• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

1400yds Is a LOOOOOoong Shot! Sniper's Challange

Started by WldWldWest, May 14, 2010, 10:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WldWldWest

Young son and I went to a shoot that's put on every year on an Airstrip and you can shoot out to 1400yds not really a competition just a place that that gives you the opportunity to see what your rig will do.....Or not do! A bunch of really knowledgeable guy's and a TON of cool rifles. Colt made several shot's at 1350 but the furthest shot the Oldman pulled off was 1250. I hit 1 out of 3, all the targets are steel and very in size the biggest being an upper portion of a man and trust me anything past 1000 a man is VERY SMALL!

Colt made his shot's with his Rem 700 PSS with a Nightforce scope and I made mine with an M40 Clone on a Rem action with
Nightforce glass both in 308 And Lemme tell ya At that distance a 308 is Smooth outta gas!!! I really went to watch but course I had my rifle in the truck and couldnt stand not slinging some lead so I coughed up my 100.00 and played a bit but next time I'm gonna drag out the 338Lapua it will be more at home at those ranges.

They did have one target at 1000 that ya paid 5 bucks to shoot and the best time won. When we left the best time was 29 seconds and you have to set your glass to zero and stand behind your rifle and at the sound of the buzzer you jump down prone and dial up your dope and make your shot. The Guy's we were shooting with tried to talk Colt into doing it as In practice he was doing it in 19 seconds but he said he didnt wanna show off. I think he would have folded under the pressure!

I still dont want him shooting at me at any distance :nono: The Boy definitely has an eye for shooting I figure I can brag on him since he wont read this!
"Choot...Choot em Jacob!"

!

Yotehntr

:congrats:  :congrats:  :congrats:  I meant to call and ask you how that went Doug!   Dang them young eye's are hard to beat aint they! Wish I could've gone along with ya'll... daughters graduation kept me from it though...maybe next year....  $100 just to shoot though?... :whew:   Just another note about Colt...  He is one of the finest young men I've had the honor of meeting.   I  always feel guilty with all the  "yes sir's" and old time respect for your elders  he shows...You can tell his old man is "old school".   :wink:
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

Bopeye

Sounds Awesome cuz, but you are right, 1400 yards is way out yonder. Glad you and the boy got to spend some quality father/son time.  :yoyo: :yoyo: :yoyo: :highclap: :highclap: :highclap:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

KySongDog

Sounds like a heck of a good time.   Did anyone bring a Barret .50 cal?   Or a Barret .416?   I so very much want one of those toys.   :eyebrownod:

If you like long range shooting here is an excellent book,  "Marine Sniper: 93 Confirmed Kills" by Charles Henderson.  
It is the true story of Sgt Carlos Hathcock in Vietnam.  He is a Marine Corps god.   :bowingsmilie:

http://www.amazon.com/Marine-Sniper-93-Confirmed-Kills/dp/0425181650/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273917686&sr=8-1

HuntnCarve

Sounds like a great time spent with your son. :highclap:

Didn't I read somewhere on here where Hawks Feather Jerry shot a groundhog at 1400 yards with his .17HMR? :laf:

Semp, that was a great book about Carlos.

Dave

WldWldWest

Whitefeather the Sharkhunter Done many hours of reading on this man He is definantly a hero of ours. One of the most amazing thing's about him is that he made most of his shot's with an old Winchester Model 70 that was a 2MOA rifle at best, Goes to show ya he was as much a hunter as he was a shooter. Ya gotta love the shot he made at 2400yds with a Browning M2 50cal MG with a homade scope mount and a Unrtel scope that takes talent.

Semp, Colt said there were a couple of 50's there on sat but I didnt get to see em on Sun. I'm with you I want one really bad!

Yotehntr, Thank's for the kind word's about Colt! That's what ya get when ya beat em every day whether they need it or not! :nono:
Quote from: Semp on May 15, 2010, 05:06:54 AM
Sounds like a heck of a good time.   Did anyone bring a Barret .50 cal?   Or a Barret .416?   I so very much want one of those toys.   :eyebrownod:

If you like long range shooting here is an excellent book,  "Marine Sniper: 93 Confirmed Kills" by Charles Henderson.  
It is the true story of Sgt Carlos Hathcock in Vietnam.  He is a Marine Corps god.   :bowingsmilie:

http://www.amazon.com/Marine-Sniper-93-Confirmed-Kills/dp/0425181650/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273917686&sr=8-1

!

HaMeR

That sounds like it would be a lot of fun Doug!! Glad you two had a blast & I hope I get to meet Colt @ the LBL someday!!  :biggrin:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

WldWldWest

What pic's Jim? I didnt post any........Or are you busting my chops for not taking any? :wo: :wo: :wo: I'm such a computer retard and I usually dont even think about it till after the fact. Maybe Colt did on Sat. I'll check and if he did  I'll....He will post em for me. :rolleye:

!

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com