• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Deer hunting in NM

Started by hemmingway, March 25, 2008, 06:55:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemmingway

I've hunted off and on for all of my life, but I've never actually hunted for deer. I've been with people but never hunted my self. I need some advice. First, what kinda gun would you all recommend? Keep in mind I ain't rich... Second what kinda tips do you have for a first time deer hunt?

FinsnFur

Does New Mexico even have deer?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

yucca

Have you got a place in mind that you want to hunt in NM? Private land? The application for the draw system  is due by the 9th of April.  

hemmingway

Yeah I was just looking at the draw deadline and thought i should try to get some info before I apply...

yucca

Spot and stalk is my perferred method. I use a 280 rem. You could go with anything from 243 to the 300 class calibers and be OK with the mulies. Do you live here in NM?

hemmingway

Yeah I live down south outside of Las Cruces...  I just put in for units 17, 13, and 21, in that order.  Sounds like they are pretty good areas, with 17 being a quality hunt...
Also, I think that I've kinda settled on a .308 or .300 mag :wo: leaning more toward the .308.

yucca

The 308 will do fine. I just got my antelope, elk and deer application done. Good luck.

pitw

For a first time deer hunt the best advice I can give you is to find the area you are going to hunt.  If it's on private property get all your permission and other landowner questions in place before season.  Then scout the ground you are going to hunt so you don't have to waste valuable hunting time finding places to set up.  The gun to pick for hunting deer should be based on a number of questions and answers.  Do you want to use the gun for other hunting?  If yes what kind of other game do you want to hunt.  The 243 is very adequate for deer and is a fine coyote and other predators choice.  If you are wanting to hunt bear, moose and elk then the bigger 308 would be the choice.  What kind of terrain do you plan to hunt mostly as some calibers are better in open country[long shots] than others where as if you are in heavy cover a heavy slow moving caliber is better. Personally I like the 243 and shoot everything from gophers to moose with it.
I say what I think not think what I say.