• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Walking in to your stand

Started by snafu, May 29, 2014, 01:06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KySongDog

Before someone calls me out on it, Baughman's paraphrase was about fishing and not hunting.  I changed it.   

OK.  Back to regular scheduled programming..............

HaMeR

Here in East central Ohio the winds are constantly changing unless you want to hunt when they are 15MPH+. I just stay put til I'm ready to move onto the next stand. Otherwise my sets could only be about 90 seconds long. Gonna try calling from tree stands this year when all the leaves are off.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

snafu

I share this info. To assist anyone in understanding about coyotes. On how they react to wind, terrain features & ground cover. From a slight puff of wind to high winds. Like you, I have also hunted in changing winds. Regardless, the coyotes will adjust accordingly to those wind conditions.

The terrain I hunt mostly(open rolling hills). Offers me views of the coyotes at various angles. My observations are not (theory), but what I have seen/observed over the last 50yrs.

One hunter one time. Claimed the coyotes I have observed are different than the ones he hunts. As for their behaviors, even though we hunt in the same state. He remarked they are different because his hunt areas have more timber. I thought how ignorant. A coyote is a coyote no matter where. Of course they'll adapt to various conditions. Their a coyote after all.
"Smartest man, knows but a grain of sand. In the desert of truth"

snafu

My latter day hunt yrs. Most often if I seen a bedded coyote early on. I'd pass on it & check back later in the day. Some coyotes because the wind shifted directions during the day. Would stand up in place, turn a little so the wind was at their backside. Then bed back down in the same exact spot.

Other coyotes would move a little ways(mere feet). Then bed back down. While other coyotes would move up to a 1/4 mile or so. From the original bedding spot. Then bed back down.

Point being, they all adapted to a change of wind direction. As they utilized their surroundings(terrain & ground cover). In cutting that wind from upon their face.

Speaking of wind direction. It is not all that uncommon. For a local/territorial coyote to use the same focal area to bed down. When/if the wind is from the "same direction on various days". Some local coyotes are more apt to repeat this behavior more than others. I often counted on this behavior to see the same local coyotes on those days.
"Smartest man, knows but a grain of sand. In the desert of truth"