• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Whites

Started by pitw, October 29, 2015, 02:40:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pitw

Had a glorious fall day up here yesterday and seeing as the wife was growling like a dambed bear, I took off on an adventure.  Three hours driving found me at a bridge that I fished for Whites from and the only human I saw was a maintainer operator. :biggrin:  % beaver kept me company as well as 1 large black bear, 7 WT's, countless birds, several red squirrels and a mink.  I caught and kept 5 for tonites supper and the only pics I got are of them in the tub as I was out to enjoy myself.

I think the coyote I had pics of swimming close to where I was musta drowned as I never seen him. :sad: :wo:
I say what I think not think what I say.

FinsnFur

What kinda fish is that?
Any day out on the river is a good day :congrats: And it sounds like you had plenty to enjoy while ya was out there. Nice lil harvest :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

pitw

FinsnFur

Never heard of, I say never heard of em. :huh:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

pitw

Quote from: FinsnFur on October 30, 2015, 11:54:06 PM
Never heard of, I say never heard of em. :huh:

Now you is searting to sound like me. :innocentwhistle:

Okanagan

WTG!   :highclap:  You're ahead of me as I have never caught one the couple of times I tried.  Their reputation is very good on the table.

What do you use for bait/lure?  FWIW a local fisherman told me that whitefish like to hang out under the log rafts tied near the mouth of Bear Creek in Lake Okanagan, across the lake from Kelowna in BC.   He said that his best bait was a gob of the slimy algae that forms on the underwater side of the logs.  We moved away from there before I tried that.   On an elk hunt once we ran across a fellow fishing off of a logging bridge over the White River in the East Kootenays.  We could  see fish in the clear swift water that he said were whitefish but he didn't catch any while we were there.  We could see a few big fish that he said were cutthroat trout in the 6 lb. range.

Too many good things to do in life.  Good kind of problem we have. 

Dale

when I saw the mouth, I was wondering if they may have been more vegetarian then carnivore... let us in on how you caught them and how do they eat?...   :biggrin:
when you step out of the truck you become part of the food chain...

pitw

I use a wire worm or russian jig that floats under the bobber horizontally.  They eats just fine to me but others consider them a junk fish.  I have enjoyed chasing these dang things for 45 years.

pitw

I went out yesterday and did something I've never done before.  I fished open water in December and actually caught a few.  The little river between two lakes was open so I had to try.  First pics are of the river between the lakes trying to show the ice covered bigger bodies.

Then 2 showing the ice trying to form along the shore.  Was really neat listening to this ice breaking and falling down all day. :biggrin:

Then one of the fish I was after. :yoyo:

Very peaceful up there as I had the area to myself all day except for the beaver, mink, squirrels, deer, moose, ducks and a bunch of other things.

coyote101

Very nice Barry.  :yoyo:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Dale

so how many made the trip home with you?...

Hawks Feather

Barry,

Many years ago I took a beaver fishing with me, but I really wasn't interested in fishing and the beaver wasn't all that interested in me becoming a friend.  So it was not a good fishing trip.

Jerry

pitw

I only brought two home as I lost most of them trying to get them up on the ice.  The fact I got to try was priceless. 
Jerry could you tell more of the beaver story?  Pic's of a nice beaver would be nice tooooooooooooooo. :biggrin:
For some reason these fish were just a mite better tasting than usual. :shrug:

Dale

nice, any meal of fresh fish is better then store bought or out of the freezer...

if you're fishing off that bridge mostly, have you ever thought of a drop net to bring them up?...

it may be from coming out of that cold water that made them taste better...

I searched wire worm lures and found this page, are these like what you're using?...

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=153238.0

Hawks Feather

Quote from: pitw on December 10, 2015, 09:12:14 AM
Jerry could you tell more of the beaver story?  Pic's of a nice beaver would be nice tooooooooooooooo. :biggrin:

That was way back in the days before cell phones and digital cameras.  Trying to SNAP it with a BOX camera could be a problem.  As for the story, it would be too long of a tale to tell here.  I can say that it didn't end the way I had hoped. 

Jerry

FinsnFur

Jerry  :innocentwhistle: :laf:

Where's all the ice Barry? We cant seem to get any to grow either  :confused:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

nastygunz

I use wireworms flyfishing all the time!

pitw

Never got fishing in September this year and fall has always been my time but a screwed up year can do that.  Asked my boy Don if he had a buddy who wanted to waste a day chasing whitefish at near freezing temps.  Answer was yes so Yesterday morning we left home with the boat at 6am and got to boat launch by 10am.  Lake was still foggy as [L] but we took our time to get to the next lake which was a challenge as the water was down at least three feet.  Fog burnt off and we made our way to the end of the second lake where we tried for the fish.  The lads were getting a mite upset as I pulled in a fish on near every cast and I told them to pay attention.  After I had caught enough for me I gave them my rod and took each of theirs to look at.  One was brand new and had twine on it for sturgeon or something the other had old twine that curled up like a pubic hair. The lads caught a bunch of fish each before they decided they had enough and home we came.  I had took the camera with to take pics but me lad had taken the card out for homework so no pics of the trip.

The fish put in a pail at home to be cleaned.

The lads lined them up for a pic.

Then after doing this part[which both lads got to do a third each as I believe they either learn to clean their catch or not go] we were done by 10pm.

She were a great day and both lads said we should do it again if I will help them choose some line.  Fun part was no gaming other than betting on which animal we would see next. I'll take a day like this over most any other as we was the only ones out enjoying the fall weather.  I suppose most think fish hibernate or something.

nastygunz

Whitefish lives matter!.... :innocentwhistle: