think they may have changed the license deal to everybody needs one. Maybe not....I live in a pretty rural area but I still had to get it to be legal. And you have to print it and carry it with you when flying.
If you plan to make money by doing work for other people or selling pictures etc then you need another license called the part 107

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

FinsnFur

Nope you're right Todd.
I have the small uas certificate of registration through the FAA and then I had to have another one which shows I took the course. It's the recreational us safety test completion certificate.

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

nastygunz

next thing you know you'll have to have register your fishing pole.

FinsnFur

Or your nastygunz [emoji23]

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers