• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

handcall sounds

Started by sleddogg, September 12, 2006, 11:07:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sleddogg

This kind of goes with CCP's post on what a rabbit sounds like. These are some sounds I nade on an open reed call and howler by Rich Cronk. All sounds are field proven and have called a good amount of preds.

http://www.esnips.com/web/sleddogg125sBusinessFiles

Got some puppies, howling, jack and cottontail.  Hope this helps a new handcaller :wink:

THO Game Calls

nice sounds :)   no doubt those work in the woods LOL. 

Al
THO Game Calls
www.thogamecalls.com
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

sleddogg

Hi Al

Just to let you know, I used that nice blue acrylic open reed you sent me last year on my last bobcat hunt. I was Feb 8th, and wind was blowin HARD. I reached for the THO on my last stand of the day, and called a LOUD rabbit in distress. I was ready to give up after about 45 minutes, but saw some crows rasin hell just inside the woods. Small bobcat crossed about 100 yards of open field to reach us. My son held his shot, as this was a very small cat. Still, just goes to show you that your call carries well in the wind.

My call-in rate is still at least 2 to 1 in favor of handcalls over my e-caller. But I still use the e-caller when wind makes stand set up impossible.

Still love to just grab an open reed, rifle, and hit the woods. No big theories or strategies, just some old fashioned huntin' and callin' :eyebrownod:

THO Game Calls

There have been many a day when I was out in the woods January February time frame when I sat down under a tree to have some coffee and a sandwich, and then started a stand calling for no other reason than I was there and it was a nice spot. 

Those sounds of your are good enough for a guy to record and loop on his E caller LOL.

Glad that call worked for you guys, but I like the way you are teaching your son especially.  Letting any animal walk is really tough for a lot of guys, but even more so for a young hunter.  Teaching him to respect the game is a lesson that carries to everything in life.  Nice job.

Al
THO Game Calls
www.thogamecalls.com
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

kyray

Dandy sounds sleddogg! Glad to see ya on here! kyray

vvarmitr

sleddogg: what did ya use to do the puppy whines?  I use an open reed Twister from Dogwood Creek that I make my best puppy whines on, but I like yours better I think. :wo:

sleddogg

vvarmitr - The pup call was made by a Cronk open reed. I think Rich called it a "White Lightening", but maybe Rich can help us out, as I've had it awhile, and kind of forgotten its name :shck:

Rich makes some great howlers, and my howls were on a mini Eastern size howler Rich built for mr a few years back. Good pup sounds on this howler as well. Compact, but still lots of good volume.......good reed protector too.

THO makes a great acrylic open reed I like a bunch and its very versital. Nice jackrabbit sounds, pups, and makes up into a little howler in a pinch. Plus its got a retractable reed to keep it from damage, which is a good touch. I'm not known for babying my gear.

I also love the Verminator "Tweety", and of course the Critr Call Standard and "PEE WEE".  :eyebrownod:

kyray.....good to hear from you! Hope you are doing well :highclap: