• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

A tail of two hogs

Started by Dave, August 20, 2010, 09:55:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Short story,

Here's one:

Here's two - this guy was raiding the garden.

END OF STORY

(See Spike's entry below for the details.  It's about 9 posts down).

pitw

Wow them are big :shock2:.  Good shooting for a fact and good looking too.
I say what I think not think what I say.

Hawks Feather

END OF STORY and end of groundhogs too.  Looks like a good time.

Jerry

Roundman

HuntnCarve

Good shootin, Dante!  Glad someone is looking out for their folks garden. :highclap:

FOsteology

I just love a happy ending!  :biggrin:

Good shooting Dante! Rifle, load, and distance? Details young man!

Carolina Coyote

great Big old ATTA Boy.  :yoyo: :yoyo: cc

HaMeR

I love those GOOD hogs!!  :biggrin:  Ya done fine young man. Congratulations on ridding the neighborhood of those garden raiders!!  :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

coyote101

Yea!  :highclap: :highclap: Way to go Dante!  :yoyo: :yoyo:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Spike

Hi, I'm Dante and I'll tell you about these two groundhogs I shot.  I spotted this first one when I was looking at a deer and said to my sister look at that.  Mom asked do you see a groundhog?  I said no, it's only a deer.  And then I looked up and in the bottom right corner of the soybean field I saw him munching on some grass.  Then I said, a ground hog.  My dad said to use the .22 mag because it was far away.  I went out on the porch and got set to shoot.  As I was about to shoot he started to move into some thicker grass where I couldn't see him.  In the first picture my dad posted above, it's as far as you can see over my right shoulder in the clearing between the two tree trunks.  He went to the right into that little brushpile where he has his hole.  My dad told me to get my Savage Cub .22 and see if I could get him.  I went down to the right of where he went in and snuck up along the edge.  I could just see the top of his head because he was sitting in his hole.  I was only about 10 yards away and puled up my gun, got him in the scope and took off the safety and shot him in the head.  It sort of skinned his head.  He turned around and started trying to sort of go down his hole.  So then I got another bullet in my gun and shot him again.  He was snarling but I could only see his tail.  I quickly grabbed his tail and flung him away from his hole.  I was out of ammo so I got a heavy stick and whaled him.  Then I brought it up to the house where dad took that picture.

Now for the second one.  I was helping mom make tomato sauce and looked out the window and saw what looked like a tree stump.  It was a groundhog.  He started moving toward the garden and went into it.  My dad and I snuck down with my .22 to the edge of our asparagus.  Dad said we should run down and get between the edge of the garden and his hole.  We did that and he ran from in the garden towards us and stopped pretty close.  I shot him right there.

coyote101

Great story Dante.  :highclap: :highclap: I especially got a kick out of this:
Quote from: Spike on August 20, 2010, 08:59:09 PM
I was out of ammo so I got a heavy stick and whaled him. 

Keep after 'em.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

KySongDog

Nice shooting, Dante!    :congrats:

I liked the part about "whaling him with a heavy stick".   :yoyo:

FinsnFur

:alscalls: Yeah the heavy stick put it all over the top!

Nice job Bud! Thanks for bringin it in :yoyo:
Oh, I like the long version of your story much better :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

pitw

Now that people was a story :bowingsmilie: :bowingsmilie:.  I'll be grinning all night thinking of being with you on that one :wink:  Thanks :biggrin:
I say what I think not think what I say.

HaMeR

:yoyo:  It's good to have "a heavy stick" handy at times!!  :yoyo:  Regardless of the finishing touches you done good to stalk those hogs & put them down. Fine job & Congratulations to Dad for being so helpful with your setting up on them.  :biggrin:

:confused:  Where was dad when the whaling started & why wasn't he there to have your back??  :shrug:

:alscalls: :alscalls:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Carolina Coyote

Love the story, Now I guess you could call that "Whacking and stacking "  :eyebrownod: cc

Dave

Quote from: HaMeR on August 21, 2010, 06:54:42 AM

:confused:  Where was dad when the whaling started & why wasn't he there to have your back??  :shrug:

:alscalls: :alscalls:

HaMeR,

Dad was there, as dads usually are.

In fact:

"All kids pulling hogs out of their holes by the tail don't get bit.   Everyone has an angel looking out for him.  That kid has a Golden haired angel salt and pepper haired angel looking after him."

Dad also has a real big stick as back up.   :eyebrow:

HaMeR

I'm sure you were there Dave!!  :biggrin:

salt and pepper haired angel<<>>  :laf: :laf:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

HuntnCarve

HaMer, I'd want Dante watching my back anytime.  That young man is fearless!!!  I have a picture around here somewhere of him hauling a big snapping turtle by the tail,  up a muddy creek bank. -Looked like a stalemate...But Dante got the upper hand and dragged that beast up the bank!  Looks like I'm going to have to make him a proper "Whackin Stick" at the rate he's going. :congrats:

Dave

Hawks Feather

Quote from: Spike on August 20, 2010, 08:59:09 PM
I was out of ammo so I got a heavy stick and whaled him.

Dante,

I am proud of you.  Ask Dad if you can take along at least three bullets the next time.

Jerry