• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

LBL camping trip

Started by coyote101, February 10, 2014, 07:54:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote101

I had planned on taking my wall tent to Wrangler's campground for the LBL hunt this year. My plan got messed up a bit when they shut down Wrangler's on Wednesday because of the ice storm and power outage. Since the campground was closed, I decide to go on Friday and camp in the backcountry. I drove around for a while trying to find a spot that I liked that wasn't under or too close to a big ice covered tree that might send branches crashing down on me. I finally found a good place near the lake and went to work putting up my temporary home.     

Scraped the crusty ice and snow off the ground to make room for the tent

Laid out the tent

Set up the side walls

Put up the center pole and covered it with tarps

My bedroom

and kitchen

Got the stove set up and cut and split some wood

Fired up the stove and got it toasty warm inside

The view from my front porch down to the lake

And from the lake back up to my home

Fried up some Spam for dinner

Semp stopped by for a while on Saturday

I kept myself busy tending to the wood stove and only hunted for about an hour on Saturday afternoon. This was the first time I have stayed in my tent and I only stayed for a couple of nights and then packed it all up and headed home on Sunday.

All in all, a good couple of days.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

slagmaker

OH MAN!! that looks like good camping right there.

Glad you were able to spend a couple nights in your home away from home. Wish I could of come down and visited with all the folks that did make it to the LBL but oh well there is always next year
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

FinsnFur

Semp, quit lookin so grumpy :laf:

That looked like plain ole fun Pat. How long did it take to set up? You hauled a LOT of stuff up there.
This was your first over overnight away from home with the new tent wasnt it?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

WldWldWest

Pat I'm pretty sure those are the coolest pics to ever come outta LBL!
All but the one with Semp in it! :-)
Sweet set up and you got a great deal on that rig, let me know if you want your money back!

"Choot...Choot em Jacob!"

!

coyote101

Quote from: FinsnFur on February 10, 2014, 08:18:09 PM
That looked like plain ole fun Pat. How long did it take to set up? You hauled a LOT of stuff up there.
This was your first over overnight away from home with the new tent wasnt it?

It was great fun Jim, but a lot of work for one guy. It took me about three hours to set it all up, and about the same to tear it down and pack up. And yes, it is a LOT of stuff, but that made it very comfortable. It pretty much filled the back of my old full size dodge. I had set the tent up in my back yard twice, but never stayed in it before. It went pretty much as planned, but I may modify the tarp set up a little.

Quote from: WldWldWest on February 10, 2014, 08:21:05 PM
Pat I'm pretty sure those are the coolest pics to ever come outta LBL!
All but the one with Semp in it! :-)
Sweet set up and you got a great deal on that rig, let me know if you want your money back!

Thanks Doug, I appreciate the compliment and the kind and generous offer. Believe it or not, you're not the first to offer me my money back, so if I decide to get rid of it I'll have to put you in the queue.

Oh, by the way guys, that's Semp's happy face; it doesn't get any better than that.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Frogman

From the looks of things there, I'd say you were warmer in you tent than we were in the cabin on Tuesday night after the power went out??

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

JohnP

Great photo's Pat.  I don't know if I could take the cold like you guys do.  But that stove and stack of wood looks like it was pretty comfy in there.    I'm going to have to dig out an old photo of me roughing it by myself in the dead of winter. 
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

kyfuzzyface

Thanks for sharing Pat, Looks like fun but a loot of work !!
Fuzzy

possumal

Good looking setup, Pat.  Semp kinda fits in there, or so it seems.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

KySongDog

Quote from: FinsnFur on February 10, 2014, 08:18:09 PM
Semp, quit lookin so grumpy :laf:

People keep sneaking up on me with cameras.  Pat took that pic just before I gave him a big 'ol grin.   :laf:

Pat's tent was big enough to roller skate in.  I was quite impressed with his layout.

Okanagan

Great photo story!  The most comfortable outdoor/tent camping in my life has been in a wall tent with wood stove.  They are astoundingly warm and comfortable, way better than I would ever have expected.  Bravo!

gravesco hunter

Looks like you could set up homesteading with that setup.

Carolina Coyote

Pat, good story thanks for sharing, I used to do a lot of camping but have not done that in many years, I always enjoyed it. cc

Hawks Feather

Nice view looking toward the water.  It does look like you had a good time.  Glad to see you got to use the tent.

Jerry

HaMeR

That's the look you get from Semp if he has to wait too long for lunch to be served!!  :nono: :nono:

That is a very nice setup you got there Pat. I'm glad you took it out & set it up. Very cool.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Coulter

Doesn't get much better than that Pat...aren't they fun to put up and take down by yourself :doh2:

HaMeR

How heavy is the wood stove? Do you back up on the tarp & unload it? Looks like that part would be as hard as getting the whole tent out of the truck & onto the ground.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

coyote101

Quote from: HaMeR on February 11, 2014, 04:25:04 PM
How heavy is the wood stove? Do you back up on the tarp & unload it? Looks like that part would be as hard as getting the whole tent out of the truck & onto the ground.

The pipe, legs and other accessories are stored inside the stove body and it all weighs a bit over 60 pounds. I carry it into the tent once I have the tent up. The tent is wrapped in that blue tarp. I don't know what it weighs, but is less than the stove. I lay it on the ground, unwrap the tarp and unfold the tent on top it. That way the tent doesn't have to lay on the bare ground. Once I've got the tent up, I fold up the blue tarp and put down a plastic ground cloth and then indoor outdoor carpet. The stove sits in a corner on uncovered bare ground.

Pat
NRA Life Member

HaMeR

Thanks Pat. That's not too bad then. It looks heavier in the picture. I figured everything was designed as a one man operation. Just thought the stove was over 100lbs.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

riverboss

Great looking setup pat . I missed getting to talk with you this year  at lbl.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk