Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
The Tailgate / Re: Apple pie for Punjabi neighbour revisited
« Last post by Okanagan on Today at 08:45:51 AM »
We ate goat a few times when I was growing up.  Similar to venison in  my memory.  And I've eaten Rocky Mountain goats several times.  The wild mountain goats have all been superb flavor and the most consistently tough meat I've encountered.  We gave up on making anything but stew cubes out of a huge old billy I tagged, and my wife makes a wonderful stew in a slow cooker.

We are moving down across the line to live near my two boys and eight of our ten grandkids, in a place called Sequim, about 60 miles west of Seattle.  My wife had a bad fall awhile back and my sons said, "Dad, why don't you move near us so that if anything happens to either of you, it will be easier for us to take care of you."  Of all the things a son could say, that is pretty good, and at least living in the same country makes it easier on them when we/I kick the bucket.  It is time.

It is hard to give up four months of deer season, over the counter moose, elk, bear, caribou, 3 kinds of sheep, Rocky Mountain goats, lynx, fabulous fishing for trout and salmon etc. etc. but I am getting too aged to hunt most of those well, and being near Code and the other grand-kids is a fabulous trade-off.

« Last post by remrogers on Today at 08:31:17 AM »
What goes around, comes around.
The Tailgate / Today in history 12-11
« Last post by remrogers on Today at 08:30:26 AM »
Toronto endures record snowstorm

The city of Toronto, Canada, is battered with its worst-ever snowfall on this day in 1944. Twenty-one people died as a result of the record storm, in which nearly 20 inches of snow fell in a single day.

The storm began hundreds of miles to the south near the Gulf of Mexico; it stalled after moving north over Toronto. In addition to the tremendous amount of snow, the winds from the storm were so high that visibility was reduced to nothing. The blizzard also created huge drifts that trapped people inside their homes. A streetcar on Queen Street was knocked over by the wind and snow, trapping 170 people and killing one person. All traffic and businesses in the city were shut down. Perhaps most importantly, as the storm took place during World War II, the city’s ammunition factory was forced to close.

Thirteen of the 21 storm-related deaths came as a result of heart attacks caused by overexertion as people shoveled snow to dig themselves out of their homes. The Toronto Daily Star‘s headline the next day was “Whole City Stopped as if by Giant Hand.” Mac’s, a famous restaurant at the University of Toronto, had to close for the first time in its history.

Although it is difficult to measure snowfall to assess records, this blizzard was certainly close to a single-day high. In the 1998-99 winter, Mt. Baker in northeastern Washington reported its own record high—a remarkable 1,140 inches of snow. This is believed to be the all-time high for seasonal snowfall.
« Last post by Hawks Feather on Today at 08:28:58 AM »
Nice of them to invite you to their gathering.  Sounds like a good time.  I can't think of a time that I have eaten goat, but if it is meat it can't be too bad.

I suppose that you are moving someplace nice like inner-city Seattle so you will be closer to all the things that I think you would not like.   :innocentwhistle:

Jerry
Predator Hunting / Re: Lights
« Last post by Hawks Feather on Today at 08:25:01 AM »
It has been several years since I went out with lights but do have a ‘decent’ collection of them.  Light Force is probably the best quality light that I have, but it only made it to the field a couple of times. Then there are several like you can find Cabela’s, Wal-Mart, etc. They work, but don’t have the quality build that the Light Force does.  Then there are several that will clip on a scope, others with headbands, etc.

As has been mentioned, at least with my experience with racoons, they don’t like white light shining on them.  With white light you would see their eyes and then they went shut.  Turning the light off for a few minutes and then shining ‘around’ them would get their eyes back open.  All of that changed when I switched to amber or red lens.  {O.K. so I am old} when I and others first heard about this, they weren’t making colored lens for lights, so we used some type of yellow marking dye and would cover the lens.  It would be all streaked, but who cared what it looked like as long as the coon would keep their eyes open.

Jerry

P.S. Welcome to FnF
The Tailgate / Apple pie for Punjabi neighbour revisited
« Last post by Okanagan on Today at 08:23:30 AM »
We are moving.  I offered some un-opened food to Amrit, my Punjabi neighbor.  He is the fellow I posted about a couple of years ago when we met over the fence by our backyard apple tree.  On a whim I had baked an apple pie for him because he had heard of apple pie but never eaten one. 

When I gave him the food two days ago, he reciprocated.  He knocked on my door and invited me to go with him and a hulking Punjabi man at his side.  We walked to a house half a block away and joined five other Punjabi men sitting around a small table in a garage beside a propane burner with a large stainless steel pot on it.  Three of them spoke no English.

I am apparently famous as the man who made an apple pie for Amrit.  He told everyone where he works and all of his extended family and friends.  Everyone in this circle was related:  brothers, cousins, brothers-in-law, etc.  Amrit's father was the cook.  They own three houses and live within a 50 yard radius of a residential street corner.  The men of the extended family gather this way once a week to eat, shoot the breeze, and some sip a bit of whiskey.

The spicy meat “stew” was fabulous.  I asked what they call the concoction and they said, “Goat.”  It is small chunks of goat meat slow cooked in a green spicy hearty broth.  With hot baked flat bread chapattis it is superb.  They invited me back.  Wish I had hooked up with them awhile back, before I am on the verge of moving away.

I'm going to give Amrit some whitetail chunks I've frozen awaiting a time to grind them into hamburger.  Whitetail should make a good "goat" stew...

« Last post by Okanagan on Today at 07:56:08 AM »
As a slight tangent but in the ballpark of your query, I have used a white hand-held spot light successfully on deer and coyotes.  Successful defined as calling coyotes inside of 15 feet while using the light and approaching a large blacktail buck (during heavy rain) to within 6 feet.  Night callers in California years ago told me to use the light sparingly and never shine it directly on the animal till ready to shoot.  Shine the light above the animal and pick up the animal's eye reflection with the merest edge of the light beam.  FWIW I'd use a red or green light the same way.

Another recollection:  a cougar I called one night would approach me as long as I used no light or a red light, a very puny small headlamp beam, but would retreat the instant I switched to a stronger white light.

No shooting involved in any of my night calling, just curiosity. Others here have far more experience with lights for night calling. 

Birds / Re: It all came down to the last two days.
« Last post by HaMeR on Today at 06:35:14 AM »
Nice hunt Pat!! Glad you got a couple birds!! I'm surprised they haven't left your end of the State by now!!  :eyebrownod: :eyebrownod:
« Last post by slagmaker on Today at 05:41:42 AM »
The light is white but you can get colored filters. I use a red filter but several people swear by amber and green.

Light force has two sizes of predator light a 140mm and a 170mm reflector. I use the larger and one of my cousins uses the smaller. In truth the only difference I can tell is the price,
« Last post by REALDONNYFENDER on Yesterday at 08:46:23 PM »
Are the lights clear or do they come in a color or does it matter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10