• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

A failed turkey hunt

Started by KySongDog, April 25, 2018, 09:07:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KySongDog

The turkey hunting hasn't been too good in my neck of the woods this year.  The birds are few and far between it seems.   Anyways, on with the story.  I was sitting beside a large creek having a conversation with three gobblers on the other side.  The creek is normally about 20 yards wide and 7 to 8 feet deep. But with all the rain we've had the entire creek bottom was flooded and now the creek was a hundred yards wide at least.  The turkeys were, of course, on the opposite side and no matter what I did I couldn't get them to cross over to me.  This went on for at least 2 hours. I would call and they would gobble and some times double gobble but wouldn't budge.

I heard a splash in the water and thought a large fish had jumped.  But instead what looked like a 20 pound half-drowned rat emerged from the muddy water. Apparently he liked the hen calls well enough to cross the flooded creek and try to slip up on a meal.  I lip squeaked him and he stopped about 25 yards out. That's when the Hand of God sent him to coyote heaven.   A mangy male. I may have done him a favor.

FinsnFur

Now that wasnt a failure...that woulda been fun :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

coyote101

Any hunt ending with a dead coyote is a good one.  :biggrin:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

pitw

A washed hide is always welcome.  I bet that was more fun than most anything else you could have been doing.  Good job.
I say what I think not think what I say.

riverboss

Dang Johnny don't you just hate when that happens?
Congrats on the wet dog!
I know your pain on the turkeys, they are few and far between this yr around here to.

Sent from my Tank Xtreme 5.0 using Tapatalk

JohnP

Sounds like a good day out in the woods.  I think you did that coyote  favor.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs