• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Snappers !!!!

Started by cb223, July 05, 2007, 09:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cb223

How many of you guys go after snappers (TURTLES) for table fare? Do you fish them or trap them?

I went fishing for them with a friend of mine. We caught 3 of them in 2 hours. The biggest one had a 16" shell. I've never done this before but he told me they were good!!! So I went. We just used a treble hook with a little bacon wrapped around it and left it sitting on the bottom. It seemed to work very well because we caught other fish also!

It was alot of fun!!!

What's a good recipe?

CHAD

FinsnFur

Cant say I ever have.
My dad talks about it all the time, but after hearing some of the gore storys that went with it since I was 10 years old, kinda shied me from becoming interested enough to do it.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

keekee

Well, I grew up noodling for them from the time I could walk to were they had to carry me threw the deep holes till I was in my late 20's. After my grand dad got to were he could not go anymore due to health reasons I kind of quit.

Now I just set bank lines to get them or jugs. Just enough to put in some table fair.

As for eating them, there awesome! All we do is clean them up real good roll the in flower and deep fry them till they are crisp. Fix a big salad, and some Zesta crackers and were good to go!

Say? What ya doing with the shells?

Brent

cb223

Brent,   

Do you have all your fingers? There is no friggin way I would dig around in the mud for a snapper!!!!

My friend cleaned them, I assume he dumped them but I'll check. If I go again I'll save them if you want.

What do you do with them?
CHAD

keekee

Nope! I am missing part of a finger! But its not from a turtle...lol

We did get nailed every once in awhile though. Not much you can do about that but if you hunt smart you can take the odd down in your favor. And don't jerk your hand if you do get bit, that makes it worse and what ever you do don't turn loose of one and then go back and try to get him...lol

Its been several years now sense I have done it and not sure now that I have lost the drive if I could even get back into it or not?

I make possible bags out of the shells..........

Brent

Hawks Feather

Brent,

Nice looking bag.  The black powder group will like that. 

My cousin and I started talking with a man that went by the name of Little Turtle at Friendship years back.  He claimed he was a descendant of the Miami tribe  and thus wore the turtle shell.  My cousin asked if he could look at it, got permission, turned it over and there were maggots on the inside of the shell.  He had not cleaned it.  Needless to say, Little Turtle was quickly left in the dust as my cousin headed to the wash room to clean his hand.  I loved it.

Jerry

Bopeye

That's just plain nasty Jerry...... :puke:
I was sitting here enjoying a couple dozen pancakes too...........  :rolleye:
I bet I can't eat but nine or ten now......  :pout:
:wink:

That is a sweet looking bag Brent......... :eyebrow:

Foxpro Staff Infection Free

KySongDog

Ewww!  Maggots....... :puke:

keekee

That's un real Jerry! And nasty....lol :roflmao:

I take the spine out of my shells and sand them down, then line the inside of the shell with Rabbit or Coyote fur the inside of those shells a rough and the fur adds a nice touch.

Brent

Hawks Feather

If I ever see "Little Turtle" again, I will suggest that he give the fur a try.  Of course, he wold probably just skin the rabbit, not scrape it or tan it, and line the turtle shell.  Or better yet, just tell him to get one from you.

Jerry

weedwalker

Jerry, maybe that was Little Turtle's lunch box you were lookin' at.  :roflmao: :roflmao:

Hawks Feather

:puke:    :puke:    :puke:  and some more    :puke:

Bopeye

How much is one of them bad boys Brent?  :wo:
I'd be interested in getting one of those for a Christmas present to someone.  :biggrin:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

CCP

Quotemaybe that was Little Turtle's lunch box you were lookin' at.

:roflmao: :roflmao:
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

keekee

Bop,

It depends on the size of the shell and how much work goes into the beading and fancy stuff. That bag in that picture sold for 100.00 at a show. I have had some bags go for as much as 400.00 to the right person. And allot of it depends on if it is all traditional, glass beads, sinew, what kind of leather I use, and what kind of fur is inside the bag, size of the shell.

But I would be happy to make you a deal. I wouldn't charge you or any FNF member near that much.

Brent

Hawks Feather

Brent is giving FnF discounts.  That is GREAT!

Jerry

awh

Heck ya we go after them for table fare.

HInt, this works well......
Take them to the local car wash if you don't have a pressure washer and wash them real good. AThen let them set in a barrel of clean water for a day odr so before you clean them. Takes all the smell out this way(well, 99% of the smell)

Brent, have ya a few still drying out. Cam got a nice painted box turtle tonight, but he say's it's his pet for now.... :shrug: I'll send them your way as soon as we are done fishing for them and hopefully you should have several to keep ya busy. :wink:
My views and opinions are based upon being banned from a place that has no morals or the common sense God gave to a pecker gnat. I also hate frogs and will reply to such at any given chance. Thank You.

FOsteology

How do you clean them and what part(s) do you eat?? The legs?

awh

You can eat all the meat on them.
We take a nail and nail them to a tree through the tail where the bottom of the shel is facing out. Then we take a sharp knife or cutters and cut the shel between the front and back legs on each side of the shell. After you get the bottom half of the shel off we make a cut around the upper legs so you can take a pair of pliers and pull the skin off. Then cut the legs off.
We boil the legs till the meat is falling off the bone then take the meat and roll it in a flour mix and fry them in oil. I'm telling ya if you like meat your going to love this. Cam eats it as fast as he can get it off the bone before we ever roll it in the flour.

And it don't taste like chicken....At least I don't think so.
My views and opinions are based upon being banned from a place that has no morals or the common sense God gave to a pecker gnat. I also hate frogs and will reply to such at any given chance. Thank You.

FOsteology

Interesting. I've seen a few snappers at a ranch I take my boys to. May have to give them a try.