• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Good hunt for Possumal and Yote Yoda

Started by possumal, October 30, 2014, 08:47:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

possumal

Possumal and Yote Yoda hooked up late this afternoon to make a couple of stands.  When we got to the area we planned on hunting, the wind had switched and was all wrong to hunt there. So we had to hustle and went to another spot more favorable. Yoda has been breaking in his new Shockwave with good results, and we set up on a long divider ridge with a big pasture leading down to a creek on his side, and a mixture of ditches, woods, and treelines on my side.  He started up the Shockwave on one of his sequences, with no takers for about 30 minutes.  We didn't have time to relocate, so we just waited a few minutes and went into another sequence which included some coyote vocals and fawn distress.  I saw 8 or 10 different deer working through the area I was watching, but no coyotes.  Finally, when it was almost too dark to see, this big male slipped up out of a ditch on to a pond dam.  He looked fine through my scope at 120 yards and I let him have one of my 70 grain Blitz Kings in his right shoulder.  DRT, a beautiful 53 lb. male in very nice fur for this early.  One hour and 12 minutes from the start of the stand to the kill.  Worth waiting for.  We have killed a lot of big males in that just before dark time. This is another example of one good stand being worth a dozen hurried stands.  Here is a picture.

Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

FinsnFur

Nice fur...and the foxpro is on a tripod now. Next thing ya know they will be adding foldout legs to them.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

riverboss

Way to wait them out. Thats a long stand but worth the wait 53 lbs is a good one.

possumal

Quote from: FinsnFur on October 30, 2014, 09:40:49 PM
Nice fur...and the foxpro is on a tripod now. Next thing ya know they will be adding foldout legs to them.

Nope Jimbo, that is Yote Yoda's tripod.  Matter of choice to use or not to use.  Personally, I wouldn't like fold out legs at all.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

JohnP

That's a long stand Al, but well worth it.  Beautiful looking coyote and 53 pounds to boot.  He would make two coyotes out here and with a pound or two left over.  Need to keep posting more coyote hunting pictures and stories.  I don't think I'll be getting out very much if at all so posts such as this keeps me going.  Sold  my Shockwave but kept the Scorpion --- just in case. 
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

possumal

John P, I sure hope you do get to go some.  I have had so much trouble with my back for the past couple of years that it has cut down on the amount of hunting I have been able to do.  The dang thing hurts wherever I am though, so I might as well be out hunting old Wiley.   Things look pretty good here for this fall and winter.  I hope to get in enough hunting for a bobcat to score on one.  We have a decent season now but our available counties with bobcats is not great.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff