• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

re-wax?

Started by awh, September 11, 2007, 10:59:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

awh

Last night I opened the trap box up to make sure none of the kids had been messing. I noticed a slight skunk sent once the lid came off.
I bought several traps used from a guy here at work and had forgot that one smelled of skunk when I got them. So now after waxing them they all smell like skunk. Do I need to re-wax them?
My views and opinions are based upon being banned from a place that has no morals or the common sense God gave to a pecker gnat. I also hate frogs and will reply to such at any given chance. Thank You.

RShaw

I would not rewax. Just let them hang and air out for a while.
Most traps that are dug-up, when the digging was actually done by a coyote, is because the trap moved when the coyote stepped on the side. Proper bedding with a slightly skunky smelling trap should not be a problem. A lot of the lures you will be using have a lot of skunk smell to them anyways.

Randy

I place as much value on learning what not to do as I do in knowing what to do.

studabaka

"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

Drifter

rewaxing won't get rid of the smell . My guess would be if they still smell of skunk would be your wax smells like that now as well . If want rid of that smell I would advise to strip the wax off and leave em hang so the sun can cook it out as skunk smell will impregnate the steel . Then get new wax to dip them in .

I would give them a try first like was said above most dig outs are caused from a loosely beded trap .

Drifter