• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Showcase Call by Dogwood Creek Calls.

Started by Dogwood Creek, May 01, 2007, 04:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dogwood Creek

Hey everyone, R.J. here. Well, being the month of May, it seemed natural to offer up a Yelper for the showcase call of the month. This one is made from Tiger Maple and African Blackwood. She sports a .223 casing and some of Eastons finest arrow shafting, with a cork lip stop. A little something different. Hope you like her,R.J.

Big old PA gobbler.

Nice N.Y gobbler.

I was born in 1962 while living on a farm in Ringold PA.  The son of working class parents.  Dad didn't have much time to hunt.  He did however, support me in my passion for it.  I devoured everything I could get my hands on in the way of books. The writings of Ruark & O'Conner fueled my fire.
   The wild  Turkey was my first calling obsession, from the first one I spent lead on in 1975 to the last one.  They remain one of my two favorite pastimes.  Predators being the other.
    A short career as a competition caller drove one very important fact home.  To compete with the level of callers here in the east, you must hand set your own diaphragm calls.  So, I set about tuning my own calls for competition.  This led to calls for friends and family.  Soon, I saw the hunting community welcomed custom diaphragms with open arms.  Quality being the sole reason.  Since those early days,  I have applied the same quality to box calls, slate calls, tube yelpers and a full line of Predator calls.
   Being a father of two and a machinist by trade, I have to divide my time many ways.  I still enjoy making all the various types of calls.  Time now is of the essence.  I try to keep the lag time to a minimum on orders, and the quality high.  I wish I could do more, but there are only so many hours in a day.  I want to thank everyone that has supported me in the past.  Without all of you hard calling, died in the wool Predator and Turkey hunters, my calls would just be pieces of wood.  Knowing my calls are out there doing what they were made to do gives me great satisfaction.
    Good luck and Good hunting to you all.  R.J.

Nice wily PA gobbler and one of my early one sided box calls. That is Ol'Thunder, the Ithaca lying across the gobbler.

Bills Custom Calls

I like it!!  Good Job and some good reading keep up the good work

Bill
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

Arkyyoter

Good stuff RJ!!!! Good pics and good calls.....

Joe

DirtyDog

awh

Great looking call RJ. Like the write up and the fact that you mentioned your dad.  :congrats: :congrats:
My views and opinions are based upon being banned from a place that has no morals or the common sense God gave to a pecker gnat. I also hate frogs and will reply to such at any given chance. Thank You.

Purgatory_Predator_Calls

RJ,

Dang nice write up partner!   :congrats:   I enjoyed reading about how you got your start in call making.  Very interesting.

I know I sure love the box call I bought from you and love the yelper too!!!  Again awesome job, would hate to add a second yelper to my collection. :wink:

Joey
When you feel like you can't take another step, ALWAYS take one more!

Bygog!

www.purgatorypredatorcalls.com
CPCMCA www.custompredatorcallassociation.com

FinsnFur

Nice little bio Robert. Homegrown and heartfelt.  :yoyo:
Thanks for being a part of our site.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

vvarmitr

WOW! I didn't know you made diaphragm calls too! :shck: Ever make one for howling? We gotta talk. :biggrin:

Bob D

Nice call RJ. Your calls are some of the best. I've called lots of critters with one of yours. it goes with me on every hunt.
Bob

keekee

Very nice RJ! Well done. Thanks for stepping up and helping out! I enjoyed the Bio and the call looks awesome! Thanks!

Brent

kkbait

Hawks Feather

R.J.

Nice pictures and writeup.  Those are some nice looking birds and since I have "several" of your calls, I feel qualified to say that they too are very good.

Keep turning,

Jerry

CypressSlough

Great Bio and a beautiful trumpet.

Brian.
www.All-TerrainOutdoors.com
Brian Keahey
Texarkana, TX 75503

Todd Rahm

Hey RJ, Good to see ya.  :congrats: Ya have been keeping low profile for a while.

I see ya have been busy as there are some very nice look'n calls on your "Show Case" Banner, and some nice ones on your web site.  :wink: I like the looks of those "Presidentials" and ya know I love the "Executives"  :biggrin: Matter fact I might have to add a "Presidential" to my calls.

I really like the box call in your "Show Case" banner thingy, but I don't see any thing like it on your web page yet? Are they available for order? I asked a call maker last fall for one, but lost contact with him, and I just asked another if he made box calls, but if he doesn't make them I'd sure be interested in one like that.  :bowingsmilie: :bowingsmilie:

No, not a turkey call collector. Justa  strong desire to hunt them and I want one I can practice with and use, if I get the chance to go down south for them.  :biggrin:

Very nice write up RJ, ya always been a classy fella and it has always shown in your calls and post. Keep up the nice work.

Brad H

Great write up, RJ. It's good to see you showcased here.

Brad

Dogwood Creek

Yes, I have benn kinda "low profile" of late. The inspiration level has been a little low. I need to do something about that. I guess I lost track of all you great people, and good friends. It is kinda like coming home. Thanks for the super compliments all of you. You folks are the best.

Hey Todd, good to hear from you buddy. I know, I need to update the old web site. For the moment, the fancy boxes are on an order basis. Put quite a few of them in service this spring. Lots of good feed back too. I like a good box. Here are a couple pics of the last ones to go out.

This showcase thing was a great idea. It is going to be fun seeing everyones posts and bios. I'm glad I got to participate,R.J.

cb223

I used one of your box calls just yesterday to help me bag a nice tom. I think it is the best sounding box I own.
I really like the looks of that trumpet.
CHAD

Todd Rahm

spctbone

Awesome call and boxes, Would love to have any of them in my bag'o'tricks!  :congrats:

nailbender

Great stuff there RJ!  I'm going to try turkey hunting for the first time this weekend. Probably be the start af a new addiction. Can't get enough of the crack of dawn outdoors! :yoyo:  I'm sure you'll be on my shopping list for next year!