• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Georgia Buck

Started by Carolina Coyote, December 15, 2008, 01:14:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carolina Coyote

This Buck was killed in Georgia on 12/11/08 by my Nephew in Law from Maryland who comes down just about every year to Hunt with me for a few days in Georgia, When he arrived on Saturday the 6th we hunted that evening but neither of us saw anything, next morning he killed a doe and that evening he killed another doe and I killed 3 does, The rest of the week he pretty much Buck hunted, he informed me he had left his Grunt call at home and being the nice guy that I am and since I had already killed two Bucks this year, I loaned him one of Buck Grunt calls made by Bill's Custom Calls and planned to put him on a stand that I had seen a really nice buck earlier in year, it was suppose to rain that evening and we went by the stand and shook some persimmon trees that are about 200 yards from the stand, the trees were loaded and when I shook them they covered the ground, it rained that evening and we were not able to hunt, but the next morning the rain had slowed down to were we could Hunt, and as we figured with the rain that night the deer would know that it would knock Persimmons off of the tree and at early light a does  and a small Buck showed up and around 10:00 o'clock a large Buck showed up but did not present a shot but my NIL got out the Grunt Call made by Bill and another smaller Buck showed up, he made some more grunts and this buck showed up looking for the grunter and he was able to make a fine shot and killed him. He wanted me to thank Bill for making a call that had such a realistic sound.

Frogman

Nice deer.  Bill makes some fine calls!!   :yoyo:

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

FinsnFur

Nice write up Carl. Thanks for sharing that with us :wink:

Bills going to have to start paying rent here :sneer:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

alscalls

:yoyo: :yoyo: :yoyo:
You should see the Doe bleat at work..... :eyebrow:
Nice buck Congrats to all :congrats:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Hawks Feather

Tell him he got a nice looking buck.

Jerry

cathryn

whats the avreage weight on a buck in Georgia? im just curios because its got a better rack than most of the buckss in our area cause thyye get hunted to death,literally and figuratively speaking, but it kinda looks like the body of our deer are bigger, alscalls you know anything about body comparison of our deer to their southern counterparts?

most guys round here, if theyre honest when asked, want that big rack over meat.

excellent job to your nephew -in-law.

alscalls

I used to keep track when I was cutting deer meat for other people and we were skinnin 2-300 a night but things are changing now and the average weight seems to be all over the map as the coyotes are increasing in numbers the deer seem to be adapting and having their young at different times I have seen fawns killed this year in Nov. that were just a few months old when they used to be 6 months old..... Also our mature deer body weights are bigger now due to lower numbers of deer through liberal gun seasons and coyote damage. Some areas, Like my farm the deer are loosing their acorn resource and are in the middle of adapting to eating more grass which has a lower protein percentage. This again will affect the weight and may cause some deer to die this winter cause of a lower body fat.
Our average here used to be around 90 lbs field dressed ........I know some will think that is nuts but it is true. I called a friend of mine on this and asked him about what it is now and he said.........closer to 100lbs however we are seeing a lot more big bucks being taken in the last two years cause less deer = more food to go around.
Down south I have no Idea........Here, not as good as it could be but we are getting better numbers than in the past. :wink:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Carolina Coyote

That's a good question Cathryn, Of the 30 some years that I have hunted in Georgia has always been on private land and normally we see bigger Deer than average I think, I'm thinking were I have hunted that the average size live weight is 175 to 200 lbs and not uncommon to go over 200 lbs, The Deer in the picture was small at 150 lbs and one was killed the day after that weighted 138 lbs but I had killed 2 earlier in the season one 200 lbs and the other 190 lbs. We trophy manage our property don't shoot Bucks unless they have at least 15 inch inside spread. This is the 8th year that we have had the property and it is very apparent that the management is paying off as more real nice Bucks were spotted this year than ever, some with spreads of excess of 20 inches, but we have over 3500 ac and lots of cultivation, peanuts, soybeans, corn, wheat, cotton, plus we plant food plots with clover,sorghum, put out salt licks etc. we also work hard at predator control. Georgia in the 50's or 60's brought in Deer from other states including some from the Midwest so they have Deer with genes that can produce Trophy size Deer. We hunt the Big Horn Buck for Trophy but we get our table fare from the Does, usually take 40 plus does a year, don't know if that answers your question or not but pretty much depends on were you hunt in Georgia. To get more info go to www.gon.com this is a Georgia Wildlife magazine that provides lots of info. cc