• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Rolling yer own

Started by Jimmie in Ky, March 01, 2009, 07:07:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmie in Ky

I am learning all this slowly Al. I find the various tempering methods very uinteresting. As for getting cold rolled , well maybe. But I am a pack rat and scrounger by nature. If it's worn out I can always find another use for it somewhere.

The chainsaw chain damascus really intreagues me. But I haven't found a how to on it yet , but am still looking. Thats why the forge. I have found thatI can make my own with materials I have on hand except for black pipe for the tureir. I may be able to come up with something for that from the scrap pile. Only My wife throws anything away around here  :biggrin:Jimmie

cathryn

Quote from: pitw on March 01, 2009, 08:09:33 PM
Here I thought I could finally help someone on the forum and I find you talking about archery.  No help from me here. :doh2:

damn, we got somethin in c0mmon, lol, i opened this thread thinkin somethin WAY different.   :roflmao:

Jimmie in Ky

Shame on you Cathryn, aint ya ever heard of prince albert in a can ?  :biggrin:

Al I think I found a piece of cold roled steel for the scraper. As I said I don't throw anything away. I found a hoe blade in my scrap pile, One of those that are welded on. It should already be soft enough for a scraper and if it isn't It ewill get thrown in the stove a while.

Two staves are rough shaped down to two sapwood rings and about an inch and a half of heart wood. Jimmie

alscalls

AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Jimmie in Ky

One had some sideways arc to it and I clamped it to some straight stock to hold it straight for a few weeks before I work it more. The other got worked some today.I left the two knots a bit thick and tried to get the back down to one ring before light went on me. It is starting to show some twist in one end. Because of the natural reflex of the stave I wonder how I should go about straightening it before it cures to much. Jimmie

alscalls

Quote from: Jimmie in Ky on March 15, 2009, 08:15:11 PM
One had some sideways arc to it and I clamped it to some straight stock to hold it straight for a few weeks before I work it more. The other got worked some today.I left the two knots a bit thick and tried to get the back down to one ring before light went on me. It is starting to show some twist in one end. Because of the natural reflex of the stave I wonder how I should go about straightening it before it cures to much. Jimmie

Steam or heat is the only way I know Jimmie but it sounds like youre in trouble with this one......I been there.
Thats why I try and leave the outside ring when I can......It will hold the shape best. :wink:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Jimmie in Ky

I probably should have started with ash or hickory instead of this mulberry. I can see that woods that have to be taken down to heartwood rings are going to add to the learning curve a great deal. Jimmie