• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

I would like to hear good and bad on?

Started by LBLDOG, November 22, 2008, 10:21:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LBLDOG

I shoot a PSE THUNDERBOLT and I have had this bow for 5 years. I bought this bow for $150.00 used and it is my first bow. Im wanting to  get a 09 sometime next year and Im wanting to get a FRED BEAR TRUTH2  and was wondering if anybody shoots one and how they like it.  I hear some good reviews, but when I look on archery sights and they take a poll on what bow for 09 do you guys want? There is every bow on the planet on the survey but TRUTH2? MATHEWS,HOYT,PSE,BOWTECH,AND SO ON ............

DirtyDog

It is my experiance that you do not need to spend a ton of money on a bow. One bow may be faster, or quieter, or whatever, but the $200 bow will kill a deer or whatever just the same as any other bow. Yeah that $700-$800 bow may be nice, but the end result is the same. I am currently using a 1997 Matthews LX that was given to me. I have killed 2 deer and a turkey with it since I got it last year. Sometimes more expensive isn't always better..........

KySongDog

I agree with DD.  If you can hit with the bow you got there is no real need to get a more expensive one.  Of course that logic does NOT apply to guns.  One can't have to many guns, me thinks.   :biggrin:

I shoot a Martin bow that's got to be 15 or more years old.  It still pulls 74 pounds peak and, occasionally, I can hit something with it.  So I never felt the need to "upgrade".  Of course, YMMV.

Good hunting!

weedwalker

My PSE Thunderbolt blew up on me last year at full draw. The upper limb blew apart at the point of the top pulley and parts went flying everywhere. :shck:
So I've gone back to shooting my 20 year old Bear Grizzly bow for now. It will still kill a deer.

iahntr

There usually is your top few brands that get most the attention, a lot of it for a reason,
but brand isn't everything. A properly tuned bow and it's components are way more important
then brand of bow or how much it cost. I'm not familiar first hand with the Truth 2, I know
a couple guys with the Truth, and they are real happy with theirs. In my opinion, I think Bear
makes a nice bow. The next decision, if you set your mind on Bear, is if the Truth2 is worth
the extra roughly $120.00 over the Done Deal, which has very similar specs, 32 1/4 axle to axle, a 1/4"
longer brace height, but a little slower, or if it's worth the roughly $220.00 over the Game Over, which has
the same axle to axle as the Truth 2, over 3/4" more brace height but about 10-13 fps slower????  :biggrin:
My advice is always to shoot as many bows as you can get your hands on. Mathews is one of the top brands out
there, but I know guys that hate the grips on them and won't shoot one. It still comes down to personal preference
and how they feel to you.
Scott

Scott

Roundman

OK, I don't want jack this thread but in my opinion buy the best you can afford. I can't give you any info on the Bear Truth, but I can tell ya that there is a difference in the bow companies out there. I've owned a Bear, Golden Eagle, and a Mathews and if you were to shoot all of them I promise you could tell the difference.

The Bear was slow, loud, and heavy. My big butt could almost outrun the arrow in the 40yard dash.  :biggrin:
The Golden Eagle was fast, loud, and heavy.
The Mathews is fast, smooth, quiet, and weighs a little less than the others.

Now all three killed deer for me, but I feel way better with the Switchback in my hands. I'm not pushing any one brand because I know this could turn into a Ford vs. Chevy thing.

Quote from: DirtyDog on November 22, 2008, 12:34:22 PM
It is my experience that you do not need to spend a ton of money on a bow. One bow may be faster, or quieter, or whatever, but the $200 bow will kill a deer or whatever just the same as any other bow. Yeah that $700-$800 bow may be nice, but the end result is the same. I am currently using a 1997 Matthews LX that was given to me. I have killed 2 deer and a turkey with it since I got it last year. Sometimes more expensive isn't always better..........
Joe
On this one I have to disagree with ya. Most bows that are less expensive will not perform like some of the more pricey ones. It's like saying a Corvette and Chevette are the same thing.  :biggrin: The advances in bows and bow accessories have been huge over the last 15 years.  Heck on the old Bear if you would shoot over one hundred times the sight pins would vibrate loose and then I was starting back at square one.

I think it all boils down to confidence! Can I kill that animal at that range with this setup?

Just my 2cents

DirtyDog

Not gonna disagree with ya Mike, but a Chevette and Corvette will both get ya to the final destination, but the journey may be a tad bit different.