• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Who uses a Crossbow?

Started by KySongDog, September 05, 2009, 06:27:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDMiller

Quote from: Hawks Feather on September 07, 2009, 10:09:58 AM
I have the cocking string and it not only makes it easier to cock, but also allows you to keep the string straight.  From what I have heard, you can pull the string off center which will cause erratic flight.  I have not had the problem and haven't even tried to do it, so it could be an old wife's tale.  I put a couple of marks on the string when it was not cocked (used a magic marker) and then use the cocker and keep the lines along both sides of the rail.  It is fun.

X2 on the rope cocking aid.

Just like regular bows where you strive for consistent anchor.....the use of a rope cocker allows you to position the string at the same place every time. I also have marked the string on each side of the rail with a marker for quick identification. The rope device usualy has pulleys which serve two purposes.... to align the string properly and reduce the felt draw weight by 50%.

This is a simple $25 device that will allow you to maintain good accuracy. I ususally just roll mine up and carry it in my jacket pocket....not a big deal to carry.

I bowhunt & crossbow hunt.... love using both . I've bowhunted for about 30 years and there was a spell of about three years I only crossbow hunted due to an injury. Last season was the first in awhile that I got back to using my compound bow again but as long as theres a crossbow season.... I'll use one when I can. I enjoy hunting with one very much... just takes a little while to get use to.

Heres a few pics of critters I've harvested with a 150# Parker Terminator..... again plenty of punch for just about any critter you may hunt. Every single one of these were pass throughs.

HuntnCarve

Yep!  you always have to make sure you know where your fingers and thumb are when shooting a crossbow.
Jerry,  It is a fact that if the string is cocked off center the bolt will fly off course.  We're only talking about a couple of inches, but it still could be enough to throw the shot.  Excalibur has a short video where the owners wife shows the results of cocking the crossbow off center.  She made marks on the string like you did.  Then shoots the crossbow with the string centered, and off center.  It shows the difference.
I can cock my 200Lb Exocet without the string aid.  Have done it to shoot multiple deer.  I just make sure I pull straight back on the string.  With the cocking aid, it's very,very consistent.

Aboves a triple I got one afternoon two years back hunting on a area where they want the does removed.

JDMiller, a couple of my friend have Parkers and they love them.  Bottom line is they all do the job!  Taking up crossbow hunting got me back out into the woods in the Autumn.  I had given up bowhunting several years back, mainly due to the fact that I could not practice as much as I would have liked.  I did not feel confident enough with my bow shooting, and did not want to wound an animal.  The first year I was out with the crossbow, I came to realize how much I had missed being in the woods that time of year.

Dave

HuntnCarve

Went out this morning and set up the "Block Target" on a stump.  Laser ranged 40 yards, and took two shots off a shooting stick with the Excalibur Exocet.  Didn't dare attemp another, shot carbon bolts costing what they do!   

Silencer

I never realized they were that accurate, thanks for showing us.   For years I was one of them
anti-crossbow guys till I realized it doesnt matter what you use, its all about the hunt and still being able to hunt.   I think that came with age, not sure. 

HaMeR

Mine will do that out to 30yds as well. These things are,, as said before,, scary accurate.

In regards to the cocking rope & being able to cock the bow straight I'll get some pics of the one I use & show how easy it is to keep things straight. Not sure if it will be today or tomorrow tho.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

vvarmitr

Quote from: HuntnCarve on September 08, 2009, 12:13:05 PM

:readthis: Please note Semp that there are other dots on the block. Never aim at the same spot twice unless you get your bolts for free. :nofgr: (Which wouldn't surprise me if Dave does. :rolleye:)  I've been told too that it's just as cheap to buy new bolts as it is to refletch them.  :madd:

I go w/ the carbon bolts as they are heavier. Ya might say they have a higher Ballistic Coefficient.  :eyebrow:

HaMeR

I checked prices on the cocking devices at the bow shop this evening. They were between $30 & $80. Depended on the bow make & if you wanted to pull the string back like mine or buy one of the hand crank styles. Here's a video on mine & how I do it. I kinda doinked it up some but hey,,, it's HaMeR right??  :laf:

My Horton HAS TO BE on Fire when it is cocked. You can hear a very audible click when the string is engaged & the bow shifts over to the Safe position. The only thing I don't like about this device,, & it's a minor detail after 5 years,, is the string always hits the range dial knob on one side or the other & turns it. Once the bow is cocked I need to double check my setting is all.

HTH

Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

KySongDog

thanks for that video, HaMeR.   That helped me understand what you guys were talking about on getting the string even while cocking.   :yoyo:

HaMeR

Cool. Now go get your bow & get it ready. Deer season is just around the corner Semp.  :biggrin:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Silvertip

Hi Semp,

I had to go to a crossbow a couple of years ago for two reasons, not enough time to practice and I just couldn't handle my 70# Hoyt anymore, must be getting old or something. I went with the Excalibur Vortex model, 200# draw weight so that it would be legal to use in Ohio. I use the rope cocking aid (be careful when using in a tree stand), Excalibur carbon bolts, Wasp Boss Broadheads (recommended by Excalibur), Flemish string, and the Excalibur illuminated Scope sight. I love this outfit. I can hit an orange sized target at 50yds. all day long. The bolts chronograph at 232 fps average with only +/- 3fps, if I do my part. This is also the quietest crossbow that I have encountered. One problem that I had was the Illuminated Scope would not mount in the Excalibur rings and give proper eye-relief and binding of the power ring, until I modified the sight base, needed to file off the last two lugs or the rear of the base, they may have corrected this by now.

Good hunting!   :yoyo:
aka: Grizz - East Tennessee

KySongDog

Orange sized targets at 50 yards got my attention.  Wow!  Thanks for that setup info, Silvertip.    :yoyo:

Hope to see ya at the LBL next February.

Silvertip

Quote from: Silvertip on September 09, 2009, 11:57:48 PM
Hi Semp,

I had to go to a crossbow a couple of years ago for two reasons, not enough time to practice and I just couldn't handle my 70# Hoyt anymore, must be getting old or something. I went with the Excalibur Vortex model, 200# draw weight so that it would be legal to use in Ohio. I use the rope cocking aid (be careful when using in a tree stand), Excalibur carbon bolts, Wasp Boss Broadheads (recommended by Excalibur), Flemish string, and the Excalibur illuminated Scope sight. I love this outfit. I can hit an orange sized target at 50yds. all day long. The bolts chronograph at 232 fps average with only +/- 3fps, if I do my part. This is also the quietest crossbow that I have encountered. One problem that I had was the Illuminated Scope would not mount in the Excalibur rings and give proper eye-relief and binding of the power ring, until I modified the sight base, needed to file off the last two lugs or the rear of the base, they may have corrected this by now.

Good hunting!   :yoyo:
I need typing lessons!  The bolt velocity is 332, not 232!
I'm hoping to make it this year,if I can afford it, I've only worked 2 weeks this year.
aka: Grizz - East Tennessee

vvarmitr

Hey you ol'Grizz, good to see you! :biggrin:

Sorry you had to work two weeks this year. :sad:

HaMeR

It's been about 3 weeks Semp. You got a new crossbow setting there you don't want us to know about??  :eyebrow:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

KySongDog

Nope, not yet.  Still looking.  I can buy a gun for what they want for one of these crossbows.   :doh2:    My brother in law passed away this year and he had one.   I asked my sister to look around and see if they still have it.   

HaMeR

OK. Just wondering if you made a final decision yet.  :biggrin:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

KySongDog

My sister found my BIL's old crossbow, a Barnett RC-300.   I remember when he bought it and that was several years ago.  Its like new except for a little dust and light rust from just sitting around.  He never did hunt with it.  He got to where he couldn't move around much.  So it just sat in his garage.  

I went to Barnett's website and they had no info on it.   I guess it got replaced with a newer model some time back.  I put some bow wax on the rail and shot it a couple of times.  Its got a peep site and a couple of pins.  I hit what I was aiming at so that was a big plus.  It is loud but really fast so I think if the deer is in reasonable distance it wouldn't have time to jump the string.  I told her I'd try it out for a while and see if I liked it.

Anybody know anything about this model?

alscalls

I remember those old Barnett quivers well Semp, This could be a lot of that noise you heard as those things were noisy all of the time and the screws would often come loose.
If it concerns you ....Look into a different quiver and see if that quiets it down some. :wink:
Looks like it will get the job done...... :yoyo: :yoyo:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

HaMeR

I always remove the quiver when I get on stand. It's just extra weight to hold up & can bump into things when manuevering for a shot. JMHO

In all seriousness I would recommend taking the bow to a dealer & have him check the strings & cables as well as the limbs for any cracks. I see it has the crank cocking device too. That will come in handy as well. Be sure to check the bolts that hold the bow on in the front too.

AND most of all,,,, Happy Hunting & I can't wait to see the pics!!!  :biggrin:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11