• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

If you have an infant, READ THIS!

Started by cathryn, September 23, 2010, 06:48:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cathryn

Similac Recalled After Beetles Found in Formula

David Knowles
Writer

AOL News Surge Desk (Sept. 22) -- It's not exactly like Mom used to make.

Abbott Laboratories today issued a recall of nearly 5 million units of Similac baby formula after consumers reported finding beetles and their larvae in the powdered breast milk substitute. An inspection of the Sturgis, Mich., plant where the formula is manufactured confirmed the contamination.

Production at the plant has been halted while it is treated for the infestation, CNN reported.

What, exactly, is being recalled?
Approximately 5 million units of powdered Similac that is packaged in plastic containers, as well as 8-ounce, 12.4-ounce and 12.9-ounce cans of formula are being recalled. Liquid Similac is not believed to have been affected and is not being recalled.

Why is it being recalled?
Who likes finding beetles or larvae in their powdered baby formula? In a statement released today, Abbott Laboratories said that though the Food and Drug Administration determined there was "no immediate health risk," there was "a possibility that infants who consume the formula containing the beetles or their larvae could experience symptoms of gastrointestinal discomfort and refusal to eat."

Where is the recall being issued?
Stores throughout the United States, Puerto Rico, Guam and nations in the Caribbean are affected by the recall.

Consumers seeking further information about the recall can call the company at 800-986-8850.

http://www.aolnews.com/surge-desk/article/massive-similac-recall-after-beetles-found-in-baby-formula/19645067

i just wanted ya'll new parents to be aware if you were feeding your baby Similac

KySongDog

On the plus side, the beetles should add some protein to the mix.   :biggrin:

FinsnFur

They had that on the news this morning. Pretty wild stuff.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

I think my grandkids are safe.  The girls both breast feed their babies.

Jerry