• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Before the season ends...

Started by Coulter, March 14, 2010, 09:30:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coulter

I figured I better get out and make a few beaver sets with my trapping partner yesterday. He has been having all of the fun and had already taken 8 beaver from different areas of our trapline in the last week. But the lodges I normally hit haven't been touched yet so we went out yesterday and he put in a couple more sets while I put in two channel sets with bodygrippers and 2 snares.

We checked his sets first since they are on the way. He managed one more 45 pounder out of the lodge he was trapping. He also had a miss on a set and two other sets went untouched. I was at this lodge last night watching at dusk and I know for a fact that there are at least two more beaver in this lodge, they will be left for seed.

From there we drove over to the next lodge and I could see a nice blanket beaver sitting where my snares were set. :biggrin: My partner couldn't believe I caught one, especially one that weighed 52 pounds, in a snare. I dispatched him and we checked the other snare, which was untouched. My partners set was also untouched.

Two sets left to go and I had high hopes for these two. We pulled into the next and walked up to the lodge. I checked the first set in the channel and found another nice 53 pounder waiting for me.

By this time reality was starting to set in of all the work I still had ahead of me with putting these beasts up. My partner followed me over to the last set of the day and I didn't see my stabilizer sticking up where it should be. I walked into the channel and pulled up yet another...this one tipping the scales at 56 pounds. :whew:

Now don't get me wrong here, I do enjoy getting beaver that are sizeable, but I would much rather catch them in the 35-45 pound range. These 50 + pounders are not only heavy, they are some work to put up.

And the "hero shot"

Just a note...we have been trapping this piece of property for over ten years. We have never taken, nor will we ever be able to take, all of the beaver out of here. That isn't the goal for us or the property owners. We help to manage the resource and keep the population of beaver under control. There are numerous lodges we didn't even hit this year that are very active. I have some work to do now...hey 3 out of 4 sets isn't too shabby. :wink:

Steve

Todd Rahm

Thats a whole lot of flat tail ya have to tote around and skin there.  :biggrin: But none the less outstanding job.  :congrats:

Tikaani

Nice write up and pictures Steve.  What are you getting for beaver now.

John
Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

pitw

Good looking Beaver Steve :yoyo:.  A lot of work is right and I just checked nafa where they are selling this week.  $33 -$16 for Eastern Large.
I say what I think not think what I say.

Coulter

Man, I forgot how much work these things really are. I finished two yesterday and had to place the the last skinned pelt in the freezer until today.

John, I ship all my furs to Fur Harvesters Auctions. They just recently held a sale and the average on Eastern beaver was $21.33. If anybody does this for the money they are a fool. My buddy did send in one beaver for that sale and got $27 for it.

Now muskrats...thats another story, they averaged $8.50. He also had muskrats in that sale and his average for 50 was just over $9. I hope those prices don't bring out all the riff-raff again next year.

Steve

FinsnFur

You need some snow so you can drag a sled along with ya.
Great pics though :yoyo: Thanks for sharing em.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

Neat pictures.  We have recently started having some beaver in the rivers around here.  I sure was surprised when I saw the first two a couple of years ago.  DNR said that it will just be a matter of time till they are everywhere.

Jerry

bambam

Coulter

Yeah some snow would have been nice for a sled..we have done that and drug chainsaws in when times are tough. Its hard work, but man is it fun.

Just caught two more today. I had to pull all of my sets though, I have too many things that need to get done before the weekend. And I don't think my wife is to keen on the idea of a freezer full of beaver pelts. I have two tacked down, the rest of the pelts are in the freezer until I get more time to finish them.

Steve