• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

What type of bow does everyone shoot?

Started by wv_yoter, September 18, 2007, 05:35:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohiobob

Howatt Hunter is 65# my 18 Year Old Son is hunting with it now
Assenheimer is 65# and on my Bow Rack
Kohanna Flat Bow is 60# and my 15 Year Old Son is using it
So the only Bow I have in my Possession is the Assenheimer, and since it is 1 of only 3 Bows of this type that Don Assenheimer made, it WILL Stay in my Possession  :laf: well Maybe, I said that about the other 2 Bows
What surprised me was that I was always told that the Howatt Hunter is one of the Fastest Production Recurves on the Market, so I Chronographed all 3 and the Howatt Hunter SMOKED the other 2 Bows by about 60-70 FPS  :shck:
But it didn't matter to me, I have taken Bucks with all 3 and they were all Fast enough to Kill Deer at 30 Yards.
I also shoot "Indian Style" with the 3 Fingers under and I shoot the Maxi-Fletch (Bananna) Vanes because I shoot the BIG Rothaar Snuffer Broadhead, I have had these  Fixed Blade Broadheads (3 Blades) for about 18 years now, I bought up a bunch before Roger Rothaar Sold out to Delta Archery, I Think Delta Archery Bought his Snuffer Line
These are the EASIEST Broadheads to Sharpen, and they WILL turn a Marginal Wounding Shot into a Kill shot, and it isn't me with the "Marginal" Hit either  :laf: I limit my shots to 30 Yds or less.
Bob
You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone!!!

Bushmaster Predator .223,,4x14 Burris

Parke-Hale .22-.250 6x24 Tasco

Red Fag is a "Ruling Queen" Then ???

iahntr

Wow, that surprises me that the Howatt is that much faster.
I've been mainly using my compound the last several years, but I also have
an older Ben Pearson, and two custom long bows that my brother made.
I've shot the snuffers too, and Magnus, Zwickey, and the old Bear broadheads.
You ever crest your arrows or anything? I used to mess with that too.
Some cresting, some feather splicing, footed shafts etc.
We'll hafta post some pics sometime.
Scott

ohiobob

I do ALL the work on my Arrows, it took me about 10 Dozen Arrows before I finally settled on a Color Scheme, I settled on White Dip, Red & Black Stripes and the Red Cap right under my Nock, and 2 White Feathers and a Red Barred Feather for the Cock Feather
I went through Blue, Red, Yellow, orange, Black and Green Feathers, I didn't like ANY of the Combo's until the Above Colors that I settled on, it was getting Nerve Racking making all these Arrows and then using them for Practice Arrows  :madd:
But that was back when Port Orford Cedar Shafts were Cheap! I sure as heck wouldn't do that these days
I thought I had some Pics of them in Photobucket, But I didn't, I will try to get some here soon
Bob
You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone!!!

Bushmaster Predator .223,,4x14 Burris

Parke-Hale .22-.250 6x24 Tasco

Red Fag is a "Ruling Queen" Then ???

northern coyote

I gotta go with Stoney, as I shoot a bowtech, just mines an old stalker set at 58# shoots straight, but I'm thinking of upgrading to an airborne or maybe a constitution
I'm learnin' and I've got nothin' but time

Kuipdog

I shoot an AR-34, Archery Research is now just part of PSE. I really like my bow, its fast and powerful

erickrschaefer

I shoot a Wapiti custom take down it draws 68#.  I shoot laminated birch shafts out of it with Wensal Woodsman or Snuffers. A real nice smooth quiet shooting setup.

MDM

im shooting a ol BEAR . i think its a early 90's model but its still got the moves

snowcamoman

I'm shooting a Black Widow PMII Takedown Recurve.

nastygunz

LORDDAL

pse elite  and a ben pearson cougar recurve
there's something you better understand about me, 'cause it's important and one day your life may depend on it. I am definitely a madman with a box!

Proud member of Bills Custom Calls Pro Staff

msmith

Browning Mirage, but may upgrade this year to a Bow Tech.

Mike
Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori

alscalls

A whitetail legend and a Shakespear recurve 60# pull..........I know I know OLD SCHOOL But they have killed more deer than I can remember. :eyebrownod:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

misfire

I currently have a PSE F4 that I have had for many years. Set at 64 pounds and will sling a carbon arrow 247fps
#1700 God's Speed my brother

MDM

Bear Bearhunter Compound and a Horton Yukon Crossbow

waynec308

I shoot a High County Power Force X1. Bought it last year and have not hunted with it yet. I do like shooting it though.

Stu...I'm a lefty and had always shot right handed...my brother and another friend told me I really should be shooting lefty. I took a chance and bought a left hand bow and was suprised at how much more natural that felt. I'd say if you know someone near ya who shoots lefty see if you can try their bow...
Love to hunt...it's my R & R...even if all I get is a walk in the woods.

Climb Paws staff member

BlueDuck

I shoot a  #60 Hickory/Cherry Long Bow.   I started with a long bow more than 50 years ago and went to recurves for twenty yrears or so, then to compound bows for nearly as long.  Now Im back to the long bow.  Works for me.

LBLDOG

I was shooting a PSE THUNDERBOLT and sold it and bought a FRED BEAR DONE DEAL and absolutely love it!!!!!!!

johnoh

Martin Firecat When I bought it  it was one of the few choices to be had in a left hand bow. I am very pleased with it, it shoots much better than I do.

LBLDOG

I'm shooting a Fred  Bear Done Deal with Beaman carbon arrows