• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Alaskan Moose

Started by coyote101, March 18, 2008, 08:24:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote101

I am fortunate to have a good friend that was stationed in Alaska who invited me to come and hunt moose. I shot this young bull at first light of opening morning in 1997.  He was standing broadside at about 125 yards and I hit him with a 300 grain Winchester Silvertip out of my .375 H&H. He ran about 50 yards and stood for a few seconds then went down.  Then the work began!  He wasn't big, as moose go, but all moose are big.  The antler spread was only 30 inches and he wouldn't have been legal in many areas, but I was hunting an area that allowed any bull. 

This is the only picture I got of the moose.  Not very well set up and it doesn't really do a good job of showing how big a moose is.

Got the picture of this cow beside the road between Fairbanks and Anchorage.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

DirtyDog

Awsome.....I hope that one day I'll make it up to Alaska to do some hunting.  :congrats:

Hawks Feather

That would be a great hunt.  I have seen a few moose in the wild, but never hunted them.  Looks great.

Jerry

FinsnFur

hey!...is that the one from the video  :shck: :sad:

Oh nevermind  :doh2: the other one had a white spot under his chin :laf:

I've never seen the antlers that color before, that is cool. Thanks for bringing that in.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

coyote101

QuoteI've never seen the antlers that color before,

Jim, the velvet was still peeling off his antlers when I shot him.  The antlers are pretty much blood covered in the photo.
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

FinsnFur

I guessed thats what was happening. Nice picture of the process. :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

coyote101

The guy that I went with in 1997 retired and stayed in Alaska.  Here's a picture of him and a moose he shot a couple of years ago.  Its 68 inches tip to tip on those antlers. A bit more of a trophy than mine, but I wouldn't take anything for the experience.

Pat
NRA Life Member

Hawks Feather

With all the deer hit on the roads around here I am GLAD we don't have moose like either of those.   :shck:

Jerry