• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

My Lily a pound pup.

Started by trailtwister, July 14, 2015, 08:53:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailtwister

I retired April 1st 2001, Had one dog then a Chocolate lab the boy talked the wife into buying for him despite my protest. As expected the son soon tired of walking her feeding her and just doing what you do with a pet. I was still working then all night shift from 5PM til 7 Am so I spent a lot of day time with her my self, she at times was a pest wanting me to toss the kong for her while I was trying to work on a tractor. She really became my dog so the wife was wanting one of her own. I drove all the way to Ohio to get her one a week before I retired. I could tell you that pound pup we called daisy was a HUNTING dog cause she was. She was a Visula and hunted any thing rabbits tree squirrels point pheasant's and the whole nine yards.  I also picked up a shir pei and a springer spaniel along the way.
2010 the labby had a stroke and could not stand any longer, I buried her down by the creek where she so loved to swim every chance she got. Then the Shir pei also had a stroke at age 11 so she joined the labby by the creek where she loved to sit and watch the birds and stuff.
At age 12 the springer got cancer and joined the others by the creek.
Then the last one the Visula passed away during the night just after her 13th birthday.

I decided it was to painful to deal with any more of my best friends passing so no more. Well that lasted about a month and I really missed not having a friend to walk in the woods and field with.
I wanted a grown dog not having to deal with needle teeth would be great, and a pound pup.
After looking at so many all over the state and Pet finder on the internet I knew the wife was not going to allow that to happen. It was going to be a puppy or nothing.

So I drove a hour to look at a what was supposed to be a brown Shir Pei pup only to find out when I got there she was black.
Still I decided I wanted a buddy so I took her, named her Lily on the way home.

My vet had a fit because she had been fixed so young and told me to watch her close for problems. With in a week she got puppy strangles. Really what I had in this pup in the first month I could have bought a fully trained Visula and maybe even a pointing lab.

I have had her for almost two years not and would not trade her for a new one now with papers a yard thick. she would sleep a lot wrapped in a beach towel on my lap.

She had real bad dew claws that needed removing too. she took it all in stride.

Yes she found a mouse in the snow drift.

:eyebrownod:  Al

Your not fully dressed with out a smile.

slagmaker

Growing up in Oakland city I had several pets.
Over my young life there I lost most of them. Had a little pet cemetery going on when we moved away from the home stead. I went for years without a pet cause I was over the heartache of loosing my pet friends.

I have given thought of getting another beagle mix pup to walk the woods and fields with. Shoot even now after all these years, just thinking about a new pup has me remembering those times as a youth hunting rabbits along the railroad tracks with Sally. Best rabbit dog a boy could ever have.

I think I may look into a pup.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

riverboss

I couldn't imagine life without a dog. I grew up raising and breeding fox hounds to sell and show! Sometimes we had 50+ dogs' it has made me a sucker for dogs and I always have a few around.
My dog spot spends 24 hrs a day with me everyday. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 C HD using Tapatalk

nastygunz

We had a Redbone named Sally who we used to hunt rabbits with in  the daytime and coon at night :yoyo:
Growing up we had a huge pack of beagles to hunt the elusive snowshoe hare. And coon hunting we had at various times treeing walkers, plott hounds, black and tans, Catahoula mountain leopard curs, and redbones but we were mostly a walker family and raised show dogs also. We had a male and female pair of walkers who were bench champions, and hunting machines at night for coon, Mountain Echo and Mountain Belle!

Quote from: slagmaker on July 14, 2015, 10:04:45 AM
Growing up in Oakland city I had several pets.
Over my young life there I lost most of them. Had a little pet cemetery going on when we moved away from the home stead. I went for years without a pet cause I was over the heartache of loosing my pet friends.

I have given thought of getting another beagle mix pup to walk the woods and fields with. Shoot even now after all these years, just thinking about a new pup has me remembering those times as a youth hunting rabbits along the railroad tracks with Sally. Best rabbit dog a boy could ever have.

I think I may look into a pup.

trailtwister

Lily has been a good pup mostly. She now doesn't most time pay attention to the deer even though they may be just 2 feet away.
On last evenings walk we came across two hen turkeys and about a dozen feather ball chicks and she was fine till the chicks flew then she got geeked up and was a hand full till I got her well out of that area.
Yes I still keep her on the check cord for just this popping up.
Last week she came across two skunk kittens in the high weeds along the trail. She didn't care for the face full of skunk and thankfully they were just kittens.

:eyebrownod:  Al
Your not fully dressed with out a smile.

Okanagan

My Dad bought me a hound when I was two years old.  The pup and I grew up together.  He was half blue tick, a quarter redbone and a quarter black and tan.  We hunted coons in Eastern WA State.  He was the smartest hound I've ever seen, in a class of dog not usually noted for intelligence.  :biggrin:  He would go get a coon out in the water in real swift current field conditions, not show conditions, a situation that will get most dogs killed.  He fought smarter than other hounds, feinting awhile and then going for a kill rather than boring straight in like most hounds I saw fight.  He had enough sense to take it easy on a bear or cougar and not get himself killed, unlike many.  When he was 9 months old he killed a big bobcat solo, again a recipe for a vet bill or a dead dog with many hounds.

His nose was incredible in his ability to work out old tracks other dogs couldn't seem to smell or figure out.  The trouble with that is that he would cold trail something out of hearing and sometimes clear out of the area and tree it where we had no idea where he'd gone.  He was stubborn and would stick with the tree till his voice got hoarse and he couldn't bark anymore.   He apparently kept a cougar on a ledge in a river gorge for three days, based on reports of those who heard the dog barking down there in the canyon while we searched for him.   He came home voiceless, happy and with two deep scratches on his ear and shoulder. 

He was stolen three times, came home on his own twice and an honest hound man read the tattoo in his ear and wrote to tell Dad where his dog was the other time.  We never met the man who took him but picked him up from his acquaintance who wrote us.  By then the man who wrote us had been on one hunt with our dog.  When we arrived to pick him up he offered Dad $500 for him, in 1953.  I was afraid Dad would take it but he declined. 

My dog died in his sleep when I was 20.  My lifestyle has not fit with having a dog most of the years since, and none can ever replace him. 

'Twister, hope you enjoy Lily as much!

nastygunz

This thread has brought back a lot of good memories for a lot of people here I can see. One that I am thinking is how we used to road hunt in the back roads up in Vermont and sometimes we just have the dogs run in front of the international harvester scouts, and we had some that we would set right up on the hood with them and they would hit going down the road on a fresh scent pretty fun time I'll say that. We used to get pretty good money for hides back then and coon is pretty good eating on top of it.
* The old man with some rabbit hunting machines.

riverboss

I agree nasty it has brought back lots of memory's! I even looked at old pics and placed some flowers on some mounds of dirt outback' while remembering found times.
Each had there own special place  and there own special little click that made them different!
I can't see me with out a dog in my life.

JohnP

Quote from: riverboss on July 15, 2015, 07:43:03 PM

I can't see me with out a dog in my life.

Same here.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs