• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Our St. Patty's Day fun...kissing the ice flow

Started by Coulter, March 17, 2009, 08:09:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coulter

I have been wanting to do this for years and ideal conditions finally arrived today. My daughter and me packed up the kayaks and went searching for penguins.

If you look close you can see the spit of land in the far background...that is Gull Point and the beginning of Lake Erie. Just to the right of that is the ice flow we paddled out to. It is hard to tell in the picture, it kind of blends in with the horizon.

Getting closer...

This was our first trip to start the season off. We are planning to take a trip on the Upper Allegheny River and camp out a couple nights too.

This is my younger daughter...

And yours truly...

And all of the little black specks you see scattered among the ice flow are migrating ducks of various species. This was a relatively short trip, we only paddled for about an hour and a half. But what a way to kick off the paddling season :yoyo:

We never did find any penguins, but it was great trip out to Lake Erie for sure.

Steve

FinsnFur

That is so cool.  :yoyo:
And boy does it look Erie out there. Pun fully intended. :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HaMeR

Cool pics. Looks like you really enjoyed being out there.  :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

iahntr

That is very cool. Although I think I'd want the water
to be a little warmer, cause I'd probably end up in it.  :eyebrownod:
I think it'd be cool even to take those down some of the rivers around here.
Thanks for sharin em with us.
Scott
Scott

pitw

I say what I think not think what I say.

Hawks Feather

I think I can see some of the Sandusky ice fishermen floating on that ice.   :biggrin:    Great pictures and looks like fun.

Jerry

Coulter

Jerry... :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:I assure you there was nothing more than gulls, ducks and geese. Here are a couple more pics....lots of ducks scattered anywhere there was open water among the ice pack. There were some hugely immense flocks that took off, but I had my camera tucked away at the time...easily thousands upon thousands of birds.

My wife thought this picture was exceptionally eerie...and desolate.

Uh-oh we better start heading back...

Silencer

Sweet pictures  :yoyo:  you must be in pretty good shape

Coulter

Yeah the shape like I swallowed a bowling ball :iroll: I need to start a more consistent exercise program and back off the pizza, wings and beer for a while. I'll be in good shape before the start of next season :wink: Come on up and paddle sometime...you'd love it!

Steve

Silencer

LOL  :laf: :laf:

Not to change your topic but this where you're headed over the weekend ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cie3a1xQWcI&feature=channel_page

Looks like a good time !!

Hidehunter

Denver                                           

Coulter

QuoteNot to change your topic but this where you're headed over the weekend ?

Yep, so much for laying off the chicken wings and beer :doh2:

It is a lot of fun HH...Vic is right though, it is a heck of workout too. Not just the arms, but the entire body :dance:

LORDDAL

man that looks like fun sure wish I had a boat like that but it would take a pretty big ole boat to haul this feller around love the pics and as always great story man

there's something you better understand about me, 'cause it's important and one day your life may depend on it. I am definitely a madman with a box!

Proud member of Bills Custom Calls Pro Staff

alscalls

WOW.......I do not know how I missed this but ...thank for sharing.
Makes me want to go Steelhead fishing...... :yoyo: :yoyo:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Hidehunter

Quote from: Coulter on March 19, 2009, 02:21:35 PM
Yep, so much for laying off the chicken wings and beer :doh2:

It is a lot of fun HH...Vic is right though, it is a heck of workout too. Not just the arms, but the entire body :dance:

I dont doubt it a bit...I have Kayaked our WV rivers a few times and it will wear you out in a hurry.
Denver                                           

Coulter

Steelhead fishing...Man I haven't done that in a while. Come on up you would fit right in with the crowd. I'd say 90% of the guys fishing our streams are from out of town. Thats one of the reasons I quit fishing for them...unless I need some raccoon bait that is :eyebrow:

Charlie...they make some pretty big kayaks. The one I have fits me like a glove. There ain't much wiggle room, but you have more control over the boat that way. I'm sure you could find one to fit ya :wo:

My goal for the year is to perfect an Eskimo roll effectively and efficiently and also to paddle the entire PA shoreline of Lake Erie from Ohio to New York. That will have to be later in the summer after I've paddled for a while and my body is a little better conditioned for it :eyebrownod:

Steve

Silencer

bring a vid camera with ya like survival man...  :eyebrownod: :biggrin:

Coulter

msmith

Great pics! Very beautiful there. Nevery yakked before, but have done some conoe trips. Anything you paddle gives ya a workout.
Mike

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI