• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

LBL Magazine capacity

Started by CCP, December 29, 2007, 09:31:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCP

Just wanted to ask are we still good on Magazines above 5 rounds hunting in LBL. I use the 20 round USGI mags in the AR with 10 rounds in it. I was also going to try out the 40S&W with 10 round mag. I do have some 5 round mags for the AR if I need to bring them.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

weedwalker

For furbearers on the Ky side, the only restriction is shotguns pluged to 3 shells, no magazine restrictions for rifles. I'm not sure about the Tn side.

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Jimmie in Ky

Magazine capacity for rifles all across the state in Ky is ten rounds. Doesn't matter what you are hunting. Bummer eh. Jimmie

CCP

Alright Chet I need the info for the TN side I know you got it. :wink:
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

weedwalker

Quote from: Jimmie in Ky on December 29, 2007, 01:01:25 PM
Magazine capacity for rifles all across the state in Ky is ten rounds. Doesn't matter what you are hunting. Bummer eh. Jimmie

Jimmie,
That is only for the deer hunting regulations, not small game or furbearers.

securpro

Jimmy is right for Ky, remember thats 10 rounds max capacity not 10 rounds in a 20 round magazine. Kind of a bummer but stick to your 5 or 10 round mags and youll be fine plus like JC said you only need 1 anyway  :biggrin:
"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

securpro

weedwalker

I disagree. The restriction is only for deer hunting. Do you plug your .22 tube fed mag for squirrels? The only restrictions for furbearers is the shotgun plug.

weedwalker

FURBEARER EQUIPMENT RESTRICTIONS

Legal

Furbearer hunters may use the following to take furbearers:

• Muzzle-loading or modern rifles or handguns of any caliber

• Shotguns no larger than 10-gauge

• Archery or crossbow equipment

• Dogs

• Falconry                   

Shotguns used to hunt furbearers must be plugged to hold a maximum of three shells (two in magazine and one in chamber).

Illegal

The following is prohibited:

• Hunting these species with slingshots

• Using or carrying buckshot when hunting these species

On some WMAs, special equipment restrictions apply, as noted in the Public Land Hunting section of this guide.

Bopeye

Foxpro Staff Infection Free

weedwalker

This Ky guide gives all equipment restrictions for all types of game. You can look it up.

http://www.kdfwr.state.ky.us/navigation.asp?cid=624&NavPath=C151C132

A deer hunter shall not use or possess while deer hunting:

• Firearms able to hold more than a total of 11 rounds (10 in magazine and one in chamber)

KySongDog

Quote from: weedwalker on December 29, 2007, 02:30:02 PM
FURBEARER EQUIPMENT RESTRICTIONS

Illegal

The following is prohibited:

• Using or carrying buckshot when hunting these species

So does that mean that 4buck is illegal anywhere in Kentucky for coyote?   :confused:

weedwalker

That's right Semp. "F" shot is the biggest you can use. Some WMA's even smaller.

KySongDog

I knew LBL was BB or smaller (T shot is OK at LBL during February)  but thought 4buck was OK in the rest of Kentucky.  :innocentwhistle:

Ya know, that just doesn't seem right when you can use center fire rifles in KY all year for coyotes.  Why penalize 4buck??  :confused:

coyotehunter_1

:confused: Ain't it?

CCP,
I don't know about Kentucky but in Tennessee there are no restrictions on rifle or handgun magazine capacity. Also there are no restriction on the number of rounds in a shotgun except when hunting migratory birds. While hunting migratory birds, the shotgun must be incapable of holding more than three rounds.

Gang,
Since LBL is FEDERAL property they have their own added rules and regulations but as far as game laws are concerned, in the past, they have used which ever state's game regulations the hunter is licensed to hunt in. If you are hunting in Tennessee then Tennessee regulations apply. In Kentucky, the Kentucky regulations apply. Example:  I don't know what shot size is now legal for coyotes in Kentucky but T size is the largest we can use in Tennessee. If you get caught with shot larger than T in your possession while hunting in Tennessee them you are in deep doo-doo and I don't know you.  :innocentwhistle:
Talking to TWRA officer, "being in possession" not only means on your person but also in your vehicle. 

Unless this has changed in the last year, handgun carry permits are NOT valid on the LBL Get caught and you maybe looking at FEDERAL charges. ... again I don't know you. :laf:   

From the TWRA website (for the Tennessee hunters) :
http://state.tn.us/twra/huntweapons.html

Game Law Regulations (in part)
LEGAL EQUIPMENT
Small Game Hunting
Shotguns and handguns using ammunition loaded with Number 4 or smaller shot are legal for all small game hunting.
Shotguns using ammunition loaded with T (0.20 inch diameter) or smaller shot are legal for hunting coyotes and beaver except during big game seasons.
Shotguns loaded with nontoxic shot approved by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service are legal for hunting waterfowl.
Rifles and handguns using rim-fire ammunition and air rifles are legal for hunting small game except migratory birds.
Rifles and handguns using center-fire ammunition are legal for hunting beaver, bobcat, coyotes, feral hogs, fox, groundhogs, and crows, except during deer, bear, or boar seasons.
Muzzleloading firearms (rifles, handguns, shotguns).
Longbows, compound bows, crossbows and other bows drawn or held by a mechanical device.
Weapons may be equipped with sighting devices except those devices utilizing an artificial light capable of locating wildlife. Night vision scopes are illegal.

Ammunition
Possession of ammunition except that as specifically authorized is prohibited on all wildlife management areas, state refuges, and public hunting areas.
Possession of shotgun ammunition loaded with more than one solid ball, such as buckshot, is specifically prohibited while hunting deer, bear, boar, or feral hogs except in those counties where authorized by Private Act.
Possession of shot larger than No. 4 is prohibited when hunting all wildlife except waterfowl, coyotes, and beaver.
Possession of rifled slugs is prohibited except while hunting deer, bear, boar, and feral hogs.
Possession or use of any loose shot other that nontoxic (as approved by the U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service) or any shotgun shell loaded with shot other than nontoxic is prohibited while hunting waterfowl, coots, gallinules, Virginia rails, and sora rails.
There is no restriction on the number of rounds in a shotgun except when hunting migratory birds. While hunting migratory birds, the shotgun must be incapable of holding more than three rounds.

Illegal Weapons
Shotguns using ammunition loaded with shot larger than Number Four (4) are prohibited for hunting all wildlife except beavers, coyotes, and waterfowl.
Shotguns loaded with single ball or rifled slug ammunition are prohibited for hunting all wildlife except deer, bear, boar, and feral hogs except as follows: Coyotes, bobcats, foxes, and crows (when those seasons are open) may be taken by big game hunters while hunting big game with any legal big game weapon or ammunition.
Rifles or handguns loaded with military or other full metal jacketed type of ammunition are prohibited.
Rifles or handguns loaded with center-fire ammunition are prohibited for all hunting between 30 minutes after sunset and 30 minutes before sunrise.
Rifles or handguns loaded with center-fire ammunition are prohibited during all deer, bear, or boar seasons for hunting any wildlife except deer, bear, or boar. Coyotes, crows, groundhogs, beaver, feral hogs, foxes, and bobcats may be taken by big game hunters while hunting big game with any legal big game weapon or ammunition.
Any arrow with poisoned or chemically treated tip or explosive head is illegal for hunting.
Weapons capable of fully automatic fire are prohibited for hunting of all wildlife.
Firearms or archery equipment with any device utilizing an artificial light capable of locating wildlife. Night vision scopes are illegal.
Shotguns capable of holding more than three shells when hunting migratory birds (doves, ducks, geese, and woodcock, etc.).
Prohibited Acts
The use or possession of predator calls while night hunting of any species is prohibited.
The use or possession of a pod arrow, any pod-type device for holding drugs or chemicals on an arrow, or any drugs or chemicals used in pod arrows while archery hunting is prohibited.
Youths under the age of eighteen (18) are prohibited from using handguns for the purpose of hunting.
Hunting is prohibited over a site where bait has been placed to feed or attract wildlife unless the bait has been removed at least ten (10) days prior to hunting.
Use or possession of electronic light amplifying night vision scopes is prohibited when in possession of a firearm or archery tackle between sunset and sunrise.
On WMAs and PHAs all guns must be unloaded while being transported. A muzzleloader is considered to be unloaded if the cap is removed from the nipple. A crossbow is considered to be unloaded if the bolt is removed from the device.
It is unlawful to hunt, shoot at, chase, or kill any wild animal, wild bird, or wildfowl on public lands and waters within 100 yards of a visible dwelling house, whether or not such a dwelling is on public or private lands, without the owner's permission.
It is unlawful for any person, or one or more of a group of persons together, to willfully throw or cast the rays of a spotlight, headlight, or other artificial light in an apparent attempt or intent to locate deer by the use of such light.
Persons with archery tackle may not carry firearms or be accompanied by a person possessing firearms during the archery-only season.
Use or possession of electronic calls for fox, turkey, and waterfowl is prohibited.
It is illegal to hunt, shoot at, chase, or kill any wild animal, wild bird, or wildfowl from a public road right-of-way, or from any motorized vehicle, or to shoot any firearms across or from any public road or vehicle.
All hunting seasons are closed unless opened by specific Tennessee Wildlife Resources Commission proclamation.

Please note:
Other regulations may apply.  When in doubt give the office @ LBL ( Golden Pond)  a call.
Land Between The Lakes: 100 Van Morgan Drive, Golden Pond, KY 42211. (270) 924-2000

It just might save you a ticket or worse.  :doh2:  

From the LBL website:
http://www.lbl.org/SmallGameGuide.html

LEGAL WEAPONS FOR SMALL GAME HUNTING
Shotguns, rimfire rifles, rimfire handguns, muzzleloaders, and archery equipment according to state regulations with the following exceptions: the use of crossbows, in KY, centerfire rifles, centerfire handguns, and shotguns loaded with slugs or shot (lead and steel) larger than BB in the Kentucky portion or larger than No. 4 in the Tennessee portion are prohibited (except for coyotes in February-see regulations). Broadheads may not be used for small game hunting except for specified game during the deer archery season.

Firearms transported in vehicles must be unloaded in both magazine and chamber.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted by: CCP
QuoteI was also going to try out the 40S&W with 10 round mag.

Yep, Rich.... I may take the S&W 29, 44mag.... just in case one of those "LBL boogers" shows up.  :roflmao:

Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

CCP

QuoteYep, Rich.... I may take the S&W 29, 44mag.... just in case one of those "LBL boogers" shows up.

I know what you mean Chet you never know. :eyebrow:

I was thinking of bringing my new Ruger PC4 carbine in 40S&W so far it is shooting good and think it will be a good 0 to 50yard gun. Hope to find out before LBL. If not the ole whisper will do it. :biggrin:
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net