• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Skinning a squirrel

Started by KySongDog, May 30, 2007, 10:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KySongDog

With the June squirrel opening next weekend in KY,  I thought I'd cover how to skin a squirrel.   Most of you probably already do it this way, but in case you don't ya might want to give it a try.  It's worked for me for 40 years.

I make a cut around the hind legs up to the anus, cut the tail bone (not the tail!), step on the tail and pull the hind legs to zip him out of his skin. Pull the hind leg skin off and then cut off the paws. Do several squirrels like this before gutting them.  Cuts way down on the hair factor on the meat.

Here's a video by Mr. Squacks that shows how.  The link was posted on that other site.

Semp

awh

Pretty cool. We've always made a small cut in the skin at the top of the back in the center where you can place a couple fingers from each hand in then pull apart. The skin pulls all the way to the rear paws and the front you pop the legs through and cut at the paws and neck. Do rabbits the same way, But I will try this. Thanks for the info Semp
My views and opinions are based upon being banned from a place that has no morals or the common sense God gave to a pecker gnat. I also hate frogs and will reply to such at any given chance. Thank You.

Carolina Coyote

Good info Semp, been a log time since I skinned a squirrel but that's the way to do it for sure. cc

ErictheRed

Pretty slick.  I never skinned one exactly like that.  Looks like he has done that a few times.

I've seen a few people that used the "skinner" method for cutting down on the hair.  They just use a skimmer and skim the hair of the top of that pot of squirrel and dumplings.  the hair floats, the dumplings don't. :eyebrownod:

GC

Been doing it like that for about a hunnert' years.  Easy as pie.  One follow up tip, dip them in water before you begin to really cut down on the hair problem.  A good dip before skinning just about eliminates picking/scraping hair off later.  Here in the Ozark's there is always a creek, spring, pond, or lake around.  That's where I do my proccessing.  I really like those cold clear creeks to dip the squirrel and wash the knife occasionally to keep it clean.  Give them a good dip to matt the hair down, make your tail cut, pull, reverse pull, and they're skinned with zero hair on the meat.  I don't even take the hide all the way off the feet and head.  As soon as I get it clear where it is to be cut off, I use game shears to snip off the feet and head leaving the hide attached.  Just faster that way.  Next I gut the squirrel and give them a swish in the creek to clean out the cavity of blood and stuff.  Toss the offal in the creek for the crawdads.  That leaves no stinking mess on the bank.  I use the game shears to cut the squirrel into five pieces, four legs and the back.  Drop that in a plastic bag on ice in a cooler and you're done.  No mess at home to deal with.  I bring them in at home and give them a good washing once over in cold water, then a soak with some salt to draw out the blood, rinse and freeze.  Took me longer to type this than it takes to skin and process one.  I love hunting those bushytails!  Missouri's season opens the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend and runs until Feb. 15th. with a six per day limit.         
"Doing the right thing isn't always easy, but it's always RIGHT!"

cb223

Alright you guys gotta tell me where to find that video! All I get is a white screen. I tried everything I know, which ain't much!!   
Maybe a site name and what to search for.
CHAD

CCP

Never cleaned them like that. Looks like he still has to pull the hide off the hind legs and it would be harder than the front.

We always cleaned them like AWH said seems easier than what that guy was a doin.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

KySongDog

Quote from: CCP on June 02, 2007, 08:02:53 AM
  Never cleaned them like that. Looks like he still has to pull the hide off the hind legs and it would be harder than the front.

We always cleaned them like AWH said seems easier than what that guy was a doin.

It's really very easy to do.  I can't explain stuff too well which is why I put the video link there to show how its done.  Anyways, which ever way works best for you is the 'right" way.   :biggrin:  Just be sure to take a kid with you hunting.  Squirrel hunting is a great way to get them started.   :yoyo:

CCP

QuoteIt's really very easy to do.

Alright Semp you talked me into trying it. I do tend to like the easy way of doing things :biggrin: Our season ain't in until next fall and I will give it a whirl.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

GC

I grew up being pulled all over the place by my dad and grandpa after a morning squirrel hunting.  Those old fox squirrels are tough skinned and I'd hold on one end like a terrior while one of my elders would pull the other end.  I hated the cleaning process like a trip to the dentist.  It took forever and then the squirrels ended up with hair on them and we'd wash and pick, then scrape hair off until my 8 year old arms went numb.  

I'm telling ya, this is the best thing I've been turned on to since discovering girls have boobs!  Well... almost.  :eyebrownod:  

CCP

QuoteI'm telling ya, this is the best thing I've been turned on to since discovering girls have boobs!  Well... almost

If Semp would have put it that way I never would have questioned the technique and would have went full steam ahead. :biggrin:
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

Bopeye

Quote from: CCP on June 02, 2007, 05:03:07 PM
QuoteI'm telling ya, this is the best thing I've been turned on to since discovering girls have boobs!  Well... almost

If Semp would have put it that way I never would have questioned the technique and would have went full steam ahead. :biggrin:

Yeah right............. :iroll:

I do have to try that........my son and I were setting here watching the video......he let out with a little giggle and said, "That's kewl"......... :doh2: guess I have to try it now. Thanks Semp.
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

awh

GC...That brought back a memory of last Fall. Cam was out of school for some reason  :confused:, had his cousin who is a couple years older than him stay the night. I come home from work the next day and there are a couple rabbits in the fridge soaking in salt water. I asked the wife what was going on. Come to find out the two turds took the pellet rifles and walked the orchard looking for targets.....they actually got the rabbits and when they got home was going to leave them for dear ol dad to clean. So the wife told them they were in trouble and better get them cleaned before I got home. Well Cam had watched me and thought he knew how the process went down. They did a pretty good job, they were gutted, no fingers lost... LOL But they didn't like the fact that I made them take them back out to get all the hair off of them. They were mumbling about their arms hurting too. :roflmao:
My views and opinions are based upon being banned from a place that has no morals or the common sense God gave to a pecker gnat. I also hate frogs and will reply to such at any given chance. Thank You.

GC

Kids, cottontails, and squirrels... a recipe for a good time!  Good for you and the boys for them thinking of going hunting instead of laying around playing video games or watching some MTV reality crap.  So many of todays kids would've wanted to go to the mall or skatepark.  Sounds like you are doing things right!  :bowingsmilie:

newbomb

I cant wait to try this way of skinning. My little 2 year old loves to go with me in the woods already and man that makes me happy. :highclap:

GC

It's squirrel season here.  The last two days would have been fine spring squirrel hunting, cool, cloudy, little wind, and rainly.  Unfortunately, I couldn't make it out and now it's getting hot and humid, summertime weather. 

awh

I saw where Virginia has a note in there annual regulation review to determine if we are going to have a summer season state wide and open it up to national forest as well. Now just a few select counties have the early hunts. 

GC

We had some real late hard killing frost and everyone is predicting low/no mast crop because of it.  I was worried about the fall squirrel season.  We have a bumper crop of squirrels right now, but if there isn't anything to eat, the season is likely to be a tough one this fall.  Usually in late August the squirrels start hitting the hickories real hard.  Now everybody thinks there won't be any hickory nuts this fall.  There was a little thunderstorm the other night and I was mowing the lawn yesterday and found the wind had blown out a couple of green hickory nuts about the size of a quarter already.  Hummm... things may turn out alright in spite of the frost.  I kinda think the mast crop will be spotty.  Where the frost lay on, the trees may not bear.  Southern slopes and ridges may have some mast and be hotspots.  This happens occasionally and can really stack the game into certain areas.  Scouting can put the odds in your favor in this kind of year.  Several years ago the mast crop was like that and lots of deer hunters were struggling.  I found a big oak flat where the white oaks were dripping those big thumb size acorns.  My dad and I slipped in there and killed a couple of nice bucks about as easy as it gets in the big woods.  We never saw another hunter.   

BasinBoy

so what exactly does squirrel taste like. is it similar to a cottontail or is it a totaly different flavor

Hawks Feather

It tastes like chicken.  Actually, it is similar to rabbit, but there is not as much meat and it is tougher than rabbit.  You need to cook it correctly or it comes out like shoe leather.  My favorite way to fix squirrel is to put a couple of them in a crock pot with a can of beer and let it steam away for about six hours.  By then the meat is really tender and I take it off the bones, drain off the liquids, put in some barbecue sauce and let it go on low.  That makes some great sandwiches.

Jerry