• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Been doing volunteer work.

Started by Hawks Feather, July 07, 2008, 10:37:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawks Feather

I have not been hanging around the site much lately and thought I would let you know where I have been.  I have been helping out several days a week at Camp Lakota – a Boy Scout camp located at the south end of town.  They needed an adult (many of the scouts working there are not 21) to help on the rifle range and/or the shotgun range.  For a scout to earn their shotgun merit badge, they need two sets of 12 hits out of 25 birds.  Now that doesn't sound all that hard to people that have been shooting for years, but many of these kids had never held a shotgun before they came to the range.  Over half the kids that shot this afternoon made their first 12 out of 25 and should be able to qualify for their badge later this week.  They are shooting old Remington Express 20 gauges and either the "real" instructor or I insert one shell at a time (as required for safety).  We had one kid that started his first string of 10 shots tonight (having never fired a shotgun or a rifle before) that missed the first 4 and then dusted the next 6 – no chips or chunks, just dust.  We were running out of daylight or I am sure he would have had his first 12 out of 25 finished.  I just wish that these kids had the opportunity to keep shooting because they would be unbelievable.  It sure is fun.

Jerry

Nelson

Time well spent Jerry.  You are a good man.   :yoyo:
Those kids will never forget that experience.

nelson

Bills Custom Calls

What a way to spend your time  :yoyo:
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

THO Game Calls

Jerry,

My son is working on his shotgun merit badge too - along with a dozen others it seems.   Looks like we are going camping the weekend after next   -  Oh such fun.

I don't know how you guys are set for a boy scout store, but we have Camp Carpenter here in town, and it has a huge store so let us know if the kids need anything.  We are heading up this week again for more merit badge books for Jeremy.

Al
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

DirtyDog

Good deal Jerry. I wish I would have had someone to show me the ropes when I was younger, instead of "on the job training". I think i turned out ok anyways.  :sneer:

Hawks Feather

Al,

Thanks for the offer.  Camp Lakota has what I would consider a medium sized camp store, but the district headquarters is not too far away and if the camp needs anything they usually just call and can have it there the next day.

Tell your son good shooting and keep working on those merit badges.  Have him tell his dad to have fun camping.   :wink:

Jerry

MDM

Bopeye

That's good stuff Jerry. We can buy all the things in the world, but time invested on someone else always brings about bigger dividends.
Have fun my friend.  :wink:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free