Fishing Equipment / Re: Getting the boat ready
Last post by Hawks Feather - March 08, 2024, 06:57:37 AM
You ARE the man!
The Tailgate / Re: Gittin the itch
Last post by FinsnFur - March 08, 2024, 05:54:00 AM
 :alscalls:  :alscalls: Were gonna need pics
Last post by nastygunz - March 08, 2024, 12:39:39 AM
I stopped canoe fishing the Connecticut River when I saw a Northern Pike go by with a cow in its mouth :innocentwhistle: 🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟
Last post by FinsnFur - March 07, 2024, 06:28:36 PM
Well played Mike. Well played  :eyebrow:
Last post by FinsnFur - March 07, 2024, 06:26:32 PM
Quote from: bigben on March 07, 2024, 06:20:31 AMthey fish flys all the time on the susquehanna.  which is a mile or more wide at its widest point but of course not that deep  very shallow running.  id be hard to understand how to fish the mississippi after fishing the wide shallow runners we have in pa.

Thats me on a lake Ben. I know the Mississippi, where the fish go and what structure they want. Fished it my whole life. Put me on a lake and I am absolutely lost. :confused:
In fact a couple years ago when the Mississippi was a disaster from floods, I took the Kayak and road tripped to several state inland lakes during our 4th of July shut down.
NEVER caught a fish. Didnt know what to use, where to go, or how to work it.
Last post by FinsnFur - March 07, 2024, 06:21:27 PM
Quote from: Okanagan on March 07, 2024, 08:46:00 AMJim, are you left handed or do you just fish baitcasting reels left handed?  I am right handed but fish left handed with all but the heaviest salt water reels.  Nice video.  Would love to get into smallies like that.  They are super fighters, pound for pound stronger than steelhead IME. WTG!

Same Clyde. I'm right handed. I just use left hand reels. I cant get my head wrapped around the concept of casting with one hand and then passing the rod and reel over to the other hand to crank it.
A LOT of people do it. I just cant make any sense of taking extra steps to juggle.
I also feel that being right hand dominant and casting with my right hand gives more casting efficiency and accuracy. But I know it another Chevy vs Ford controversy  :eyebrownod:
Last post by msmith - March 07, 2024, 01:23:56 PM
Quote from: FinsnFur on March 06, 2024, 10:13:22 PMI just wanna know who has the free livescope  :laf:  :laf:

Welp, with the Cabela's points I had, I got triple points when I got the trolling motor and $125 gift card. That gave me almost $500 in points and cards. Then I sold my little 2 man boat for $500 and caught the Garmin LSV32 on sale for $999 + 10% for using my card. This made it basically free as far as the missus is concerned. At least that's my story.

Doesn't happen often, but the planets lined up for me this time.
Last post by Hawks Feather - March 07, 2024, 01:07:03 PM
Quote from: FinsnFur on March 06, 2024, 10:13:22 PMI just wanna know who has the free livescope  :laf:  :laf:

I want in on that line too.
The Tailgate / Today in history 3-7
Last post by remrogers - March 07, 2024, 09:45:26 AM
March 7
Alexander Graham Bell patents the telephone

On March 7, 1876, 29-year-old Alexander Graham Bell receives a patent for his revolutionary new invention: the telephone.

The Scottish-born Bell worked in London with his father, Melville Bell, who developed Visible Speech, a written system used to teach speaking to the deaf. In the 1870s, the Bells moved to Boston, Massachusetts, where the younger Bell found work as a teacher at the Pemberton Avenue School for the Deaf. He later married one of his students, Mabel Hubbard.

While in Boston, Bell became very interested in the possibility of transmitting speech over wires. Samuel F.B. Morse's invention of the telegraph in 1843 had made nearly instantaneous communication possible between two distant points. The drawback of the telegraph, however, was that it still required hand-delivery of messages between telegraph stations and recipients, and only one message could be transmitted at a time. Bell wanted to improve on this by creating a "harmonic telegraph," a device that combined aspects of the telegraph and record player to allow individuals to speak to each other from a distance.

With the help of Thomas A. Watson, a Boston machine shop employee, Bell developed a prototype. In this first telephone, sound waves caused an electric current to vary in intensity and frequency, causing a thin, soft iron plate–called the diaphragm–to vibrate. These vibrations were transferred magnetically to another wire connected to a diaphragm in another, distant instrument. When that diaphragm vibrated, the original sound would be replicated in the ear of the receiving instrument. Three days after filing the patent, the telephone carried its first intelligible message—the famous "Mr. Watson, come here, I need you"—from Bell to his assistant.
Last post by Okanagan - March 07, 2024, 08:46:00 AM
Jim, are you left handed or do you just fish baitcasting reels left handed?  I am right handed but fish left handed with all but the heaviest salt water reels.  Nice video.  Would love to get into smallies like that.  They are super fighters, pound for pound stronger than steelhead IME. WTG!