• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Hunting turkeys in the snow

Started by gravesco hunter, December 07, 2013, 05:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gravesco hunter

question,has anyone ever hunted turkeys with a snow on using snow camo,i have only been able to do it twice here in ky,but i have been amazed at how close i can get to turkeys using the snow camo.

bambam

I've predator hunted with snow camo, but never for turkeys. I have actually had turkeys walk up to me during deer season when I was wearing blaze orange and they didn't seem to notice me. I think with turkeys, movement is much more important than camo.

KySongDog

I've hunted turkeys in the snow but not with snow camo.  It certainly wouldn't hurt to use it

As for blaze orange, I've had turkeys run the other way when they see it.  Turkeys (like most birds) can see colors.  Blaze orange sticks way out there and, since they are always looking for something to be afraid of, they tend to spook easily at the sight of it.  At least that has been my experience. 

However, I do agree that movement is far more important than camo color.  Turkeys see anything that moves! 

bambam

Can't argue with you about birds seeing colors. Maybe they do, maybe they don't.  I've read deer can see blue but I've killed a truck load of them while wearing blue jeans.  :shrug: :shrug:

KySongDog

One doesn't see many duck or goose hunters wearing blaze orange.   There is probably a reason for that.   :wink:

gravesco hunter

Think about this why would the tom turkey have so many colors if the hen could not see them ?