Started by REALDONNYFENDER, December 08, 2018, 08:56:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

REALDONNYFENDER

What is a good light for coyote hunting? Brand gun mount or hand held

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pitw

Welcome to the forum and be ready for some good info and mine. :biggrin:
Sun makes a good light and the moon on good snow works well too. :wink:
If you are looking for info on electric type lights you are gonna have to wait for these other fella's to chime in.
I say what I think not think what I say.

JohnP

Welcome aboard RDF.  I agree with pitw, can't beat the sun.  I don't hunt at night, all of God's creatures, good or bad need a break, none should be hunted 24/7 except the two legged ones.  But if you must hunt at night can't beat a full moon on a good snow. 
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

slagmaker

Welcome to the site, get ready for some good people.

I use a lightforce brand light. Both scope mounted a small a hand held. I know there are other brands out there but this is just what I use.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

FinsnFur

Welcome to the site Donny.
I used Lightforce on a TX night hunting trip once and loved them so well I bought one when I got home. Dont use it a whole up here a lot but I sure do like it.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

REALDONNYFENDER

Are the lights clear or do they come in a color or does it matter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slagmaker

The light is white but you can get colored filters. I use a red filter but several people swear by amber and green.

Light force has two sizes of predator light a 140mm and a 170mm reflector. I use the larger and one of my cousins uses the smaller. In truth the only difference I can tell is the price,
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

Okanagan

As a slight tangent but in the ballpark of your query, I have used a white hand-held spot light successfully on deer and coyotes.  Successful defined as calling coyotes inside of 15 feet while using the light and approaching a large blacktail buck (during heavy rain) to within 6 feet.  Night callers in California years ago told me to use the light sparingly and never shine it directly on the animal till ready to shoot.  Shine the light above the animal and pick up the animal's eye reflection with the merest edge of the light beam.  FWIW I'd use a red or green light the same way.

Another recollection:  a cougar I called one night would approach me as long as I used no light or a red light, a very puny small headlamp beam, but would retreat the instant I switched to a stronger white light.

No shooting involved in any of my night calling, just curiosity. Others here have far more experience with lights for night calling. 

Hawks Feather

It has been several years since I went out with lights but do have a ‘decent’ collection of them.  Light Force is probably the best quality light that I have, but it only made it to the field a couple of times. Then there are several like you can find Cabela’s, Wal-Mart, etc. They work, but don’t have the quality build that the Light Force does.  Then there are several that will clip on a scope, others with headbands, etc.

As has been mentioned, at least with my experience with racoons, they don’t like white light shining on them.  With white light you would see their eyes and then they went shut.  Turning the light off for a few minutes and then shining ‘around’ them would get their eyes back open.  All of that changed when I switched to amber or red lens.  {O.K. so I am old} when I and others first heard about this, they weren’t making colored lens for lights, so we used some type of yellow marking dye and would cover the lens.  It would be all streaked, but who cared what it looked like as long as the coon would keep their eyes open.

Jerry

P.S. Welcome to FnF