• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Pumpkin Patch Hog...

Started by HuntnCarve, August 21, 2009, 10:49:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HuntnCarve

Todays the day we were supposed to take my daughter back to college.  So of course I'm ready to leave at the scheduled time this morning....But the wife and son were not.  Once again, I'm waiting on them!  So I step out onto the deck to cool down, and ward off any profanity, that may inadvertantly slip off my tongue..Force of habit has me glancing down at the honey holes.   I do not notice any activity there so I turn my attention towards the far field.  It too is empty. 
Then for some unexplained reason, I hear a little voice inside my head (might be the voice of HaMer??) say:  "Look to the left dummy!"  As I turn to my left, I swear I see the shape of a whistle pig, just for a milisecond?  It can't be?  Figuring it's one of those types of illusions.  Like when you are out deer hunting, and everything you see takes on the shape of a deer?  I just figured I had groundhogs on the mind...?  So turning to head back into the house, I stop myself, and walk on over to the rail on the left side of the deck. -Just to be sure?   Basically I'm looking at the strip of property between my shed, and the neighbors small pumpkin patch up against his shed.  No sooner did I make the rail, when I behold the sight of a  plump little body of a fat groundhog high stepping it through the pumpkin patch!  -Note to self:  "Always listen to  Little HaMer voice in your head when it comes to chucks!"
All thoughts quickly turned to the matter at hand.  Grabbing the .22 (magazine strategically pre- loaded with CB's) I sneak back out onto the deck.  I know the hog saw me and is seeking refuge under the neighbors shed for the time being.  But I have all the time in the world (knowing that the wife and kid would be no where near being ready to leave), and the neighbor's blessing to take out any hog that dares call his shed a sanctuary.  Laying the rifle atop the gas grill, I waited in ambush.  I didn't have long to wait.  Only 3-4 minutes elapsed, when I see Mr. chuck come waddling out.  He presents a full on, front facial pose.  I waste no time in planting the crosshairs on his forehead.  Confident that a potential "pass through shot" would be absorbed by the  railroad ties along the base of the shed, I squeeze one off.  The resultant impact was pretty spectacular!  The hog did a complete back flip off the railroad tie into the tall grass.. I tracked his movement by the thrashing commotion of the grass, watching for any attempt to make it back under the shed.   Amazingly, he rolled a circuitous 5-7 yards, but was never in sight.  So walking down there, I cautiously peered over the embankment.  A mere 2 yards away in the tall weeds, I could see his grizzled body.  Reaching forward with the rifle, I popped him in the forehead a precautionary  "Coupe de grace"  Of all the luck, he then proceeds to roll down the bank another 10 yards!  I can't leave him laying in the neighbors yard!  So with my good shoes on my feet, I for go better judgement and head down the bank after him.  He's in no need of further CB's when I get to him.  A plump, midsized silverback!  I manage to coax the daughter into taking a final "farewell" photo of a plump, midsized silverback, and the groundhog too!  I even wrote "No. 11" on the piece of paper I am holding.  Not quite a Honey Hole hog.  But I'll take them anyway I can get them! 

Bopeye

Great story Dave. I loved it.  :wink:

Note to self: Next time you hear Hamer's voice in your head. Turn abruptly, look for a tree or building and run head first into it as fast as possible.  :biggrin:
I don't want insanity to occur for you my friend.  :laf:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

coyotehunter_1

Dave, you really put the HaMer on that one.  :laf:  

:highclap: :highclap: :highclap:
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

FinsnFur

Just tell us she made it up there on time Dave :doh2: :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

pitw

Dang them things are big.  Good to have a neighbor watching the pumpkins Linus. :laf:
I say what I think not think what I say.

alscalls

Why in the hell iis HaMer in your head??! .You better see someone about that!! ........ :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Nice story.......Thanks for sharing....
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

HuntnCarve

Thanks for the kind words, and the warning Bop!  It's funny how that little voice only presents itself when there's chucks to be harvested??  It's like I have a "HaMer" on my shoulders. LOL!

Jim, you'll be happy to know the daughter is safely at college now.  We made good time, up until the section of Interstate 81 where PennDot decided to take the highway down to a single lane.  -Right at the spot where another on ramp empties onto it!!!  So you have all the Yawho's trying to squeeze in ahead of you!  I believe I spoke a few words in French this trip?

My son will go back to college on Tuesday.  So that'll end the Summer for our family.  Fortunately hunting season will be rolling in.  So that'll take the mind off the kids. -Ya still worry about them no matter how old they get.

In the meantime, I'll be closely monitoring the Honey Holes, and the Pumpkin patch for nomadic hogs.  I hope to atleast tie last seasons tally of 24, or atleast get the seasons befores 19 hogs.  I'll keep you all posted.

Dave

HuntnCarve

Alscalls, I believe anytime a person sights in on a hog, a "HaMer" like force somehow manifests itself?  Must be some kind of phenomena?  Or a psychotic episode??  The World will never know! :laf:

alscalls

AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Hawks Feather

Dave,

Sorry to hear that you have lost your photographer but am sure that you have enjoyed having her home for the summer. 

Nice shot on another groundhog, whistle pig, woodchuck, (or as our southern friends call them - Supper). 

Now about that "voice in your head", all I can say is, what is wrong with you?

Jerry

P.S.  Yea, I know I am expecting paybacks from the south and eastern Ohio.

coyotehunter_1

Dave, you mean it's an unseen power like in Star Wars...  "May the force HaMer be with you".  :wink: :biggrin:

Jerry, no pay backs from me, I agree those critters can be some good eating.   :wink: :biggrin:

Don't expect many pay backs from the eastern Ohio folks either... It seems most of them have already moved down here to Tennessee.   :rolleye:            :laf:  :laf:  :laf:
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

Bopeye

Doesn't Prozac help with "voices"? If so, when Hamer comes to LBL, we will hold him down and pour a bottle of it down his throat. Then maybe he'll get outta your head Dave, my boy.  :laf:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

HuntnCarve

Hey Chet, I think you pretty much nailed the description.  I believe a person can't set foot onto a chuck laden pasture without succumbing to the force.  Many's the the time I was talking to a farmer about shooting a few chucks off their property.  Their reply:  "Shoot all you want!  They're "hammering"(?) my soybeans!"   :laf:  Ya just can't escape it's power.. Best to just give into it.

Bop, you leave Ol' HaMer be at the LBL (save maybe a few "Bite Me's").   :laf: He's keeping you southern fellows safe from a "groundhog" infestation!  They start spilling down the Ohio Valley, there will be no stopping them!

pitw

Dave have or do you ever snare them things?  That would be right entertaining I'm a thinking :wink:.   We have none of those critters here so as usual I know nothing about the subject[doesn't keep me from entering the discussion though] :innocentwhistle:

HaMeR

All I can say about this thread is  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: & Thanks for not taking your shoe off to show us #11 Dave!!  :roflmao:

Well,,, that & you're making it sound like I'm starving those boys down South!!  :roflmao: :roflmao:  These hogs wouldn't make very big BBQ ribs!!  :nono: :nono:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

HaMeR

Barry-- I've caught them in one of those hav-a-heart traps before. Any groundhog over about 9-10lbs will wreck one of those.  :laf:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

pitw

HaMeR[why in the heck did you put that capital in there for?] I was kinda/sorta thinking of a chunk of baler twine and sorta looping it in the hole and pulling on it when he/she pokes it's noodle out. :shrug:

HaMeR

:laf: :laf:

I knew what you meant about the snare. I've never done that before. I just figured they would chew their way out of one & keep on going.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

HuntnCarve

Barry, we're not allowed to snare them, or use leg hold traps on them here in PA.  I don't quite understand that logic?  I know a couple of the Old Timers (laws be danged!) will lay a #1-1/2 or #2 in the mouth of a troublesome burrow to eradicate the occupant.  Some of the chucks get pretty big.  I've personally shot a few 15Lber's.  It's the holes they dig to fit those fat bodies in that causes the problem.  My wife's grandpap broke his back when his tractor upset on a hillside when a chuck hole collapsed under him.  He survived the incident, but took a serious interest in eliminating the varmints from his fields.  He was well into his eighties when I first met him.  Many the evening we sat in his hay fields with his .30-06 collecting him trap bait for Fall.   A lot of the old trappers would chop up a chuck with a hatchet and put it in a jar to ripen.  Then come Fall, use it for fox bait on the trapline.

HuntnCarve

Hey HaMer!  I'm mistaken about the comment that you are preventing a potential invasion of the south by the chucks.  It's Mrs. HaMer that seems to be single handedly preventing the onslaught!  Those "denizens of the deep burrows"  must surely tremble when she's behind the scope... -But only briefly! :bowingsmilie: