Main Menu

Removed

Started by Yotehntr, July 20, 2008, 11:29:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yotehntr

Removed
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

vvarmitr

WOW! What a beautiful piece of wood!  I was about to grab it when I noticed the Rookie Rings.  :doh2:   

PERSONAL RANT: Why do you call makers take a Naturally Beautiful piece & put those infernal burn rings aka Rookie Rings, on them? ??????????   Do you think you can improve on it by doing that?   :madd:

Yotehntr

Hey vvarmitr! I'd be happy to make one for you with out the rings if you'd like.

DirtyDog

Sllllllooooooowwwwwww down there VV..........you didn't need to slap the dude in the face  :nofgr:.  I bet if ya asked nice, he would make ya another one. I just so happen to know that he has a bunch of that spalted hackberry.

Rprince

Looks real good Yotehntr! I like it.   I like the rings too! :yoyo:

Todd Rahm

BY rookie rings do ya mean the accent rings around the barrel? Just curious?  :confused:

ohioyotehntr

I love that little call Dude.
As far as the comment from vvarnitr. If you dont like it, just keep you're mouth shut. You don't have to be an AZZ :nofgr:
Do you build calls or are you just running the chops. I haven't seen any of you're work :confused:
NICE TURN YOTEHNTR !!!! :yoyo:
Dusty "Dirt" Ford
Dirt's Custom Calls

HaMeR

Cool lookin call!! The little bit of spalted hackberry I've seen didn't have that real light brown cast. It was more grayish. But I like it a lot. Almost looks like you used a little bit of stain on it. I like the finish too.   :congrats: :congrats:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Todd Rahm

I don't think VV is being critical at all,just stating his preference as a customer, and I'm just inquiring about the "Rookie Ring" terminology because I haven't heard it before.  :wo:

So VV, ya know I keep notes, so enlighten me on the "Rookie Ring" term.  :biggrin:

Keep up the good work Brad.  :bowingsmilie:

ohioyotehntr

I want to clear up my comments.
vvarmitr, I DO appologize for the personal attack. That was wrong and for that, I am sorry. But with that said, I DO beleive that there is a right way and a wrong way to voice you're opinion. You're opinion is you're opinion. Thats what is great about this community. If you like it, say you like it. If you don't, it is OK to say you don't. And it is OK for you to say why YOU don't. But to make rude comments about something that a person spent ALOT of their spare time and hard work into. That's not right. I am just really learning what it takes to put out a Quality call like the one posted. It is hard work. I accept any constructive critisism that anyone has for one of the calls that I build. But I don't care for someone being rude about it. It just doesn't belong here.
I am sorry to anyone that I offended with my comments. I don't want to make any enemies. I just felt something should be said.
Dusty Ford
Dusty "Dirt" Ford
Dirt's Custom Calls

vvarmitr

First off I will apologize to no one for what I said in my "PERSONAL RANT".   :noway:  It's personal!

Second- my PR wasn't directed to Yotehntr personally, but to any callmaker  who takes a figured &/or vary colored piece of wood & applies rookie rings.
Why, why, why, do you guys do that?   :confused:  :confused:  :confused:   Are ya trying to to show us how deft you are on the lathe?  Maybe you think you're improving on what God did?  I know - you screwed up right there & you're covering up.  Great idea!  :wink:  But sell it to someone else.  :innocentwhistle:

Now Accent rings have their place w/ straight grain woods like walnut, maple, ebony,  :hahaha: ebony (j/k)  Wait don't tell me some of you have put accent rings on ebony.  :shck:  :huh:  :doh2:  :rolleye:

Yotehntr: You did an excellent job on that call. I like the bead on the bottom. the smooth flare of the bell & the way you did the top w/ the lanyard grove.  ;yes;  Most importantly, the inside of the bell.  That is soooo well done & the view is awesome!  :thumb2:  Plus, I like natural material for tone boards w/ antler being my favorite.  :eyebrow:
You have been making some great looking calls & this is one of the best, but damn those rookie rings!

Todd: Rookie Rings is of my own invention. In the wood turning world the beginners are the ones who use the burnt rings in their work, but as a turner gets more experience you will see less & less of them.  Not that a pro won't use use them, but the rings are limited & w/ a specific reason.

Todd Rahm

HaMeR

Quotebut the rings are limited & w/ a specific reason.

Looks limited & specific to me.  :shrug:  He limited them to 2 rings & specifically put them in that exact spot.  :shrug:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

ohioyotehntr

QuoteI know - you screwed up right there & you're covering up.  Great idea!
Why do you feel that they had to have screwed up on that spot to put them there? Most are not put there because of mistakes. If I make a mistake, I make a new call! At least half of the calls I have "custom" made for guys, They have ASKED for the rings. Calls have had burned rings in them for many years and they will have them for many more. It's just a matter of PERSONAL preference.
Dusty "Dirt" Ford
Dirt's Custom Calls

vvarmitr

Quote from: HaMeR on July 21, 2008, 04:23:00 PM
He limited them to 2 rings & specifically put them in that exact spot.  :shrug:
Why?!?  :shrug:

Quote from: ohioyotehntr on July 21, 2008, 04:30:45 PM
At least half of the calls I have "custom" made for guys, They have ASKED for the rings.
Just how do they ask for the rings?  :shrug:

DirtyDog

Hey guys.....we are ruining Brads thread here. He is trying to sell his call, and we are arguing about burnt accent rings. Lets move the discussions to PM's.  :thumb2:

Yotehntr

Hey Guys! sorry about all the PM's, I guess I misunderstood Jim on the deleted post topic. I want to thank you all for jumping in for me here, and for the kind words. Ya'll are the GREATEST!!! I removed the topic and the for sale item, really don't want my calls associated with all the comotion.

From my understanding "rookie rings" are light tooling marks on a turning. Something to deep for sanding (without distortion) to take out. Something a beginner would do because....well look at the term.

vvarmitr I make calls because I enjoy it, it's a hobby for me. I make my calls the way I like them, and some other folks like  them also. It's fine if you don't. Thought you were a heck of a nice guy when I met you at the LBL, don't have a clue what I've done to you. I know you said "it's not personal" but you chose the "reply" button instead of the "new topic" button.  :shrug: Dont know how else to take a hijack like that.  Strange what the keyboard does to some folks. If it  were me I'd have sent you a pm to be polite. But this is a public forum and you can rant all over I guess.

Todd Rahm

Sorry ya had to delete it.  :sad:  I'll also be the first to say your calls are far from Rookie anything.  :congrats:

Yotehntr

Hammer! forgot to answer your question, the finish is CA I didn't use any stain.

HaMeR

Thanks Brad. That sure was a nice lookin call & I'm surprised it didn't sell quickly. Can't wait to see your next one!!  :yoyo:

BTW-- You are right on the rookie rings too.  :wink:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11