• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Went back out this afternoon....

Started by Arkyyoter, October 10, 2006, 08:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkyyoter

Like I told ya'll in the other post....I was able to go to another spot this afternoon....Dustin and Jim went with me.  I got some new camo vet wrap in the mail, and put it on our guns....I think I will like it.....UH OH....rambling again :) Back to the story...Our first stand was dry...the east wind just would not cooperate....so, off we go to a new place we have never called.....We set up at the bottom of a big dozer pile. We set the JIB up and I started in with the Demon....I gave it about 5 minutes off and on....nothing......switched on the FoxPro, pup distress #2.....in about 20 seconds here comes a big blondish male about mach 2....he checked up at about 100 yards, saw something he didn't like. He was only still a second, and he took off at about 45 degrees the way he came from....I barked at him at about 140 yards.....he did 2 or 3 stutter steps before he stopped and looked back over his shoulder at about 145 yards......the 75 Vmax did it's thing and he really hit the ground hard.....DRT. We had no further takers.....

This is looking west from where I was sitting....

This is looking where he came from.....

Here he is...

And the boys :)

Thanks for reading our story....We only got two out of about 4 stands....but with the bad start we've had this season, it felt really good to get back in the groove.... :thumb:

Joe

keekee

nailbender

What are you talkin' about ,bad start??  :confused: As long as you load the chamber, you seem to be doing pretty well!!   :biggrin:   Thanks for the pics!

Bob D

Arky,
Congrats again. It looks like you are calling them in on alot of open land with little cover for the coyotes to sneak in? Are they coming to the decoy or just staying away and watching it as they make their pass thru?
Bob

Arkyyoter

We try to pull them out of the woods/thickets....they usually come on inside of 100 yards to the sound/decoy....we don't hunt like most people...I like to call with the wind at my back.....I set up so I can see 200 yards minumum, preferably much more....400 + is optimum.....90% of our dogs come in with the wind in their face....the trick is to kill them before they wind you. We seldom intentionally let them much inside 100 yards.....we get caught with our britches down from time to time and they get in close.....but not usually. I know most of the experts don't agree with my style of setting up with the wind, but it has worked for me so far .......

Joe

slagmaker

Well done!! My hats off to ya. WIsh I could have a start to teh season like you have had
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

FinsnFur

Very nice Joe  :wink:
Now get that camera out a lil earlier and bring us some pics of em comin in.

I know I know......easier said then done  :sneer:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

horndog

Joe,Nice looking dogs.Congrats.  :yoyo:
      Steve
LIVE TO HUNT YHE YELLOW DOG

fuzz624

Nice going Joe.It looks like a pretty good start to me.Good luck and happy hunting.

bigben

Is that JIB decoy taller.  Is that the yoters den extension.  do ya like it and have you had any problems with the decoy?
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

Arkyyoter

It is the Yoter's Den wire Ben.....I like it fine....it doesn't sway back and forth like the FP wire. I think it will last a little better though......I have replaced my wire other 2 or 3 times......the action is a little better with the FP wire, but I can easily change heighth with this one and the coyotes don't seem to know the difference.....

Joe

CCP

Good job Arkyyoter, Keep them pics comin
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

desert dog

www.reeselanyards.com

"what you pay for your calls is your business, protecting them is ours"

Todd Rahm

Good  read and pics Joe.  :congrats:  Why does it not surpirse me, a feller from you local uses a coon skin hat for a decoy?  :biggrin:

slagmaker

Good job. Glad to see someone actually getting some filed time in! I wont have time off to go hunting for another three weeks.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

Dogwood Creek

Super job there buddy. Looks like you are off to a great start this season. Pile em high!

Frogman

Arkyoter, it's interesting the way you set to see into the fields.  Both of the ones I have killed were similar setups.  I was watching the field, but I tried to have the wind in my face or quartering toward me.  I will have to try your method.  Thanks for the nice detailed write ups.  They really help us new guys learn some of your methods.
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!