• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Ohio’s Governor Expected To Sign Bill To Arm Teachers In Schools.

Started by JohnP, June 03, 2022, 01:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

Ohio's Governor, Mike DeWine, is expected to sign a bill approved by the state's lawmakers that would permit school teachers and other public school employees to carry a firearm as quickly as the Fall semester.

The Armed School Security Staff bill, HB 99, would offer schools an additional option to provide more robust security for school children following a recent uptick in school shootings.

"Last week, I called on the General Assembly to pass a bill that would allow local school districts, if they so choose, to designate armed staff for school security and safety," DeWine said in a statement on Thursday.

"My office worked with the General Assembly to remove hundreds of hours of curriculum irrelevant to school safety and to ensure training requirements were specific to a school environment and contained significant scenario-based training. House Bill 99 accomplishes these goals, and I thank the General Assembly for passing this bill to protect Ohio children and teachers. I look forward to signing this important legislation," he added.

HB 99 would require school employees who carry a firearm to obtain a certain number of hours of training and pass mandatory examinations to carry the firearms into the school. School employees would also be required to receive eight hours of recertification training each year to maintain that right.

"The bill is meant to override a state Supreme Court ruling earlier this year, which interpreted current Ohio law to require that armed teachers would need the same training as police, amounting to hundreds of hours," the Associated Press reported. "That would put the practice out of reach of almost all districts because of the time and expense."

When they come for mine they better bring theirs

Hawks Feather

Our left-leaning teacher's association is opposed to it. Just like when Ohio passed concealed carry years ago that they opposed. There will be bodies everywhere. 🙄 Also it is not mandatory for any sheep, I mean teachers who would rather not.

Then there are many of us who think if only one student is saved it will be worth it.

nastygunz

As far as guns in the workplace, my company says no guns at work none in the parking lot and none in your vehicles. Needless to say I have worked there 17 years and carried a gun every single day😉🇺🇸👍🤛. So up yours anti-gun liberal America! I also plan on retiring at some point and when I do I'm going to make a point of telling them that I have carried a gun every day my entire career there ha ha.

nastygunz

All the anti-gunners cry wolf constantly. Theres A battle brewing in Florida about open carry or constitutional carry as they call it. The liberals say they will be gun fights out on the street if the governor allows that. Vermont doesn't even have a permit system and never has had one anybody that can legally own a firearm can legally carry a gun concealed or open and the same thing with New Hampshire and there's no giant bloody battles out on the streets. More uneducated liberal scare tactics.