• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

My 9 year old Son scores!!

Started by FOsteology, January 21, 2008, 08:55:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FOsteology

Up until Saturday, this season had been one of disappointment and frustration for my youngest son as the buck he had been dreaming of and constantly talking about kept giving us the slip or was always just out of range.

October while scouting on a Ranch a friend of mine manages, we came across a mature heavy 8pt buck while glassing. My son was quite excited and enamored with the coloration and mass this buck sported. He was quite adamant that he wanted to hunt this particular buck, and make the kill on his own in the open.

November we were unable to devote much time hunting for this buck as both my boys lucked out this year by drawing two separate public land youth hunts at the Kerr WMA. My youngest son managed to score a doe on the first weekend..... but his luck abandoned him thereafter....

December found us back on my friends Ranch pursuing my young son's targeted buck. Took us a couple days to find him, and for  the next couple weeks found us trying to get my son in position to take this buck.

Weather played a factor a couple mornings as the fog was thick enough to obscure the buck in my son's scope. He managed to give us the slip a few times, out of range on most occasions.... and unable to get closer as there was nothing but open field between us and the buck.

Finally, after much frustration and fear that he would not get a shot on this buck this season (season ended Sunday), everything fell into place. The buck made an earlier than usual appearance on his route that leads to a food plot.

NEF Youth Handi-Rifle .22 Hornet loaded with 45gr. Nosler Solid Base. Range 96 yards broadside. Shot behind the shoulder. Buck ran less than 60 yards and piled up.

Biggest buck to date either of my boys have tagged. We gross scored him at 133 1/4

WhiteHare

Way to go " Young Son".  You truly got youself a trophy.
Nice job Dad.
WhiteHare Lanyards
Richard Hughes

www.white-hare.com
whitehare@white-hare.com

wv_yoter

Jason

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

iahntr

:highclap: :highclap: Congratulations to the young one.  :highclap: :highclap:
That looks more like one of our bucks, then a spindly Texas buck.   :eyebrow:  :laf:
Scott

keekee

Very COOL! Tell him Congrads from me! Thats awesome! :yoyo:

Brent

Bills Custom Calls

:yoyo: Thats cool!!! Great job to both of you  :yoyo: :congrats:
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

Nelson

A very nice buck!!  Congratulations!!   :yoyo: :yoyo:

Nelson

HaMeR

That is sooo cool!! Congratulations to the fine young man in the picture & to you as well!!  :thumb2:

Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

HuntnCarve

What a beauty of a buck!  Way to go!  I know dad is proud..  The young man's persistence paid off in the end.  Congrats to father and son both!
Dave

vvarmitr

Holy Mackerel!  :shck:  And nail 'im w/ a 22Hornet.  Boy sure knows his shot placement!  ;yes;
That is just awesome! :highclap:

Frogman

Wow!  Look at the grin on that boy.  Is he happy, or what?
Great story.

Jim

You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

FOsteology

Picked up my son from school a little while ago and he's still excited about his deer. Showed all his classmates pictures.

We might be hard pressed to top this buck for the next few seasons.... but we'll have fun trying!

canine

Congrats to the both of you :yoyo:

That is one fine Buck! Great to see kids succeed like this!

Way to go dad!

JD

Rifle 223

Dale in OK