• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

G'hoggen report

Started by vvarmitr, July 25, 2010, 09:56:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vvarmitr

July 24th & I'm finally getting out after g'hogs. :loco:
Made up another batch of loads for my version of Ole Reliable in 222.
Had some stout wind w/ a storm front coming in when I spotted this 'en.
He was 150yrs down in the gully. First shot was a miss. Didn't even scare 'em bad.  :doh2:
So I leaned the next shot into the wind & it still hit on the down wind side.  :whew:

Got out tonight too.
Spotted this 'en in the field behind the old schoolmarm's  house. I stopped to let her know I was in the area & that there was a big ol' juicy g'hog back in the field a ways. Lucky for me she was on the phone & I didn't have to talk for long.  :innocentwhistle:
This was a pretty long poke for the 222. Over 250yds I figured.
Again the first shot is a miss - high.  Didn't figure in mirage.
Second shot I see the red mist fly.  :biggrin:
The pix didn't turn out to good as I wanted to get  the g'hog & where I shot from in the same pix.
Back by the group of trees beside the telephone pole is where I shot from.

Nothing else happening there I head off to another farm. A grin over takes my face as I see he has planted beans.  :dance:
As I pull onto the lane betwix two builds I see two grizzled blobs beating feet to the safety of the one building to my right. Then to my left I see another doing the woodchuck shuffle to the other building. I need to be back there tomorrow morning w/ the 17HaMeR.  :eyebrow:
I soon stop & get out & use the open door as a support for glassing the distant greenery for fur balls. I decide to gather my stuff & do a stroll when be danged if there ain't a g'hog 20yds feeding out into the field in front of the Blazer.  :shock2:
In my favor I still have the door open between us. I reach through the open window, grab the rifle, sandbag from the backseat, & load a shell.  I set the bag on the still open door & the rifle on top of it, flip off the safety & as if on cue the g'hog stands up facing me.
The red spot tells the rest of the story ....

It sure has been great getting out there again!  :yahoo:

FinsnFur

Boy I wish we had some of those I could go plink at once in a while.
Nice shootin :highclap:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

pitw

What a great story :bowingsmilie:.  It has all the essentials, truth, fun and best of all fur :confused:.  What's the green tank :shrug:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

HuntnCarve

Way to go James!  Glad to see you're finally getting out and getting those chucks back in check. :congrats:

Carolina Coyote

Way to James, good shooting.  :yoyo:  :yoyo:  :highclap:  :congrats: cc

vvarmitr

Quote from: pitw on July 26, 2010, 07:50:05 AM
What's the green tank :shrug:.
That's were the farmer stores all the money he saves by not having his fields sprayed!  ;yes;

vvarmitr

:laugh2:  :laugh2:  :laugh2:  :laugh2:  :laugh2:  :laugh2:    
Sorry I couldn't resist Barry.  :nono: The green tank is an oil well tank. Some people think they make great shooting platforms.    Sometimes they find enough of the body to have a funeral.   :iroll:

It sure has been great getting out. I think g'hoggen is one of my callings. Sometimes I can envision myself standing atop a round bale over looking a bean field, rifle in one hand, cross sticks in the other, binos dangling from my neck, wearing tight camo leotards w/ a V embroidered on the chest. & a contractor bag cape flapping in the wind.

:bowingsmilie:  :bowingsmilie:  :bowingsmilie: Victor Varminter - Guardian of the beans!  :yoyo:  :yoyo:  :yoyo:  :yoyo:

FinsnFur

Quote from: vvarmitr on July 26, 2010, 03:42:23 PM
... & a contractor bag cape flapping in the wind.

ROFLMAO!  :alscalls: :alscalls:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

iahntr

Scott

coyotehunter_1

:yoyo: Guardian of the beans, way to go!!!  :highclap:  

Quote.... my version of Ole Reliable in 222

Not many gunners shoot that vintage cartridge anymore but most of us that do really like it. :biggrin:
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

vvarmitr

July 26th

Quote from: vvarmitr on July 25, 2010, 09:56:59 PM
I need to be back there tomorrow morning w/ the 17HaMeR.  :eyebrow:
Well, that's what I did. Called the farmer & told him I was headed over so when he heard the gun fire he wouldn't think he was having a Vietnam flash back.  :huh:
I get there & pull up beside a row of round bales off the two track, get the guns out & loaded.
Got the 17HMR up on top the bale & the 222 leaning against the neighboring bale.
It's a little after 8 & I have the sun directly at my back. So now I wait.
8:20 I notice a g'hog at my right watching me from the grassy edge of the field not 20yds away. :biggrin:
Only problem is the stock on the 17 is a thumbhole & I need to shoot left-handed.  :doh2:
W/ acute dexterity (& moving my quid to my right cheek  :iroll:) I'm able to pull the shot off .....

8:45ish I notice another g'hog off to my right way the heck out there heading for the beans.
This is a job for the 222.  I set the 222 on top a bale & again  shoulder it to the left.
I'm rewarded w/ another photo-op ....

It's after 10 & the barn g'hogs I came for haven't shown. :madd:
I move the car down the two track & into some shade.  :whew:
Before I get the car stopped I see a g'hog cross the main road & come up on the far side of the beans from me. He gives me a stare down & runs back across the road.  :doh2:
I hurry & get things ready in case he comes out again.
While I'm waiting wouldn't ya know the one barn g'hog shows up & is keeping an eye me.
Finally I'm able to get the 17 set & pop her behind the ear......

To be continued  :sleep2:

Bills Custom Calls

Dang James you have been cleaning up on them hogs now  :yoyo: :yoyo: Sounds like your having a wonderful time
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

Frogman

vv,

Good shooting!  I have a .222 Remington M700.  It is a real shooter!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

Hawks Feather

V.V.

Don't shoot them all.  Remember to leave some for seed.

Jerry

HaMeR

Cool deal VV!! Glad you're out making "good" hogs outta the live ones again!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11