• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

The birth of Honey Hole 1-1/2

Started by HuntnCarve, July 15, 2016, 01:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HuntnCarve

Hawk is always right!

"All hogs come to the Dave that waits!"- As stated by Hawk in my previous post.  Thanks Jerrry! And now the story....

Spent the morning in the shop working on my garden tractor.  Just finished up, when the wife came pulling in from the grocery store.  After helping her unload the truck and carting all the groceries to the kitchen, I ventured a glance out the deck door.  Something just didn't seem right down below?  Playing a hunch, I picked up my rifle and went out on the deck.  I did the routine scan of Honey Hole 1 and HH2, but didn't see anything.  I was just about to go back inside to get out of the 92 F heat, when I noticed a grey orb down below about 4 feet to the right of HH1?  Pulling up the rifle, the apparition of a grey hog filled the scope.  By the time I adjusted the scopes objective lens, he dropped down, obviously not too concerned.  This gave me just enough time to lean the rifle on the railing and wait him out.  About a half second later he stood up and gave me a glance.  The crosshairs locked onto the sweet spot between his eye and ear...."PLOP!"  The hog buckled from sight, but I knew the shot was good this time.
He rolled about 5 feet down the hill.

Checking out the spot where he was standing when he met his demise, I noticed a fresh dirt, and brand new den.  Honey Hole 1-1/2 is born! 

I layed the hog atop HH1-1/2

I then set my trail cam(on video mode) on the tree facing him.  I'm hoping to catch the look of glee on the foxes face when he finds this succulent meal.   I got a few photos of the fox last night on the trail cam.  He's a regular visitor.

So thanks again Jerry for your words of encouragement.  Meantime, I'll keep a lookout for any other vagrant hogs that might come a calling.
Good Hunting!

HuntnCarve
Dave

HaMeR

:laf: :laf: 3 HH's is gonna keep you busy Dave!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Hawks Feather

No problem at all.  I am just glad that I could help.   :innocentwhistle:

Thanks for another great story about your hunt.

Jerry

FinsnFur

Honey Hole 1.5 is born LMAO! :laf:
I love it.
I cant wait to see.... the Fox, in his glee :innocentwhistle: :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

pitw

Another good write up sir.  You trying to catch up in a week?
I say what I think not think what I say.

Carolina Coyote

The number 1 hog killer strikes again, way to go Dave!

HuntnCarve

Thanks guys!  In the meantime, I must be dealing with a very sneaky fox?  Got up this morning to check the trail cam.  Found four videos had been taken overnight.  In viewing them, the first two revealed the hog was gone? :confused:  The second two were of my closely cropped hairline. :laf: [Wife said it looked like a bristly woodchuck or hedgehog? :pout:].
Danged electronic apparatuses!  I'm thinking I did not have the camera pointed directly on the hog when I set it up?  Or, the fox pushed the camera off to the side, so he could enjoy his meal in privacy?  Won't tell you what the wife said, but it sort of questions my understanding of electronic devices. -There's always a critic in the crowd! :doh2:  We'll get him next time. :wink:

HuntnCarve
Dave

Hawks Feather

Dave,

All great directors know that to make an award winning video that (just like 'removing' groundhogs) it takes time and sometimes several attempts to reach perfection.  Please tell your wife that just like God had to make many other women before he created the perfect woman (who you were so lucky to marry) it may take several attempts before you get the perfect video.

Jerry

HuntnCarve

Jerry, you are such a "wordsmith"... But unfortunately after 31 years of marriage, my wife knows me like a book.  She ain't gonna buy it!  Meantime, Thanks for your help.  All I can do is keep plugging away... :yoyo:

Dave

Hawks Feather

Quote from: HuntnCarve on July 16, 2016, 09:52:23 AM
unfortunately after 31 years of marriage, my wife knows me like a book.  She ain't gonna buy it!

She sounds like my wife, but as my grandma used to say, "Every once in a while a blind pig finds an acorn."  Keep trying and maybe you will find an acorn just like the pig.

Jerry

FinsnFur

Quote from: Hawks Feather on July 16, 2016, 08:00:16 AM
Dave,

All great directors know that to make an award winning video that (just like 'removing' groundhogs) it takes time and sometimes several attempts to reach perfection.  Please tell your wife that just like God had to make many other women before he created the perfect woman (who you were so lucky to marry) it may take several attempts before you get the perfect video.

Jerry

:alscalls: :laugh2:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com