• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

"The Fly down" Bison Horn Howler...

Started by HuntnCarve, November 06, 2007, 10:58:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HuntnCarve

"This cockbird flew down a little early, and commenced crowing to the world.  The only thing he managed to attract was the attention of this hungry coyote"...
Back before the demise of pheasants in this part of PA, I used to sit out on the deck in the early morning, having my coffee, and listening to the cockbirds crowing and cackling for all they were worth.  Sadly they are gone, and no one knows why?  Maybe that's what inspired me to do this carving, and the last one?  November was the time for pheasants for my Brittany, and me!  He's off hunting better grounds now.  And I'm delegated to carving a tribute of better times on some horns. LOL!
This bison horn howler is 10" (tip to tip) and is accented with a Macassar ebony mouth.  The carving is highly detailed, and finely painted.  This howler has an excellent sound, and will reach way out there.  It's signed and dated.  Asking $250.00 Delivered.  Thanks for looking, and for the memories!(this one's been Sold)
HuntnCarve
Dave

Hawks Feather

Dave,

Great history and howler.  I remember birds like that around here too.  Their demise was DDT in the fields and it also didn't help that farmers started fall plowing and taking out fence rows.  They have very slowly started to come back, but not as quickly as the turkeys.

Jerry

desert dog

Love the art work Dave!!!  Detail is awesome.

Loren
www.reeselanyards.com

"what you pay for your calls is your business, protecting them is ours"

FinsnFur

They just keep getting better  :confused:

Awesome work Dave, absolutely awesome.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

possumal

Amazing workmanship, Dave. Thanks for sharing. :highclap: :highclap:
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

vvarmitr

Man, I don't know which I like more the memories or the pix.  :wo:  I'd almost have to go w/ the memory since you added the Brittany.

But then again the slinking coyote & the "Oh shit, what have I gotten myself into!" look on the cocks face.
That's one thing I love about your carvings. They aren't portraits, but are full of action & lay out a scenario.  :wink:

Todd Rahm

Thats it Dave. I'm starting a Dave Paul slush fund. Gona just keep adding to it and hope I'm lucky enough to have it full when ya come along with a beauty like this.  :bowingsmilie: :bowingsmilie: :bowingsmilie: :bowingsmilie: :bowingsmilie:

I need to find a word thats better then "AMAZING"  :wo:

HuntnCarve

Thanks everyone for the kind words!  I'm playing to a "tough" crowd.  You fellows have probably seen more exquisite calls, from the elite call makers, than a fellow can imagine.  I have to try and keep coming up with new stuff so as not to bore you.  I told one fellow, that I believe I've carved myself into a corner!  I end up doing more intricate, detailed carvings.  But they take a lot more time.  So I end up having to price them accordingly to be fair to myself, and my family.  They all usually find a home.  But am I putting them out of reach of the folks that I admire most?  One of these days, I'll pack it in...I'm kind of at a crossroads now in my call building run?  I got a few more left in me, but after that we'll just have to wait and see?  I do intend to go out on a high note!  So thanks for all the encouragement, and the kind words.  They really do mean alot to this Ol whittler!
Dave

FOsteology

WoW! That's simply spectacular Dave. You never cease to amaze and seem to outdo yourself each time.  :yoyo:

centerfire_223

Ronnie Cannon

------------->-